Concorde Batteries

Options
Jim45D
Jim45D Solar Expert Posts: 102 ✭✭
I realize that one cannot mix old batteries with new in a solar system. Here's the dilema. I purchased 3@ Concorde PVX T-1040's back in June of '04. To be exact, 6/28/04. I installed two of them on that date. I still have the third. It has been pampered, kept on a 5 watt solar charge, covered, etc. The question is, beings that all three batteries are the same age, brand, although the one, not installed yet. Can it be installed without any damage to the other two existing batteries? At the time I didn't think my panels would render the proper charge to stay within the 10% range. That's a hell of a delay I know. But, sickness, heart bypass, kidney loss, left me useless for a long time.:blush: Hell, it took me almost 6 months just to get to my battery bank and reset the meters.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Concorde Batteries

sorry to hear of your bad health.

as to adding that battery to the 2 in use, it would be that battery being dragged down by the 2 that where being used all of these years. as long as the solar charge was regulated to not exceed about 14.3-14.4v then that battery is nearly new. as with adding any newer battery to old ones it is the new one that gets dragged down. i'm going to go out on a limb here and say i wouldn't go out and buy any new batteries to try and match that one you had on a float charge and just go ahead and throw it in with the old ones if the old ones are still in somewhat good shape. you know, even if that float charged battery vented a bit from overvoltage it would probably be more inline with the more used batteries and as long as it can provide some good ah capacity then use it.

this will be your call on this as you know the batteries you have better than i even though i have the same batteries. your 1040ts are no longer the same as my 1040ts as usage and care vary making them different with each other. less care need be in place for matching when it concerns batteries that old, but i would not buy brand new to match with any of them as i wouldn't want to risk it with freshly bought batteries.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, you can install it without damaging the other 2 batteries. Since it is the "primo" one, it will degrade to the level of the "in-service" batteries....

3 in parallel ??
    Check out this article about wiring on the diagonal
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Jim45D
    Options

Thanks for the reply, and the various wiring diagrams. Love the photos. Question..? Should the battery I have go into the first position, or the third? By "primo" I take it you mean the first. Had to read it again.
  • Jim45D
    Options

The batteries I have haven't been discharged past the 50% level more that three (3) times in their lifetime. That was why I was hesitant about their use with the extra battery. The extra battery has been constantly kept on charge not exceeding 13.5V since I've had it. Simply just hasn't been used within the operating system with the other two. I suppose it could be considered as NEW!!
  • Jim45D
    Options

OK, I finally figured out how to do it I think. The eyes aren't what they used to be. Here's my setup on the RV.:D
  • Jim45D
    Options
    Tracker base & timer

The 10 watt Siemens panel is to drive the old satellite dish base that I use as a tracker. It keeps a voltage on a PVX 1034Concorde (not shown) to drive a 12 volt motor with a Flexcharge programmable timer. It was set up on a trial basis to advance the base and panel 8 positions daily. I need to tweak it a bit more.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

there may be some damages to the lifetime on that battery with that high of a float charge voltage. concorde does not recommend a float charge that high as it is typically around 13.2v to about 13.4v. when constantly floating a never used battery (at 77 degrees f) the float should be on the bottom end of that scale or about 13.2v. if sometimes used or only float charged intermittently then maybe the middle figure of 13.3v should be used. i think you get the picture here so a slight overcharge may have occurred, but it's hard to say to what degree. reduce that float voltage to within the specified range.