Hi all new old wind guy here.

old wind
old wind Registered Users Posts: 15
I'm new to this forum but not new to DIY wind power. I built my first DIY scratch built wind generator in 1998. Scince then I've built many.

The home built encluded Ameteks, tredmill, AC motor conversions, GE-ECMs, Fisher-Paykels, large stepers, car alts and axial flux dual disc rotor types.

I have also owned several comercial built machines.

Curently I've been making upgreades to the WindBlue 540. If anyone is intrested I'll post what I've been doing and the greatly increased preformance #s.

My wife and I closed our retail mobil electronics store 3 years ago. Prior to closing the store we had 14 small wind generators on the roof powering the shop.

Now that I'm retiered I'm getting more active in wind power again and would like to share projects and results

Jerry

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Hi all new old wind guy here.
    old wind wrote: »
    .... Prior to closing the store we had 14 small wind generators on the roof powering the shop. ...

Welcome. So, everyone says turbines mounted on a roof, turn it into a sounding board, and can even shake nails loose. What was your experience with that ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• old wind
    old wind Registered Users Posts: 15
    Re: Hi all new old wind guy here.
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Welcome. So, everyone says turbines mounted on a roof, turn it into a sounding board, and can even shake nails loose. What was your experience with that ?

Yes that is true. At times it sounded like several freight trans on the roof. However this was a car stereo install bay roof. Noise was the norm. No one cared.

It was a good teaching point when people would ask, can I put a wind generator on the roof of my house? My responce would be, come out to my shop and listen. This of course had to be on a windy day. If it wasn't windy I would just explain why its not a good idea. At are store shop though it was fine.

Early on wind generator people said there would be turbilance isues with that many small wind generators that close to each other. The roof was flat and 50ft X 50 ft.

They all flew true and straight and didn't bother each other at all. These machine were a veryity with sizes from 49" to 7Ft blades. At more then several ocasions we saw over 6,000 watts coming in off the roof.

Jerry