Need advice on component configeration

Mark M
Mark M Registered Users Posts: 9
Hi, I have a system I am going to set up. The parts are already bought so I just need some help as I am not very technical in solar.

I have 4 KC130Tm 12v panels and 2 100 watt 12v panels, two xantrex c60 charge controllers, and a xantrex 4024 inverter/charger. 4 12v agm batteries and a large transformer to change the 120 to 240 to power my well when the grid is down.

I believe the panels to all be 12v output. The specs on the KC130tms are 21.7 open circuit voltage, and voltage at load of 17.4 so I assume these are 12v. Please correct me if I am wrong.

My goal is to maintain the batteries for water pumping in case of grid failure and use any excess power to heat my basement.

Questions, if the panels are 12 volt and batteries are 12 v and charge controllers are 12/24 volt and inverter/charger is 24 volt. Do I just run 12 v down to the charge/load controller and then out of the batteries run series/parallel to get 24v to supply the inverter?

I also want to use the 2 c60's to keep the batteries charged with one and use the other to dump excess power to a heater to heat basement. Will I need both of these or just one?

If someone can clear this up I would be thankfull.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Need advice on component configeration

Welcome to the forum.

What you're going for is a 24 Volt system. The K130's are "12 Volt" panels, so all you have to do is put two in series to make a "24 Volt" string. Parallel the two strings and you have a 520 Watt "24 Volt" array which can feed through a C60 to a 24 Volt battery bank.

Without knowing the specs on the 100 Watt panels it's impossible to say how well they could be integrated into the system.

Even so, altogether you'd have 720 Watts, which is not going to supply a lot of surplus power for heating anything. Remember that is peak power, and will only appear under ideal conditions. For the most part your 720 Watt array will produce about 554 Watts average over the hours of good sunlight, or roughly 2.2 kW hours per day under sunny conditions.

Now let's look at the batteries. You don't give any specs on them so I can only say what 720 Watts of panel can support: about 231 Amp hours @ 24 Volts. That's not a lot. Four "golf cart" type batteries @ 220 Amp hours & 6 Volts in series. Probably a better choice than the more expensive AGM's. Also, the C60 is overkill for a charge controller as you're not likely to see even 25 Amps @ 24 Volts from that array.

Not sure which Xantrex 4024 you've got, but the new XW series with that number supplies 240 VAC without an additional transformer.

Will this run a well pump? Probably. That depends on the pump. They can be quite mean on start-up and demand some pretty high initial current. For how long is another issue: you'd basically have about 100 Amp hours @ 24 Volts or 2.4 kW hours of power available.

Will you have any surplus power for heating anything? Probably not. The over-all capacity of that array when converted to AC Watt hours would be about 1.5 kW hours per day, which would run a 1500 Watt heater for one hour. I can tell you from personal experience with electric heaters that is nothing in terms of heating space.

Was this of any help?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Mark M wrote: »
    I have 4 KC130Tm 12v panels and 2 100 watt 12v panels, two xantrex c60 charge controllers, and a xantrex 4024 inverter/charger.
    Is this a Xantrex XW 4024 inverter?
    4 12v agm batteries and a large transformer to change the 120 to 240 to power my well when the grid is down.
    What is the Amp*Hour Rating of the batteries?

In general, it is recommended that you would run around 800 AH battery bank @ 24 volts (assuming 8kW maximum inverter surge current).

AGMs can support much higher surge currents than Flooded Cell Batteries--But there are some potential issues with MPPT charge controllers and low AH battery banks (your C60's are PWM--so are less of an issue).
    I believe the panels to all be 12v output. The specs on the KC130tms are 21.7 open circuit voltage, and voltage at load of 17.4 so I assume these are 12v. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Yes, around Vmp of 17.4 volts is a "12 volt" panel and fine for charging (two in series for charging a 24 volt battery bank).
    My goal is to maintain the batteries for water pumping in case of grid failure and use any excess power to heat my basement.

What are your power needs/expectations? Typically, in Watt*Hours or kWH per day.

For a 4kW inverter system, your solar panels sound pretty small. A 720 watt system and assuming ~4 hours minimum sun per day (don't know where you are located) and a 52% system efficiency:
    • 720 Watts * 4 hours * 0.52 system derating = 1,498 WH per day (120 VAC).
    A typical 1 HP well pump running 1 hour per day will use all of that energy up in ~1 day with nothing left over for other uses.

