Battery Life Saver

Hello.
I have a unit I bought with my new batteries called the "battery Life Saver" I have quite a few people that say they do a great job. I even have one installer that says he got some 5 year old batteries from a client who replaced his entire bank. Put one of these on it for about 3 months and it restored the battery capacity to about 80% of fatory rating. (previously was less than 50% of factory)

Since mine has been on a new bank for 4 months I cannot see any changes since if it is working it is preventing sulphation rather than reducing it.

Anyone have anything good/bad to say about these.

Thanks,

Scott

Comments

• phoenixfire
    phoenixfire Registered Users Posts: 12
    Re: Battery Life Saver

I figured for 90$ if it made even a tiny difference there wasnt anything to lose.

Scott
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭

What else might you be willing to dump 90 dollars on and İ'll see if İ can find it for you;)

This sounds like power factor improvement devices, magnetic water treatment, magnetic fuel treatment etc. Difficult to show it is not working and for the people that bought it - they often feel they have to swear how it is not to look foolish.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

there's no getting around not bringing a battery up to full charge to prevent damages to it. it is foolhearty imo to waste valuable charge power to operate such a device.
  • phoenixfire

Considering this unit has a total daily draw af 3AH and also considering that I have NEVER let my batteries go below 60% normally never below 75% and am not affraid to use the generator when needed. Using the term foolhearty would seem a bit Foolhearty to me. :p

I did my research on this thing. I read the white papers. and the patent filing. I talked to their technical people, even had a discussion with the co-founder of the company. Like I said when spending $2400 on batteries if this thing gave me 5% more life (about 3 months ar 5 years) it was worth the expense.

I asked for opinions and you are entitled to yours but being crass is not helpfull.

Scott
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

While nothings better than a properly charged battery, I have 2 24volt (solar draws nothing from the battery) truck versions hooked up to my small 24 volt system (4 - 6 volt GC batteries)

I've read an article, I thought in Home Power, but can't find it, with some testing of them with positive results. I'll look some more when I get a chance.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • phoenixfire
    Photowhit wrote: »
    While nothings better than a properly charged battery, I have 2 24volt (solar draws nothing from the battery) truck versions hooked up to my small 24 volt system (4 - 6 volt GC batteries)

I've read an article, I thought in Home Power, but can't find it, with some testing of them with positive results. I'll look some more when I get a chance.

I know Tom over at Backwoods Solar put one of these on an older battery bank that was on the verge or replacement and he had pretty amazing results. It took almost 4 months to complete the improvement , which most people are too impatient to wait for, but I have found nothing but good info on this thing hence why I bought it.

I agree on the properly charged battery but even batteries in the most ideal conditions, charged perfectly for their entire lives will still die due to sulphation (barring any other issue first) I figured that this is not a replacement for good battery care but a tool to help longevity.

Scott
  • CaptTurbo
    CaptTurbo Solar Expert Posts: 66 ✭✭✭✭

I don't have experience with the gizmo the thread pertains to exactly but I did have two "victories" of saving batteries with a computerized battery charger that I bought from Sam's Club using the desulfate mode. The funny thing was that it worked on the first battery I tried it on. I thought it was a mirical machine! LOL!

I tried it on about ten batteries after that and only saved one more so I would guess it works on 20% of the situations that at least I encounter. These were mostly marine batteries if that has any bearing on things.
  • niel

"I asked for opinions and you are entitled to yours but being crass is not helpfull."

if you have your mind made up that you don't want to hear anything to the contrary then don't ask for opinions. i was not being crass, just bluntly honest. this thread is now hereby being moved due to the nature of the thread.
  • Photowhit
    niel wrote: »
    "I asked for opinions and you are entitled to yours but being crass is not helpfull."

if you have your mind made up that you don't want to hear anything to the contrary then don't ask for opinions. i was not being crass, just bluntly honest. this thread is now hereby being moved due to the nature of the thread.

I miss the name calling, but I hope moving this to the "Skeptics, Hype, & Scams Corner" isn't just a knee jerk reaction!

Indeed our Sponsor NAWS sells them HERE.

I have seen them setup and running in a long time retailer Simpler Solar Systems

I think moving the discussion to "Skeptics, Hype, & Scams" shows a personal opinion rather than an open discussion.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • niel

matters not if it's here or where i placed it as our host scolded me at a different time for not placing it in such an area due to it being unproven technology. our host will sell those items due to people asking for them. no knee jerk reaction was here on my part either and i am just doing what i am supposed to do as moderator. i personally don't care if he does buy them as i gave my opinion and moved this controversial thread to an area more applicable. carry on with the subject matter and i am not the subject matter photowhit.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

It is up to the moderators, Bill & Niel, and the Admin Windsun to decide what is appropriate content and placement; not us.
    If they've had a private discussion regarding a thread and made a decision to move/alter/delete it that's their business. We will only see the result.
    If anyone has an issue with such things they can send a PM to the appropriate party, rather than make a public display of it.

I am not a moderator, so don't PM me with your complaints.

Let's keep it civil, okay? :D
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Don't worry--We are people too (moderators) and don't always agree. I am just going to stay out of this conversation.

