New anemometer + wind gen test.

Options
old wind
old wind Registered Users Posts: 15
Saterday I installed an inexspencive pole mount anemometer kit from Inspeed. I had been using a weather station anemometer for the anemometer but I needed an instant readout. The weather staions delayed reading didn't assist in determining a group of 5 wind generators I'm testing preformance evaluating.

I have been using an old cobled together analog meter but I wasn't comfortable with its acuacy.

In this test I'm evaluating a Wind Blue 540 with the TLG blades, a Wind Blue 540 with my speacial built blades and stator mods, a DIY home built GM alt unit with my blades, a home built dual rotor axial flux unit seen as the 14-11 on the meter and an AC motor conversion ( known as the Garbogen) All but the first 540 have my special blades.

After a couple days waiting we have good winds today. Here are a few picture of the meter readings. The Inspeed meter is just to the right of the analog meter. Its the small one.

Jerry

Comments

• dsljim
    dsljim Registered Users Posts: 5
    Options
    Re: New anemometer + wind gen test.

@Oldwind, Thought you mite enjoy this picture, this is showwing testing the new designs for 1937, 30% improvement by trimming the blades differently.
    The chart shows pumping a 2 inch column of water 500 feet up in an 8 MPH wind.
    My wind dyno is bolt it to the Crane and put it in the wind.
    Now I gotta figure out how to load my picture, I hit goose file and nothing?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    dsljim wrote: »
    @Oldwind, Thought you mite enjoy this picture, this is showwing testing the new designs for 1937, 30% improvement by trimming the blades differently.
    The chart shows pumping a 2 inch column of water 500 feet up in an 8 MPH wind.
    My wind dyno is bolt it to the Crane and put it in the wind.
    Now I gotta figure out how to load my picture, I hit goose file and nothing?

When you post and want to add a picture the easiest way is:
    Look at the box below the text of your post. It says "Additional Options".
    In that box is a sub-box "Attach Files" with a button "Manage Attachments".
    Click that and it will bring up another box with options for selecting and attaching various formats of picture (including 'browse'). Once you select a picture click "upload" and it should attach it. Then you have to close that window and complete your post.
  • keyturbocars
    keyturbocars Solar Expert Posts: 375 ✭✭
    Options

Interesting Jerry. I didn't know those Cen-tech DVM could handle that many amps. Looks like the Garbogen AC motor conversion was putting out over 16 amps. Interesting information.
  • old wind
    old wind Registered Users Posts: 15
    Options
    Interesting Jerry. I didn't know those Cen-tech DVM could handle that many amps. Looks like the Garbogen AC motor conversion was putting out over 16 amps. Interesting information.

The scale on the meter is 10 amps. There is a solid brass 12 ga. shunt internaly. Its about 2" long. The 10 amp rating is because of the very small gage wire used in there test leads. I replaced there 20 ga. leads with 15" of 12 ga.

In the begining I was just intrested in amperage up to 10 amps. When I saw the meter actuly read over 10 amps I was surprized. I tracked these cheap meters with the analog 30 amp meter. They were identical. Above 20 amps the scale just goes blank.

I figured I had nothing to loose with these $3 meters. The over amperage dosn't seem to harm the meters in any way.

The Garbogen was reading around 30 amps on an analog meter in the higher wind gusts. I built a Garbogen for a freind. He says he has seen over 40 amp from the Garbogen on several ocasions. I've actuly pushed the Garbogen to 80 amps in a truck mounted wind test.

If anyone is intrested I can post more info on the home built garbogen.

Jerry
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Garbogen looks very interesting , could you start a new thread about it ??

Now I wonder if I need to upgrade my current disposal...
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Fe-Wood
    Fe-Wood Solar Expert Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Options

I second mike90045
    I'm interested in building a wind generator at some point....