Pv hookup on sailboat

tidetim
tidetim Registered Users Posts: 10 ✭✭
VERY new to this world of solar energy. Have 3 Kyocera 135 watt PV panels on a raised arch over the stern of my sailboat. They will connect to a Blue Sky 3024i charge controller and then to my 2 "4D" house and 1 "group 27" starting AGM batteries. Also have a (no longer sold) Xantrex Link 20 battery monitor I'd like to include (I did not purchase the remote monitor for the controller). This is a 12 volt system so I want to multiply the amps from the panels, not increase the voltage . In order to provide 12 volts to the controller/battery, I plan to route all cables separately through my arch, join all three positives and three negatives to a below deck junction box and then route the PV power to the controller via 8 gauge stranded wire (approx. 12 feet, and use the same gauge wire from the controller to batteries/Link 20 (approx 6 feet). At least a couple very basic questions from someone who believes PV is still a black science:

1. Is running the cables separately to a single junction box correct? Does that maintain parallel operation at 12 volts and triple amperage?
2. Is 8 gauge wire from the junction box to controller the correct size for the maximum amperage I may get from the panels? I've gotten conflicting information on this.
3. Have received no assistance from Xantrex when I asked them how to include my Link 20 into the system to monitor the rate of charge. Anyone else done this and have directions for me?
4. Any other advice proffered would be much appreciated! As you can tell, I am more than just a little electrical challenged but am determined to do the bulk of this project myself.

Tim Leighton
S/V "Magic"
Chesapeake Bay and beyond

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Pv hookup on sailboat

1) don't cut the MC connectors off the PV cables, they are part of the warranty. Cut them off= no warranty.

2) What's the amps from each PV? (sticker on back) Also, does the sticker list a value for panel fuse ?

3) only use Tinned Copper wire, if the wire does not have tinning on it, it will quickly corrode and be useless, or a fire starter.

4) 2 panels need no fuse, but with 3 panels, you need a "combiner box" that has a fuse holder for each panel. After the fuses, you can combine the wires to 1 feeder. When we know the panel amps, and the 2-way distance from pv - combiner and combiner - charge controller, we (or you) can use the voltage drop caculator, and decide what size wire you need.

5) purchase MC extender cables, cut them up, and use them to connect to panels, and do the splicing with. They cost some $, but it keeps your warranty intact. Also, when there is sunlight, there is some power from the panels, so be aware the leads are alive. MC connectors should not connect/disconnect when current can flow, or the internal contacts can arc-weld themselves, and become resistive and be bad. Voids warranty too.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Elmer T
    Elmer T Registered Users Posts: 14
    Re: Pv hookup on sailboat

Tim,

I think I may have traded emails with you in the past on this very subject ???

I have an almost identical set-up on my sailboat, (2006 Hunter 45 Center Cockpit). I also mounted 3 Kyocera 135- watt panels on an arch over the transom. I used the panels that came with the MC4 cables, then I purchased extrs cables so I could cut these in half, and end up with both a + and - cable with a MC 4 connector on one end, which I used to connect to the solar panel, and no connector on the other end. Don't cut the connector off that comes woth the panels. I ran all of the cables (6 total) through the arch SS tubing and into the boat. In the aft cabin I installed a "Midnight Solar" combiner box (model # MNPV 3), and also purchased 3 10-amp circuit breakers (midnight solar MNEPV-10) that fit into the combiner box. From there I was able to run a + and - wire through the boat and up to a Blue Sky Solar Boost # 3024iL controller. I also purchased the IPN - Pro Remote Display, and mounted it at the nav station. From the controller which is mounted under the port seat near the house battery bank, I ran wires to the batteries. Although the Blue Sky controller has the feature to also charge the starting battery I did not use it, at least not yet. I also ran a heavy gauge ground wire from the arch through the boat and terminated it on one of the keel bolts. The system as installed works very well, and have not had any problems thus far. I don't know if this helps you or not. If you have any questions let me know.

Regards,
    Jeff