Quick easy question (im just dumb..lol)

Options
mvandeusen
mvandeusen Registered Users Posts: 16
HI

I have a 40 amp Morningstar with TriStar TS-M-2 on it. I am wondering what is the MAX amount of 120w panels I can attach to the with the 120's i thing are at 7.7amp.

thank you

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Quick easy question (im just dumb..lol)
    mvandeusen wrote: »
    HI

I have a 40 amp Morningstar with TriStar TS-M-2 on it. I am wondering what is the MAX amount of 120w panels I can attach to the with the 120's i thing are at 7.7amp.

thank you

Your controller, is it a TS-45, or a TS-MPPT-45 ? There is a difference, the MPPT model can handle higher voltages and down-convert the voltage to match battery voltage, turning the excess solar panel voltage into extra amps. The other one cannot take advantage of the extra voltage.
    If your controller is the MPPT model, then what is the max open circuit/no load voltage of your panels?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

I am no MorningStar expert, but I don't believe they have a 40 amp charge controller...

There are TS models in 45 and 60 amp--plus there is a PWM (less expensive) and a MPPT (more expensive, more capable) model too.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mvandeusen
    Options

mistype it is a 60amp and the other answer about volts..

Here are the specs to my 125w panels

max power voltage 18.4v

max power current 7 amp

open cuircut voltage 22.5

open cuircut current 7.5 amp

BTW is that good for a 125?

anyway how many of these to the 60amp morningstar can I use.

thanks
  • BB.
    Options

Still need to know what type of controller... MPPT or PWM.

wind-sun_2184_15401044Morningstar TriStar 60 amp MPPT solar charge controller

wind-sun_2185_57737422TriStar 60 amp 12, 24, 48 volt PWM solar charge controller

They both look pretty much the same on the outside. The second picture includes your digital meter in the base.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mvandeusen
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    pStill need to know what type of controller... MPPT or PWM.

wind-sun_2184_15401044Morningstar TriStar 60 amp MPPT solar charge controller

wind-sun_2185_57737422TriStar 60 amp 12, 24, 48 volt PWM solar charge controller

They both look pretty much the same on the outside. The second picture includes your digital meter in the base.

-Bill

That is it.. Do you know how many of my panels can I add to it before I need another controller? Thanks
  • mvandeusen
    Options

Would I simply go 8 divided into 60 = 7.5 panels so then I would say 7 panels is my limit?
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mvandeusen wrote: »
    That is it.. Do you know how many of my panels can I add to it before I need another controller? Thanks

"That is it" ? Which one is "it"? The TS-60, or the TS-MPPT-60? The answer will be different. They look very much the same, but they are not the same.
    And for that matter, the TS-45 and the TS-MPPT-45 look very much the same as the TS-60 and the TS-MPPT-60, but they are definitely not the same! They are four different controllers with four different abilities and specs.
  • mvandeusen
    Options

I have the ts-60 thanks
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've read the posts, and I did not find the voltage of the system you are using, 12V batteries, or 48V batteries

Either way, the spec is for the OUTPUT Amps of the controller.
    You have the PWM controller, so add the amps of the panels going into it, and when you reach 60amps, that's all you can feed it.
    7A panels, 12V battery - you could go up to 9 panels (of the type you listed) in parallel, for 63 amps. If you figure by the time the sun is perfectly aligned to the panels for full power, your batteries should be pulling less than full power, you won't blow the controller. 8 panels would insure no blown controller (only 56a).
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    Options

I will go ahead and close this thread... Question asked and answered.

-Bill "Moderator" B.
This discussion has been closed.