Sunelec prices! Any reason not to buy?

themaxx69
themaxx69 Registered Users Posts: 23
Ever since I've been looking this year, I have noticed sunelec's prices have been insainly low compared to what I have heard about solar prices in the years past. And now they are advertising Evergreen high voltage "B" panels for 78 cents a watt.

My question is, is there any reason not to buy from them? Either their "A" or "B" panels? The "B" panels are advertised as UL rated and FULL warranty. Even the "A" panels are only a little over $1 a watt.

At these prices why would you not buy???

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Sunelec prices! Any reason not to buy?

That company seems to give fairly poor customer service, based on reports here and elsewhere. Sometimes you get what you pay for. B panles, as I read it, are not UL and would not fly on Grid Tie systems, if that is your application.

This thread starting on page 5, about post 41 has some info:
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?12941-Solar-Panel-prices-STILL-Dropping/page5&highlight=sunelec

I have NO personal experience with the company you referred to. I use the generous host of THIS SITE for most of my Solar stuff:
    http://www.solar-electric.com/

Good HONEST folks that are available to solve problems and help with system configuration etc. Just MHO, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Please read through this thread carefully: http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?13559-78-cents-per-watt-is-it-too-good-to-be-true

Their business practices seem to be somewhat erratic.

Also please remember this forum is hosted Northern Arizona Wind and Sun, a reputable business.

And we are NOT going to get into yet another discussion of Sunelec.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

'B' panels are blemished panels, I purchased some Evergreen 'B' from the formentioned company and they were UL rated, and I suspect they ones they are selling currently are/will be as well.

Things to consider are; Evergreen is not long for this world, so the warranty is ???, and these are non standard voltage so they require a MPPT type charge controller, roughly $550-700 per delievered 50Amps (12, 24 or 48volts)

The post 'coot has posted relates directly to this current situation.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Re: Sunelec - my experience, not speculation

I have not yet received my panels from them, IT took them ten days to return a copy of my paid invoice. Mine is also a small order, which the CEO of that company detests with a passion. You can feel his dislike of small customers in his weekly blog, here is just one quote from a current deal:

"By 20 or 40′ container only for now. Smaller Orders Available in 38 days." Really?

Update: According to the CEO's blog, this deal concluded today, 4 days after being announced. Small orders were never an option.

Purchases are further restricted by refusing credit cards, requiring certified cashiers checks, Amex money orders, or gold. Further, these deals are shoved down the buyers's throats requiring 100% up front before Sunelec actually has possession of the inventory. Sunelec wants you to pony-up 100% on faith right now, but YOU wait till some deal on the other side of the world goes thru.

I am not saying these are insurmountable requirements, but considering the difficulty customers have in getting through to an actual competent sales person (and the emailed insult I received from the CEO of Sunelec) it's clear this company doesn't believe small customers warrant the time of day.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
    Re: Sunelec - my experience, not speculation

I think there is enough information for now... NAWS (our host) is a competitor of their's and we don't want the Wind-Sun forum to become the focus of customer/vendor issues.

None of us Moderators here are involved with any solar businesses, including NAWS (that I am aware of), and it is difficult for us to moderate these types of posts/threads as we have zero background on any of the discussions.

As with any vendors, there are customers with good and not so good stories to tell.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • oldchuck
    oldchuck Registered Users Posts: 7

My experience: So far so good. I've never ordered anything from Sun before but I couldn't pass up the price on this deal. I ordered two pallets (56 panels) in November. Paid out front with a couple of cards and crossed my fingers that it would come out okay. I watched the web site updates as they progressed from Europe to Florida but felt no need to contact them. Yesterday they called with a freight company name, phone number, and shipping number. My panels are currently in Georgia and expected to arrive in Vermont by the end of the week. Hope I get what I paid for.
  • themaxx69
    themaxx69 Registered Users Posts: 23
    oldchuck wrote: »
    My experience: So far so good. I've never ordered anything from Sun before but I couldn't pass up the price on this deal. I ordered two pallets (56 panels) in November. Paid out front with a couple of cards and crossed my fingers that it would come out okay. I watched the web site updates as they progressed from Europe to Florida but felt no need to contact them. Yesterday they called with a freight company name, phone number, and shipping number. My panels are currently in Georgia and expected to arrive in Vermont by the end of the week. Hope I get what I paid for.

Might have enough to try and get a pallet soon. Keep us posted!
  • bbbuddy
    bbbuddy Solar Expert Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

Last year I first called their Fla office, lousy customer relations, lol.

Since we live in Az, I contacted their Phoenix office, a very nice woman there, Margaree, helped me out.
    I purchased through her, and picked up my panels at the warehouse. Very satisfied, great price.

I purchased everything else through our host....
    Magnum4024PAE, 2 Midnite Classic 150s, 3100watts solar, 432ah lifepo4 battery.  Off grid since 2004.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Okay, when I said we're not going to have yet another thread discussing the business practices of this company I mean it. One thread on the matter which involved them directly went ugly and had to be closed. The thread linked to above is still open, so please post any new experiences with them there. This thread will be closed, and if that one gets out of hand it will be too.

All of which pretty much answers the OP's question. :roll:
This discussion has been closed.