New DIY system

Options
I am just starting a DIY solar project. I found 1KW of untabbed solar cells and want to build a complete system. I have not received the cells yet but there are 550 cells at Average Power (Watts): 1.8 Wp
Average Current (Amps): 3.6 Imax
Average Voltage (Volts): 0.5 Vmax

I would like to build the array and then connect them to a Mppt controller, and batteries and use it to generate heat only at this time. I have looked at various sites that this one has it all. Thanks

Comments

• rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: New DIY system

sorry but what you are trying to accomplish is about the most inefficient use of solar electrical there is as well as being the most uneconomical way to achieve it.

the cheapest solar panels are currently sold by sunelec. If you build your own you will be lucky to make them for $1 a watt. You can buy them for 59 cents a watt. Kind of makes DiY solar a big waste of time.

Also a solar thermal system is much much better for heating.
    builditsolar.com is a good site for DIY projects.

I'd return those cells asap! dont' waste your time and money
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Generate electric, and convert to heat :confused: Keep reading here, because what you propose, is the MOST expensive way to produce heat, except for burning paper money.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,461 admin
    Options

I am not a fan of home made / DIY solar PV panels. There are lots of issues and many do not last more than a few months in service. Plus, today, you do not save much money in building your own (if any).

Solar thermal, on the other hand, is actually quite a good canidate for DIY projects. The big issue is that usually water is used as the heat transfer media and you end up with quite a pump/pipe/tank system with all of its issues (leaks, air locks, control, freezing weather, etc.).

Here is a thread with lots of information about various solar projects and sources of information:

Working Thread for Solar Beginner Post/FAQ

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset