Need suggestion on what solar mount system to use

Mike16W
Mike16W Registered Users Posts: 9
I am planning to install 6 solar cells on my roof and need some suggestion on what mounting system to use. I am looking for the most economical mounting system to use that is still safe and sturdy. I will be mounting the solar cells on a pitch composite roof. Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Re: Need suggestion on what solar mount system to use

do you have a photo of your roof? an address via google maps would work
    Is it facing south?

do you have any unusual circumstances? like TV dishes? fireplace vents? obstructions?

the most economical is stock mill aluminum, but that assumes you live close to an aluminum warehouse and have basic shop tools like a drill and circular saw wtih aluminum cutting blade.

I use www.easternmetal.com they have about 6 locations around the USA, but there are other companies as well.
  • Mike16W

The roof is south facing and there is no shadows or obstacles on the roof. I live outside of Albuquerque, New Mexico so I get plenty of sun. I am not sure if there is any aluminum manufacturers or distributors in my area but it's a good idea and I will check. What is the most economical commercial solar mounting company that you would recommend?
  • rollandelliott

I have not spent hours researching what company is the cheapest, but my guess is that they are all pretty close in terms of cost so the most economical will most likely be the one that is closest too you and thus has cheap shipping to you.
    power fab is in your back yard:

Tel: 505.889.3585
    Toll-free: 800.260.3792
    Fax: 505.889.3548
    e-mail: info@power-fab.com

A division of PLP
    4000 B Vassar Dr. NE
    Albuquerque, NM 87107

OR
    Unirac, Inc.

1411 Broadway Boulevard NE
    Albuquerque NM 87102-1545 USA

Telephone: 505-242-6411
    Fax: 505.242.6412

OR
    another company relatively close is this one:

http://www.schletter.us/contact-schletter.html

this company is in tuscon AZ
  • Mike16W

Thanks for all the references. I really appreciate it. I will check out the ones in Albuquerque.
  • jagec
    jagec Solar Expert Posts: 157 ✭✭

Well, if you're only installing 6 solar cells, I would recommend epoxy.:p

But in all seriousness...when I priced it out, Ironridge was a fair bit cheaper than Unirac. I briefly considered fabbing my own mounts with mill aluminum (which I think would be more than acceptable), but since I have to get the system inspected I felt that I would have fewer bureaucratic headaches if I used a system that was already designed and PE-certified.

But if you do fab your own, it would be fairly easy to make something just as good as the pros, assuming that you're reasonably handy.
  • Mike16W

I never thought of epoxy. It would be a little tough when I have the house re-roofed and I may get stuck up there is I get it on my fingers.
    I will check out Ironridge and see what they offer. Thanks for the help.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    • Panel=Group of cells (typically 36 or more cells wired in series)
    • Cell=individual solar cell that has ~0.5 volt output voltage at a few amps. Needs to be encapsulated into a "panel" (usually under safety glass) for weather resistance and electrical/fire safety.
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    • Panel=Group of cells (typically 36 or more cells wired in series)
    • Cell=individual solar cell that has ~0.5 volt output voltage at a few amps. Needs to be encapsulated into a "panel" (usually under safety glass) for weather resistance and electrical/fire safety.
    -Bill
    Picking a nit here, but the NEC code defines a module as a collection of cells and a panel as a collection of modules. Many folks say "panel" when they are referring to a module by the NEC definition.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

NASA landed a Lunar Module on the moon, so does a Solar Module land on the sun?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• rollandelliott

here are some other companies I found out about by searching around

you have lots of choices

Professional Solar

Schüco

DPW Solar

Quick Mount PV

Zep Solar

S-5!

Cooper B-Line

EcoFasten

Wattsun

Legrand
  • Mike16W

Thanks for all the information. That's going to keep me busy.