xantrex 5548 generator cutoff

Options
I accidentally shorted a 20 amp circuit in my house, which set my inverter led's flashing. I reset the resulting error, and error message is gone. My solar panels are charging nicely, but the inverter cuts off my generator after a brief run. The generator is working fine, (it has no problem running my water pump.) Since there are no error messages, I am not sure what the problem is.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: xantrex 5548 generator cutoff

Did you check the inverter programing?

I believe that the older Xantrex inverters required you to save the settings after programing. If you did not, it will reboot to the last saved settings.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Hi Bill-
    There was no save function in the menu. This is a 2006 model. Strangely--3 times must be the charm: It worked as usual after those earlier 2 premature shutdowns. I am hoping it will behave now.

There is one other habitual pattern that I cannot figure out- it typically goes to float before full recharge. Any clues?
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

cj

In 2005 Xantrex was selling SW+ 5548s. If your inverter is really an SW+, then every menu that allows you to set parameters has, at its end a "SaveSettings' function.

FWIW, My 2005 vintage 5548s are SW+es. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The non-plus original SW5548 does not have have eprom memory for permanent saving of setting. If you loose the 48v or drag it down with an overload you will lose the programming settings.

It defaults everything to the max and the worse item is charging rate may be too high for your battery AH size on both grid and generator. You might overload the generator with default settings. Setting the charge current is the first thing that needs to be setup, then generator max ACin current based on generator wattage.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi RC,

Thanks for the added info ... Have not played much with the original X SWs. Many neighbore have them, so will try to remember this info.

Always amazed about your breadth of knowledge, especially on these inverters, Semis etc.

Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The defaulting of charge rate to maximum is a bad thing in my opinion. Xantrex did the same thing on XW series.

It would be a lot safer if the charge rate was defaulted to a low number, like 15 amps battery DC charge current. This would keep the new users from stressing the battery while they learned the programming settings.