Questions, if the panels are 12 volt and batteries are 12 v and charge controllers are 12/24 volt and inverter/charger is 24 volt. Do I just run 12 v down to the charge/load controller and then out of the batteries run series/parallel to get 24v to supply the inverter?
    One configuration would be to connect the panels into pairs of series connected solar panels (Vmp~34.4 volts). Then connect all of those strings (using appropriate fuses/breakers per string) together and run to the C60 Charge Controller (as "24 volt" array).

You could use the second C60 as a diversion controller and set it up to dump excess power to an electric heater... But, that right now is the equivalent of a 1,500 watt heater running ~ 1 hour per day... Electric heat from a solar PV array is typically not very efficient or cost effective (sounds like you don't want to waste the "Free Power" by keeping your basement warm).

Also, using diversion controllers for charge control is less than ideal. They tend to cycle the batteries more and therefore the batteries will not last quite as long (plus you need to set the battery charging voltage for the solar charger higher than that of the diversion controller so the solar panels stay connected and the diversion controller burns your excess power).
    I also want to use the 2 c60's to keep the batteries charged with one and use the other to dump excess power to a heater to heat basement. Will I need both of these or just one?

Technically, you only need one diversion controller--However, because things fail, having a second charge controller (either as a series or 2nd diversion controller) is a good idea to prevent battery damage or worse (excessive production of hydrogen gases and/or overheating battery bank).

I think we can be a bit more help if you tell us more about your existing hardware (battery capacity, roughly where the system is installed, and your power/load support needs).

In general, solar PV power is expensive and most installations can be done "better" (cheaper) with a bit of conservation (different pumps, conservation, etc.).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Mark M

Thank you Alfred and Bill, very helpful. And encouraging. The xantrex is the SW plus 4024. Older model that is only 120 vac.
    The batteries are sun extender pvx 1040t 104 ah. I live in central Michigan so we do not get allot of sun in the winter. The system is going to be just outside the house on south side ground mounted about 25 foot max from panels to batteries.
    I have studied up on the wiring of series and parallel and think I can figure that out.
    I have a few more items for the system that I did not list.
    I also have a dc disconnect over current box with a airpax 250 breaker and a 60amp airpax 1 pole disconnect unit that bolts into the side of this box. Also have a battery temp sensor that plugs into the sw 4024 unit. And a c40 charge controller face cover that replaces the cover on a c60 that gives you a read out of amps and such. I have a new ac breaker panel I will install next to the inverter for ac. I have the pv panels for the most part mounted in a frame now waiting to put up outside. Im not sure if I can put them in place out there and not have hooked up to the charge controller and batteries if it will harm anything. Or can I hang them and face them away from the sun.

I am not going to mix this system in with grid electric at this time. Except for the case of grid failure and them I will wire it up for water pumping.

I could use advise on grounding minding I am keeping this seperate from the grid ac. I can sink a ground rod out at the panels and run ground from the inverter/and other items that have to be grounded outside. Any advise here would be helpful.

the whole plan is to have electric to have enough power to have water in case of grid failure and I would use it wisely so to survive till the grid is up. And would be a plus to have a bit of heat coming from a heater.
    The reason for the c60 controller is so if I ever added more panels I would have proper charge controller.
    I will need help/suggestions as how to set up the items to divert the load from batteries to, I am not sure how this is done as far as when the batteries are full charge it energizes something ?? to turn on a heater for excess energy.

Thanks for all the information and help.
  • Mark M

i did not see this line

In general, it is recommended that you would run around 800 AH battery bank @ 24 volts (assuming 8kW maximum inverter surge current).

I only have 4 of these 104ah batteries. And cant afford to get the others now if they are a must to have before weather would stop me from getting this up before it is too cold to do anything outside.
  • Cariboocoot

The additional battery capacity Bill mentions is only necessary if the load on the inverter is likely to reach it's maximum surge capacity of 8 kW. I've attached a diagram of the right way to put the four 12 Volt batteries together for a 24 Volt system. Take note of how the wires connect "diagonally" to the batteries.

The C60 is not the ideal charge controller for diversion power to a heater, in my opinion. It is meant to tap a battery bank and send "surplus" DC to a load for wind or microhydro management. Normally one such controller is used for charging batteries and another for diverting power once the batteries are full. I could not find a diagram specific to the C60; you'll have to check the manual. But this is Morningstar's illustration (page 2) of the process:: http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/wind-sun/TSdatasheet.pdf

Note that shifting the ~34 Volts from the panels directly to a 240 VAC heating element is less than ideal. Mostly it will just barely warm the heater wire. Frankly I don't think it's worth the effort in this case. I had opportunity this week to discover that a 1500 Watt heater running for 1 hour raises the temp in a 100 sq. ft. room by 7F. That would be about all the thermal you'll get, and you'll only get it if the batteries are fully charged and the sun is shining bright.

