How to meet Vermont code? (requires propane cookstove to be vented)

2»

Comments

• ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Re: How to meet Vermont code? (requires propane cookstove to be vented)
    icarus wrote: »
    ... clearly the local inspection agency does not take the I sue seriously.

I don't normally point out typos, but that one is pretty funny.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

All this is, in part why most fuel burning appliances including wood stoves, water heaters, furnaces etc, are now sealed combustion. They draw their own combustion air from outside, and don't miss it with conditioned air. A side note problem with wood stoves. Is, if you are drawing air from out side at sy -30 you are also cooling down your exhaust stack temp by a similar amount. The issu can increase creosote production if one doesn't burn properly.

Tony

Ps,, I like the typo,, the auto correct on the iPad comes up with some interesting stuff that is very easy to mix.

T
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Good to know about the Aga's. Maybe one day British Columbia will be included as part of Canada like Ontario & Quebec. :p (Canadian joke; I don't expect anyone else to understand it.)

Coot , Just drop into the WEST Van 'Y Franks' store and peruse all the different Aga stoves....BTW keep a strong hand on your wallet...

http://www.aga-ranges.com/where/dealer_detail.asp?recid=152&dealtype=deal

too bad they don't carry the wood/oil/coal models

Oh ya and then there is the added cost of beefing up the floor etc.. they weigh a ton! well maybe a bit less than a ton @ ~ 1300 #

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Oh no!
    If my wife ever finds out about that place she'll expect me to "nip down there and pick one up." :cry:
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

I had to almost drag mine out kickin' and screamin'... well sort of...
    there was a lot of wailing though, when she 'discovered' they had them... and we couldn't just take one home.

We also saw some other brands in England a few years back. A fair bit cheaper too. Don't remember the names though.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Jeff Gephart
    Jeff Gephart Registered Users Posts: 1

To the thread originator. You were either advised incorrectly or misunderstood what VT's Energy Code Assistance Center said. The Vermont Residential Building Energy Code Handbook, Third Edition Effective October 1, 2011, Section 2.2a Oil and Gas Appliances (page 13) states, "Unvented fuel-fired heaters, including room heaters and unvented fireplaces are prohibited." VT code applies to heating appliances not cooking appliances. Not required by code but appropriate for the protection of good indoor air quality would be the use of a good kitchen exhaust fan when either natural gas or propane cooking appliances are used. The Handbook can be seen at: http://publicservice.vermont.gov/energy/ee_files/rbes/VT%20Energy%20Code%20Handbook_8%2025%2011.pdf
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    To the thread originator. You were either advised incorrectly

Jeff, welcome to the forum.

Yes, I was advised incorrectly by the Energy Code Assistance Center. Ultimately I did get straightened out (see post #22). --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i