solar_dave
solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: A tracker your HOA will love !

Did they do the Glint Avoidance study ?

Put a row of those in, and you could burn the whiny neighbors house down, and sterilize the lawn, getting rid of all that noxious green stuff !
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• TnAndy
    TnAndy Solar Expert Posts: 249 ✭✭
    Options

ahahahaaaa....yeah.....right....

Every HOA I've ever run into was all about conformity on "little houses made of ticky tacky and they all look just the same" ( Pete Seegar )
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
    Options

But can it recharge my cell phone?:D
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Options
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Did they do the Glint Avoidance study ?

Just today I felt a Martian Heat Ray from reflected sunlight off of a large tinted window. It's intensity stopped everyone who wandered through it. The location was smack in the middle of an area normally occupied by a children's swimming pool, but the pool had been drained and a skating rink temporarily installed on the same spot. The distance from window to focal point was about 50 feet, but it was very warm.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

what happens to the cars parked under that tracker in winter? crush and scrape i would think. let that be a warning to those complaining of any reflections.:cool::p
  • solar_dave
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    what happens to the cars parked under that tracker in winter? crush and scrape i would think. let that be a warning to those complaining of any reflections.:cool::p

Let's hope they got that right! That is about $275,000 in Chevy Volts sitting there.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    It's a single axis tracker, I believe, rotating about the z axis. Look at the pole just below the array at the mechanism. It would just about have to operate with a horizontal planar rotation to have cars parked under it. Assuming that it's in Michigan somewhere, its tilt is much less than latitude.

I would be curious as to how they came up with projections of its output. You can run single axis tracking at X degree tilt through PVWatts, but that assumes that the axis of rotation is in the plane of the array*, and this one clearly operates differently. It seems to me that using numbers from a PVWatts run at 10 or 15 degrees tilt with single axis tracking would predict a much greater increase in output as a result of the tracking than will be realized with this setup. I hope they did their homework correctly.

* you can prove this to yourself very easily. Do a PVWatts run at zero degree tilt, fixed, and then do one at zero degrees tilt, single axis tracking. If it rotated about the z axis there would be no difference in output.
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Options

It looks a littel small!8):D
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

About the HOA's. I seem to have read they have no say over Federal laws about renewable energy.Our HOA said no outside clothes lines untill they were supplied with federal laws stating they could not interfere with any renewable energy production unless they could PROVE it would cause physical harm or health issues.
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Options

what federal law states that?

I dont' think this is true as
    federal law also protects free speech, but HOA's prevent free speech all the time, no big USA flags, no signs, etc.
  • solar_dave
    Options
    Lawlis wrote: »
    About the HOA's. I seem to have read they have no say over Federal laws about renewable energy.Our HOA said no outside clothes lines untill they were supplied with federal laws stating they could not interfere with any renewable energy production unless they could PROVE it would cause physical harm or health issues.

Property law is generally done at the state level. I know that CA and AZ have laws you describe.