You might want to consider making use of your "surplus" power by using it to run other daily loads off the inverter when the utility is still active. That way you won't be buying utility power for those items, which will gain you some (small) return on your investment.
  • Mark M

I did not mean to connect batteries direct to a heater, I guess I do not know just how to go about this. I thought I might be able to use the ac side of the inverter to turn on a outlet with a electric heater plugged into it when the battery bank was full.

I was just looking over the manual that came with the xantrex sw plus 4024 and I see in the dc box that I have they have a 3 pole PVCFP-CF-2 breaker that the solar panels are wired directly to then it goes to the charge controllers . I priced the pvcfp-cf-2 on the web and its 250.00 I guess thats why I did not buy it already. And in my dc box there are no buss bars for ground and connecting the battery negative too. Can I use any type ground bar for this? and would the ground bus bar and negative bar be insulated from one another? Ive read somewhere that you can only have one negative to ground in the system, or was that for the ac side. So much to understand. thanks for help
  • Cariboocoot

Ideally you would have a charge controller which has an AUX function that can be enabled when the batteries reach Float (like the Outback) that would switch on the AC load to the inverter. When the batteries go out of Float, it would switch off. I don't think the C60 has such a function, and Xantrex's MPPT controllers have some programming limitations in that area.

Don't panic over the DC wiring; it's pretty straight forward. The ground is on the frames & rails and can connect to the AC ground rod or its own (depending on the particular install). You should have a disconnect fro the (+) and (-) wires. This needs to be DC rated for the Voltage and current expected.

Fuses/circuit breakers. If you have more than two parallel connections on panels you need to provide circuit protection for each. Usually this is done with fuses near the panels inside the combiner box. Here's some examples of this type of equipment: http://www.solar-electric.com/sopawiinco.html

In addition, the output from the charge controller should have a fuse and disconnect (or circuit breaker) on the positive wire. Also the (+) from the batteries to the inverter should be protected this way. To get the right sizes, you need to determine the length of wires involved so that the proper gauge can be determine (able to carry the current and minimize the Voltage drop over distance). That's what dictates the circuit protection.

The AC output from the inverter (hot and neutral) should be isolated from all other household AC and switched in only when needed. The AC in to the inverter can be on a household circuit and provide pass-through for the AC out; the inverter will take over if the grid power goes down. In your well pump application this won't work, as the pump is 240 and the inverter 120; you'll need to provide a separate transfer switch for the pump. That will be a bit tricky as you won't want to leave your transformer running off the inverter all the time. The AC ground from the inverter should be connected to the same ground as all the household wiring, not to separate ground rod.
  • BB.

Grounding is a long and complex issue... And for your TSW inverter, there are two grounds to think about... One is the AC ground (bonded neutral in North American 120/240 VAC split phase systems) and the DC Battery Side.

There are various ways of accomplishing running optional loads off of a battery bank that is in float. Some of the higher end MPPT charge charge controller can be programmed to turn on/off a signal if the battery bank is in float.

The reason we keep asking you about the details of your system and what it is you want to do with it is that, for example you typed about a 48 volt array and you want 12 volts out...

There are different ways to accomplish that setup--But it really depends on your overall power needs... But there are are current/voltage/power limits and issues (and costs too).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Mark M
    BB. wrote: »
    Grounding is a long and complex issue... And for your TSW inverter, there are two grounds to think about... One is the AC ground (bonded neutral in North American 120/240 VAC split phase systems) and the DC Battery Side.

There are various ways of accomplishing running optional loads off of a battery bank that is in float. Some of the higher end MPPT charge charge controller can be programmed to turn on/off a signal if the battery bank is in float.

The reason we keep asking you about the details of your system and what it is you want to do with it is that, for example you typed about a 48 volt array and you want 12 volts out...

There are different ways to accomplish that setup--But it really depends on your overall power needs... But there are are current/voltage/power limits and issues (and costs too).

-Bill

The panels are 12v and batteries are 12v and inverter is 24v. I assume there is a way to run 12v down to the batteries and from the batteries 24v to the inverter. Im hoping.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The panels are 12v and batteries are 12v and inverter is 24v. I assume there is a way to run 12v down to the batteries and from the batteries 24v to the inverter. Im hoping.

It's a magic box called a DC-DC converter. But one large enough to power an inverter, will be pricey. Either re-wire for 24V, or get a 12V inverter. No easy cure.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• bluewickedburner
    bluewickedburner Solar Expert Posts: 78 ✭✭✭✭

When did you buy the parts? Are they still in the return period?
  • BB.

