shutdown / startup procedures

Options
denlow
denlow Registered Users Posts: 8
A newbee question
I need to change out my batteries (due to age) on my off grid system and need to verify the proper (and safe) step by step procedure for shutdown / startup. I assume as soon as I disconnect the batteries from the charge controller and inverter / charger they will default to factory settings and will need to be re-programmed upon startup. This is my proposed procedure, please advise if you see any problems.
1) record all charge controller (CC) and inverter / charger settings
2) remove all AC and DC loads from the system (breakers open)
3) disable generator auto start
4) open PV panel to charge controller breaker
5) open wind generator to batteries breaker
6) shut down inverter / charger
7) open charge controller to batteries breaker
8) conduct battery bank swap

Re-start
1) close batteries to charge controller breaker
2) follow CC manual start up procedures to restore previous settings (set language, voltage, etc.)
3) close PV to CC breaker
4) charger setup (current limit, absorb, and float set points)
5) close wind generator to batteries breaker
6) restart inverter / charger
7) inverter/ charger setup (restore previous settings)
8) enable generator auto-start

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

16- 70watt PV
Windseeker wind generator
propane generator
Outback FlexMax 60 charge controller
Trace 2524 inverter / charger
generator auto start
20 - 225 amp hour lead acid batteries

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: shutdown / startup procedures

Whereas writing down your preferred settings is always a good idea, you will be pleased to know that the programming in the charge controller and inverter will not disappear when battery power is removed.

Otherwise:
    1). Shut off all AC and DC loads, inverter included.
    2). Shut off PV to charge controller.
    3). Shut off all charge feeds to battery.
    4). Since you have a wind turbine it should be mechanically braked so that it does not spin free without any available load (ought to have its own controller and dump load, btw).

Swap the batteries.

1). Reconnect battery charge feeds.
    2). Reconnect PV to charge controller.
    3). Reconnect wind turbine and remove mechanical brake.
    4). Check for proper battery Voltage & charging.
    5). Reconnect DC loads, including inverter.
    6). Reconnect AC loads.

Some may caution to cover the PV's before disconnecting them as it reduces their output and thus the current potential through the disconnect.
  • denlow
    Options

Cariboocoot, Thanks for your quick response. I am glad that the CC and the inverter will not have to be re-programmed.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some may caution to cover the PV's before disconnecting them as it reduces their output and thus the current potential through the disconnect.

I wait till the batteries are in Float, and only a couple of amps are running, and then break the connection, or at dusk/dawn My panels are 20' up, no way to cover them.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

Your plan of recording the settings is a good thing anyways... Also, you might double check the manuals. A few units required the owner to explicitly save the chances to EEPROM before it would "remember" the settings through a power failure/reboot.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • denlow
    Options

Just completed the swap without issues. Am glad I recorded my inverter settings (generator start quiet time / end quiet time, etc.) though as they did reset to the default. All is working well now.
    Thanks
    denlow