Reference thread on DC LED lights for RV?

Options
bmet
bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
My 2002 Alumiscape RV uses single-contact, bayonet type automotive bulbs for it's interior lighting. So far, I haven't found much in the way of RV oriented products, mostly two types. 1.) multiple LED head to create more light. 2.) power LED very focused to a spot. I'd like to find an LED with an even illumination pattern without having to change fixtures.

I recall their was a good thread on 12V LED lights some time back. Any RVers who could recommend a forum? Thank you.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options
    Re: Reference thread on DC LED lights for RV?

Is this the thread you are looking for?

12v LED w/traditional screw in connect available?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • bmet
    Options

B.B. , That is exactly the thread! Thank You very much! :D
  • vcallaway
    vcallaway Solar Expert Posts: 157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I wasted a lot of money on various LED replacements. They either had bad color or too low of output.

I finally broke down and spent good money on this one from Camping World. These are very bright and put out a good like to read/work by. They are not cheap but I am very glad I spent the money.

I replaced the old dual bulb fixtures with the single LED fixture. The single LED is actually brighter than the old dual bulb ones. There are a couple of places that have them a bit cheaper. I spent a few bucks extra on one of them to get the 2 yr replacement. If any go out they will exchange it for a new one.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wiredco http://www.wiredco.com/LED_Flashing_Lighting_s/1847.htm
    also has a good selection of LED's, many colors, bases, striplines.... And best prices on computer/video cables and other gear too, I've gotten a fair amount of nifty stuff from them over the last few years.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• bmet
    Options

Thank you both for those references. I see some great alternatives to the filament bulbs currently in place.
  • jagec
    jagec Solar Expert Posts: 157 ✭✭
    Options

They will NOT fit your current fixtures, but I made myself a 12VDC table lamp from a pair of the "102 SMD LED headlight H4" that pop up on ebay. I think it cost me $8 shipped for the pair, and they put out a fairly decent amount and color of light (about as white as a standard fluorescent tube lamp, about as bright as a standard ~13W CFL).

Most of the 12V LEDs on the market still seem to be not bright enough, or staggeringly expensive.
  • bmet
    Options
    jagec wrote: »
    They will NOT fit your current fixtures, but I made myself a 12VDC table lamp from a pair of the "102 SMD LED headlight H4" that pop up on ebay. I think it cost me $8 shipped for the pair, and they put out a fairly decent amount and color of light (about as white as a standard fluorescent tube lamp, about as bright as a standard ~13W CFL).

Most of the 12V LEDs on the market still seem to be not bright enough, or staggeringly expensive.

Are you referring to a specific type of LED which wont fit the single-contact, twist-lock base? I saw several which look to be an exact replacement, and the "covers" to my fixtures are fairly large.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I bought a few of the 1156/57 type in the second and third groups on this page, no problems installing and replacing the covers in my camper. Also put some of the directional types in the 'reading lamps'...

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Ftail-brake-turn.html

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • jagec
    Options
    bmet wrote: »
    Are you referring to a specific type of LED which wont fit the single-contact, twist-lock base? I saw several which look to be an exact replacement, and the "covers" to my fixtures are fairly large.

I'm talking about the ones that are intended to be headlight/foglight replacements, with just over 100 individual LEDs in a "corncob" arrangement ("H4" form factor, here's an ebay example). The "1157" form factor LEDs (turn signal/brake light replacements, which are probably the kind that fit in your fixtures) are usually much less bright, even though they cost about the same. But if you've got enough space in your fixture, you could potentially rewire for the "H4" bulbs if you wanted...
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options

A generic warning about LEDs in general... Unlike filament bulbs which work very nicely when "hot", LED's have very poor life if they are not well heat sinked.

Many of the "simple" White LED's ("transistor style plastic case") may last only 50-100 hours or so before the phosphors/case fail from heat (LED turns black).

And "corn cob" and other multi-LED lamp assemblies have very poor heat sinking and will not last near the 20,000-50,000 hours as advertised.