Basically, wire the solar panels to Vmp~35 volts (two 12 volt panels in series). Get a 24 volt output compatible charge controller. Wire the 12 volt batteries into series for 24 volts (parallel multiple 24 volt strings for more AH capacity--there are more details to discuss). Connect to your 24 volt inverter.

If you have a long distance from solar array to battery shed--Then you might want to wire solar panels in series (matched sets--again, more details to discuss) to Vmp from 35volts to as high as Vmp-array~100 VDC. And use a (more expensive, more capable) MPPT type charge controller.

Note that having existing equipment and trying to configure into a working systems that meets your needs is a bit "backwards" and can be confusing. And not all your present equipment could be configured into a 24 volt system that meets your needs.

So, basically, Mfg. Name and Model Number of each major piece of equipment (panels, charge controller, inverter, batteries) and numbers of each (i.e., 4x Kyocera K135 panels). And we can work with you to configure a working system with as little out of pocket cash as practicable.

And, then we can tell you how much power you can get from such a system (Amp*Hours/Watt*Hours) per day by month/season.

Or, we start the other way... What voltage/peak power/energy per day do you need (12/24 VDC and/or 120 VAC, 1,200 watts peak, 4,000 WH or 200 AH @ 12 volts per day, etc.)....

It is usually much less confusing if we work with specific sets of facts (equipment you have or how much electricty per day you need) than to talk in generalities... We all get confused when we try to do that.

-Bill
  • Mark M
    When did you buy the parts? Are they still in the return period?

bought most system in 2006

4 KC130Tm 12v panels and 2 100 watt 12v panels, two xantrex c60 charge controllers, and a xantrex sw plus 4024 inverter/charger. 4 12v agm 104ah batteries and a large transformer to change the 120 to 240 to power my well when the grid is down

I am reading through the manual to see if it has a option to turn the inverter on to supply 120vac when the batteries reach a set voltage.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    I assume there is a way to run 12v down to the batteries and from the batteries 24v to the inverter. Im hoping.
    Reread the first reply from Cariboocoot. He advised that you configure your panels to send 24 volts to the batteries.
    --vtmaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • snuffy
    snuffy Solar Expert Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭
    . I live in central Michigan so we do not get allot of sun in the winter.

You got that right Mark. Just had 4 days with zero sun so I kept my batteries up with the grid. I have expensive AGM's and baby them carefully. I'm near Lapeer, Michigan. Most of the year I run all my refrigeration with solar though.
  • Mark M
    snuffy wrote: »
    You got that right Mark. Just had 4 days with zero sun so I kept my batteries up with the grid. I have expensive AGM's and baby them carefully. I'm near Lapeer, Michigan. Most of the year I run all my refrigeration with solar though.

my xantrex will allow grid to charge batteries also.

I also been reading the very large manual that came with the sw plus 4024 and it has a option to turn on the inverter on to ac side when the batteries charge to a set level and off when they get down to a set charge. I think that would be good for what I intend to do.
    thanks for your input.
  • Mark M
    vtmaps wrote: »
    Reread the first reply from Cariboocoot. He advised that you configure your panels to send 24 volts to the batteries.
    --vtmaps

I am so new I do not know which way to do it. I have been to a internet site that shows a inexpensive combiner box you can build with a 12 breaker ac circuit box.
    I would have to believe it is possible to take my 6 12v panels and combine them into 24 volts and feed the batteries through charge controller and then supply the inverter...
    also as in my last post my xantrex has the option to turn on and turn off the inverter when batteries reach hi and low level. I could use this to divert the excess power after keeping the batteries at charge.
    any comments on these 2 topics (24v combiner box ) and setting to turn on ac side of sw plus 4924 to power ac loads when batteries are at set charge.

thanks, sorry for late replies as I have been away working..
  • BB.

Regarding 24 volts and combiner box... The "12"/"24"/etc. volt Vmp-array is simply the series connections of two or more solar panels which add voltage...

So, if you have Vmp=17.5 volt panels, two in series is 35 volts; and four in series is 70 Volts Vmp-array.

Note that the Vmp-array has to be >> than Vbatt-charging. Some of the reasons:
    • Vmp falls with increasing panel temperature (and rises with falling panel temperature). A 15 volt panel running in full sun will have Vmp too low to charge a battery at 14.5 to 15+ volts. For the most part, there are no solar charge controllers that can take Vmp<Vbatt-charging and properly charge a battery bank.
    • Vmp>Vbatt-charging + Vwire-drop + Vcontroller-drop -- So the Vmp-array has to make up for the 1-2 volt drop across a controller and ~3% maximum voltage drop for the wiring drop (as well as temperature drop in previous point).
    And for combiner boxes... Nothing special. Just groups of breaker or fuses that take a bunch of series connections, run through the breaker then combine into one wire set to go to the charge controller.