-Bill

PS: I should add, I am the one that made this last group of changes (or restoration of the last changes). My 2 cents--just discuss the product/facts.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit
    It is up to the moderators, Bill & Niel, and the Admin Windsun to decide what is appropriate content and placement; not us.
    If they've had a private discussion regarding a thread and made a decision to move/alter/delete it that's their business. We will only see the result.
    If anyone has an issue with such things they can send a PM to the appropriate party, rather than make a public display of it.

I am not a moderator, so don't PM me with your complaints.

Let's keep it civil, okay? :D

I hope this wasn't directed at me.

I made a rational argument, including links and knowledge to support my case.

You didn't want a PM so I'll post it here.

-Whit
  • niel

bb and myself already told everybody to stay on topic. if this continues we will be forced to do something. this is the final time we'll say it.
  • lorelec
    lorelec Solar Expert Posts: 200 ✭✭

SOO....Home Power did have a writeup on one of these a number of years ago, and if I'm not mistaken one issue also featured a homebrew project. I'll have to see if I can find them. Seems to me they had reported at least some success in rejuvenating batteries this way.

Marc
  • thenderson4
    thenderson4 Registered Users Posts: 16 ✭✭

I am a person who enjoys debunking myths, call it what you want, but I intend to get to the bottom of this device using occilloscopes, mock-ups, whatever it takes, within reason. If anybody feels like I do, (experimenting) then please help. I will be using the Battery Life Saver on L16 FLA, 12 v car batteries, marine batteries, AGM, etc. Please join.

Tom
  • Photowhit

Wow did you win the lottery?

This would be very expensive, I might believe results if you started with 10 each of the same system one with and one with out. Very tight controls, throwing out the best and worst of each for internal battery problems. Each would have to have identical loads at the same time relative to charging and identical charging meaning off the grid. Lots of wasted energy there, for 5-8 years with L16's.

Let me know when you publish your results!

I'd be very interested.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

I am new member to this forum and have yet to put in my first solar system however I have had experience with what I believe is a similar product marketed as "Megapulse". I now have three of these on two cars and a boat, the first would be four years old [an early MkII model]. Certainly in an automotive application it does seem to extend battery life. I had a three year old car battery that was well done on cranking power and I almost out another three years out of it [engine failed before battery did].
  • H2SO4_guy
    H2SO4_guy Solar Expert Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

Home Power Issue #77 had it.
    12K asst panels charging through Midnite Classic 150's, powering Exeltechs and Outback VFX-3648 inverter at 12 and 48 volts.  2080 AH @ 48 VDC of Panasonic Stationary batteries (2 strings of 1040 AH each) purchased for slightly over scrap, installed August 2013.  Outback PSX-240X for 220 volt duties.  No genny usage since 2014. 
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    KeithT wrote: »
    I am new member to this forum and have yet to put in my first solar system however I have had experience with what I believe is a similar product marketed as "Megapulse". I now have three of these on two cars and a boat, the first would be four years old [an early MkII model]. Certainly in an automotive application it does seem to extend battery life. I had a three year old car battery that was well done on cranking power and I almost out another three years out of it [engine failed before battery did].

Welcome to the forum, Keith.

This is what is known as "anecdotal evidence". It would appear that the unit helped, but there is no side-by-side test other batteries in the same state to see if it really did or is just coincidence.

Personally I don't know how people manage to ruin batteries so quickly. Three years? I've never had a car battery give up that quickly! Six years is quite normal for battery life here in the Great White North provided you don't abuse them. This leads me to believe it was charging, and not the desulphator per se, that did the trick.

Since it's essentially impossible to have two batteries subjected to the same trials (even identical ones start out different) a true test could only be done on a basis of analysis of a wide variety of batteries, with before and after load testing to see if there is any capacity recovery or in the case of a maintenance test difference in deterioration. Very difficult to duplicate years of service fast enough to make testing practical.

As always, caveat emptor.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭

Regardless of where the thread is lodged on this forum, I doubt that you will get many responses here from people who have actually tried them, either positive or negative. There are separate "battery fanatic" forums that go into these strategies and devices in much greater depth.
    You will have to take absolutely everything with a grain of salt (the Skeptic part) since anecdotal reports rather than controlled experiments do not prove anything. They just suggest areas to explore. But there does appear to be something there worth exploring, whether the immediate investment in a unit is justified or not.
    Unfortunately most people do not want to do a controlled experiment with two battery banks to see what happens! The expense is too high. And experiments with very small batteries may not be fully applicable.
    Last rambling: most commercial users consider 80% capacity for an FLA battery to be end of life by definition. So the improvement from 50% to 80% is impressive, but you might or might not want to keep using those batteries. If they were free, then any gain is a win as long as the end result is usable.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Belief in these devices is like belief in a religion. There is no proof one way or the other, yet some believe fully, perhaps even fanatically, while others, including myself, do not believe in the supposed power of such devices and put our effort and money elsewhere. Likewise, as with any religion, we have believers who work to spread the "faith", and those who lock the door when they see the zealots coming up the driveway.
    So perhaps it's time to say "to each his own", and move on.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    inetdog wrote: »
    There are separate "battery fanatic" forums that go into these strategies and devices in much greater depth.

here is a link: http://leadacidbatterydesulfation.yuku.com

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i