I am trying some LED lamps from Costco and Home Depot that only draw something like 9 watts each--installed in open base fixtures (or even fixtures with vents at the top too)--And these large metal finned lamp assemblies get too hot to hold in your hand even in cool weather (I was very surprised).

If you want to try the LED lamps--I would suggest you only get a few of the "expensive" ones to try out first for a few months/year and see how well they work long term. Paying $10-$20+ for lamps that don't last is not good.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    Options

Jagec, why jig around when they have these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pcs-BA15S-1156-102-SMD-LED-Super-White-Car-Turn-Tail-Light-Bulb-Lamp-/300638738684?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item45ff7718fc
    102 leds and 1156 base

still 350 Lm a bit less than 480 from H4 type
    ej

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • bmet
    Options

WestBranch,

My only concern for those referenced LEDs, is that they are listed for a class of lamps which are used intermittently, not constantly. Are you using them as primary light in your living areas? My intent is to replace the 6 filament lamps in the living area of my RV, with 2 LED alternatives, hopefully being brighter while using less battery power.
  • westbranch
    Options

bmet, I see where you are coming from. Good point about the heat buildup, I'll watch that. Is it safe to assume that a 5W LED will generate the same heat as a 5W incandescent?

We use most of the lights for shorter time periods, say up to 1 hour for cooking(single), eating(double), showering(single), washing dishes(double). The longest used lights are the bedside reading lights (2single x~2 hrs). There I have used the 9 led tail lights. The longer ones (also tail lights) in the other fixtures.
    My focus has been getting the load reduced for lighting and getting a 'drop in' solution with a secondary objective of maximizing light. I'll put up with lower light in the general use area (but not for reading). Mind you the current ones are brighter than the 5w incandescent.
    ps the camper is a 10 footer with a cab-over North/S bed
    e
    pps I see there are also H3 replacements as well

• bmet
    Options
    westbranch wrote: »
    Is it safe to assume that a 5W LED will generate the same heat as a 5W incandescent?

We use most of the lights for shorter time periods, say up to 1 hour for cooking(single), eating(double), showering(single), washing dishes(double). The longest used lights are the bedside reading lights (2single x~2 hrs). There I have used the 9 led tail lights. The longer ones (also tail lights) in the other fixtures.
    My focus has been getting the load reduced for lighting and getting a 'drop in' solution with a secondary objective of maximizing light. I'll put up with lower light in the general use area (but not for reading). Mind you the current ones are brighter than the 5w incandescent.
    ps the camper is a 10 footer with a cab-over North/S bed
    e
    pps I see there are also H3 replacements as well

I haven't had any new LEDs get as warm as even an old christmas bulb. In the high- powered LED I believe B.B. touched upon some heatsink issues as a root cause, but YMMV. I've bought AC LED lamps for years, and none of them ever got 'hot' to the touch, only warm.

With intermittant-use lamps, I assumed they would be like shooting stars, bright but short. If you are running them an hour at a time, perhaps I need a new paradign.
  • westbranch
    Options

Thinking about the heat issue, I have NOT checked these auto replacements for heat output yet.
    However the MR16 units I used in the old shack were 3 4& 5 watt units and they DID get quite hot. mind you they were track mounted on the ceiling and in the same space as the wood cookstove. the 3,4 & 5 w units had progressively better heat dissipating designs but the shrouds don't vent well. Before adjusting them they had to cool or you use a glove

• jagec
    Options
    westbranch wrote: »
    Jagec, why jig around when they have these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pcs-BA15S-1156-102-SMD-LED-Super-White-Car-Turn-Tail-Light-Bulb-Lamp-/300638738684?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item45ff7718fc
    102 leds and 1156 base

still 350 Lm a bit less than 480 from H4 type
    ej

Only because I didn't see those.

At those prices it's almost worth just stocking up on spares, or even installing a low-powered fan to provide forced-air cooling.

Also, a 5W LED generates EXACTLY the same heat as a 5W incandescent, but the location of heat generation, and the temperature that the lamp can handle, is quite different.