Typically, you do not need a combiner box/fuses/breakers for one or two parallel connected strings. If you have 3 or more parallel connected strings, you need a combiner box/fuses/breakers at the "series rated fuse" of the panels to prevent the other 2+ connected strings from feeding a shorted panel/string.

Note that the ratio of Vmp~17.5 volts for a "12 volt battery bank" (and ~35 volts:24 volt bank, etc.) is for use with PWM controllers...

For MPPT controllers (typically larger and more expensive), Vmp can be >> 17.5 volts (and less than Vcontroller-max-input) and the MPPT controller will efficiently down convert the high voltage/low current of the array to low voltage/high current required for the battery bank.

Regarding running your inverter/battery bank when charged... I guess you are trying to recover some of the (anything but) "free" solar energy and use it to power random loads...

Using PV Watts for Flint Michigan, fixed array mounted tilted to latitude:
    1      2.69     
    2      3.79     
    3      4.30     
    4      4.99     
    5      5.42     
    6      5.56     
    7      5.43     
    8      5.34     
    9      4.77     
    10      3.83     
    11      2.41     
    12      1.79     
    Year      4.19

Assuming 4.19 "hours of sun" per day over the year, 720 watts of panels, and ~52% end to end efficiency:
    • 720 watts * 0.52 derating * 4.19 hours of sun * 365 days = 572,589 WH = 573 kWH per year
    That is probably around $60-$100 worth of electricity (if you can harvest/use it all)...

One of the things that running your emergency off-grid system is that you are now cycling the battery bank (which wears down the batteries a bit faster) and if there is an error in your auto switchover / user error -- you do run the risk of accidentally killing your battery bank.

While it is always important to excessive your system (make sure everything works, and lead acid batteries do seem to work better if discharged below ~75% once in a while), make sure the cost/time/risk of your auto switch over system does not end up being worth while.

-Bill
  • snuffy
    my xantrex will allow grid to charge batteries also.

I also been reading the very large manual that came with the sw plus 4024 and it has a option to turn on the inverter on to ac side when the batteries charge to a set level and off when they get down to a set charge. I think that would be good for what I intend to do.
    thanks for your input.

I got started in alternate energy because my basement would flood when the grid went down. So I got an inverter/charger and battery bank. Ran the power from that to an emergency power load center. Next thing you know I'm putting up solar panels etc. Kind of similar to what you're doing. I'm a retired industrial electrician so it wasn't real difficult to learn about solar. Don't know your location in Michigan but you are welcome to come take a look at my installation if you think it would help you to understand what you want to do. Kirk
  • Mark M
    snuffy wrote: »
    I got started in alternate energy because my basement would flood when the grid went down. So I got an inverter/charger and battery bank. Ran the power from that to an emergency power load center. Next thing you know I'm putting up solar panels etc. Kind of similar to what you're doing. I'm a retired industrial electrician so it wasn't real difficult to learn about solar. Don't know your location in Michigan but you are welcome to come take a look at my installation if you think it would help you to understand what you want to do. Kirk

Sounds like you have your emergency needs covered. I live in central part of the state, west of Alma 30 miles or so. I work on the road doing repair work for a company as a sub contrupact and I get over in Flint now and them.
    I see your a ham also, kb8teg is my call. How does your wind generation work for you? I have been looking at the possibility of wind also, I live near the top of a hill in the county. my neighbor put up a wind generator a year back. I have seen a company out of Missouri called missouri wind generator or missouri solar..they sell a 1600 watt 9 blade system for 600 bucks. gotta get on to work. to grand rapids and then up to cadillac and big rapids on the way home. chat again. Mark
  • BB.

Here is a very long thread discussing them... Do a lot of reading/checking reputation before you go down the road with any wind turbine.

-Bill
  • snuffy
    Sounds like you have your emergency needs covered. I live in central part of the state, west of Alma 30 miles or so. I work on the road doing repair work for a company as a sub contrupact and I get over in Flint now and them.
    I see your a ham also, kb8teg is my call. How does your wind generation work for you? I have been looking at the possibility of wind also, I live near the top of a hill in the county. my neighbor put up a wind generator a year back. I have seen a company out of Missouri called missouri wind generator or missouri solar..they sell a 1600 watt 9 blade system for 600 bucks. gotta get on to work. to grand rapids and then up to cadillac and big rapids on the way home. chat again. Mark

The wind generator isn't up yet. Still looking for a tower/pole. We do have wind here but it's seasonal. 73's