Just Need To Know What To Correctly Title A Solar Device I Created

Options
rss2q
rss2q Solar Expert Posts: 75 ✭✭✭✭
I built a remote control rechargable electric lawn mower that can be charged from solar energy. So in other words, the lawn mower is a "rechargeable (contains 36v battery)" electric mower. And I modified it in such a way that the battery inside the mower can be charged from some mounted solar panels.

Would an acceptable title for this be:

-Solar Charged RC Electric Lawn Mower
or
-Solar Powered RC Electric Lawn Mower
or
should it be something else?

Thanks!

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Just Need To Know What To Correctly Title A Solar Device I Created

"Solar Charged RC Electric Lawn Mower" is the more accurate term. "Solar Powered" implies the mower runs directly off solar with no battery or recharge time involved.

Or you can call it "The Amazing Patented Whirl-A-Gig Totally GREEN Eco-Mower-Matic." :p
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

Solar Powered Automatic Lawn Mower
    SPALM

Solar Powered Automatic Grass Mower
    SPAGM

Solar Powered Automatic/Remote Controlled Lawn Equipment
    SPARCLE

-Bill :D
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • rss2q
    Options
    "Solar Charged RC Electric Lawn Mower" is the more accurate term. "Solar Powered" implies the mower runs directly off solar with no battery or recharge time involved.

Or you can call it "The Amazing Patented Whirl-A-Gig Totally GREEN Eco-Mower-Matic." :p

haha well thanks.

I'm making a how-to video guide and I've already uploaded my first video which I have incorrectly used the wrong name to describe it. I used Powered instead of Charged :D.

Oh well, better to have just 1 video with the incorrect name than 15+ :D

Thx again
  • rss2q
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    Solar Powered Automatic/Remote Controlled Lawn Equipment
    SPARCLE

-Bill :D

Hmmm so you are saying it is okay to use "powered" instead of "charged"?

I somewhat thought the same way as Cariboocoot that it may indicate the the entire lawn mower, the motors, etc.. are powered soley on solar energy (solar panels), but if using powered would be okay, I won't change anything. I just want to correct this now before I keep editing and uploading my videos.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

Sure--It is solar powered (and if you plug it in, grid powered--from where ever the grid gets its power).

If you are not selling the solar panels with the mower--but it just has an AC plug... You probably should go with something "GREEN" in the name and talk about "SPARCLE" Mode (optional solar array, or information on customer getting panels on their own).

Hmmm

GARCLE "Green Automatic/Remote Controlled Lawn Equipment

Does not quite have that "Ring".

Zero Emission Lawn Care Equipment
    ZELC

Zero Emission Lawn Mower
    ZELM

Zero Emission Garden Equipment
    ZEGE

Zero Emission Garden Systems
    ZEGARDS

Etc... Depends on where you want to take the company/product line.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • rss2q
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    Sure--It is solar powered (and if you plug it in, grid powered--from where ever the grid gets its power).

If you are not selling the solar panels with the mower--but it just has an AC plug... You probably should go with something "GREEN" in the name and talk about "SPARCLE" Mode (optional solar array, or information on customer getting panels on their own).

Hmmm

GARCLE "Green Automatic/Remote Controlled Lawn Equipment

Does not quite have that "Ring".

Zero Emission Lawn Care Equipment
    ZELC

Zero Emission Lawn Mower
    ZELM

Zero Emission Garden Equipment
    ZEGE

Zero Emission Garden Systems
    ZEGARDS

Etc... Depends on where you want to take the company/product line.

-Bill

Well I am not selling anything, I'm just creating a full How To guide that will show others my process I used to build mine. I just do not want to confuse or give anyone false expectations of what to expect from watching my HowTo series, as it will consist of a lot of video parts posted on YouTube.

So in other words, I do not want someone to expect that the entire lawn mower and its motors are powered by solar panels only, and then get to Part 10 of the video series and find out that the mower does indeed have a battery, as well as the wheelchair electric motors that push the mower around. :D

Hope that makes sense...
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Ah, advertising: where the English language gets massacred by hyperbole! :p
  • rss2q
    Options
    Ah, advertising: where the English language gets massacred by hyperbole! :p

Yeah so I'm thinking I may go with the term "charged" instead, as it implies that something in this system is being charged, thus batteries must be involved somewhere. Additionally, the term "solar charged" indicated that the batteries are being charged by solar energy/panels.

I think this is a safer road to go down...:roll:
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Solar Terminator .
    well almost, as long as you retain control (get a restraining bolt from Skywalker).
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• rss2q
    Options
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Solar Terminator .
    well almost, as long as you retain control (get a restraining bolt from Skywalker).

I was going to use that one but I couldn't convince Arnold Schwarzenegger to operate it for me :grr
  • SolaRAC
    SolaRAC Solar Expert Posts: 52 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Keep it simple.. Green Mower :)

By the way.. I watched your video just a few days ago on DIY panels. Good stuff.. posting an update soon? Is the panel still working?
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SolaRAC wrote: »

By the way.. I watched your video just a few days ago on DIY panels. Good stuff.. posting an update soon? Is the panel still working?

i think you are close as i was thinking green machine before i even read your post. it could also be called the lean mean cutting machine, but somebody might cry foul with that sounding similar to what some others made famous even if only terminology similarities.
  • rss2q
    Options
    SolaRAC wrote: »

Yeah I created an update video regarding that in 2010 I believe, and basically the same results happened that most DIY panels go through over time. It was having all types of issues by the end of year 1. Back in 2009, the base of my design was from a guy named mdavis who seemed to have received a ton of great feedback regarding his design, but I soon learned after the fact that I needed a decent vapor barrier and several other components to extend the life of the DIY panel.

In a nut shell, as most recommend around here and at other forums, I find it cheaper and wiser to just buy a professionally made panel based off of my personal experience...but it was fun at the time to learn :D

I also think Green Mower is a great "nickname" and something I should use in my keywords, but the root name should definitely specify what the device is.
    I had to write a 20+ page report on this device, so using Green Mower as the title definitely would not have worked out well in my favor since a Green Mower could mean anything :D So I think, if you search in Google for any of these great "nicknames" that many of you have proposed, Google should direct you to the YouTube videos or my website.