anyone else clean their refrig coils yearly?

The Original Ralph
The Original Ralph Solar Expert Posts: 50 ✭✭✭✭
just curious, in case folks aren't aware, most refrigerators now have the coils under or at the bottom of the refrig. Each year i find enough dust balls, actually a dust "rope" that i tell myself i need to do it twice yearly as that dust covers the coils which basically means the compressor is running harder/longer to transfer the heat out

just cleaned mine, after putting a kill-0-watt on the refrig last nite - (1.97 kWh) - i'm curious what it'll show tomorrow with the coils unclogged

i miss the coils being on the backside of the refrig - lot easier to clean

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: anyone else clean their refrig coils yearly?

At least once a year, and every time I have to bring the shop vac into the house, it gets a cleaning. The grille, the coils, and the long brush I use to get to them. take about a half hour.

Just be sure you use a wet/dry vac, since most fridges have the drip pan down there in the airflow too !!
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Poor designs in my opinion. What of the millions of senior citizens who don't know of such things, and even if they did, couldn't clean them?
    My converted upright freezer has them attached to the inside of the outer cabinet, and it's very high efficiency. If it can be done that way with a freezer, why not a fridge? And if it costs more to do it that way, then why are freezers cheaper than fridges? I don't get it.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i tried to reach the coils with one of those overgrown pipe cleaners meant to clean between radiator sections of my hot water heating system. i got 60% or so and my vacuum didn't fit to reach in there.:grr i can't get it totally clean and i determined it needs done at least twice a year so i came up with an idea. i put screening (aka home window type screening) and it catches quite a bit of crap before it gets to the coils.
  • rgk1
    rgk1 Solar Expert Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

Great idea Niell! I try to clean mine twice a year, but none of my vacuum cleaner attachments will reach all the way in to get everything. I think I will try the screen idea.
    4-Risen 320 watt in series/parallel, 8-215ah 6 volt GC2 batteries in series, Exeltech 1100 watt/48 volt inverter, Tristar 45 MPPT controller.
  • The Original Ralph
    niel wrote: »
    i tried to reach the coils with one of those overgrown pipe cleaners meant to clean between radiator sections of my hot water heating system. i got 60% or so and my vacuum didn't fit to reach in there.:grr i can't get it totally clean and i determined it needs done at least twice a year so i came up with an idea. i put screening (aka home window type screening) and it catches quite a bit of crap before it gets to the coils.

Ha - great minds must think alike - i designed a 4" tall box (in my head) that i could put under the refrig with a filter that i could just slide out for cleaning

they make a special brush for the coils, fairly cheap - i'll see if can find one and post - but basically long (about 30", first 8-9" it's a 1/2" OD round brush, then jumps up to 1.5" diameter for about 8-9"

here it is - in case it doesn't work, just google "refrigerator coil brush" - this one's the spitting image of mine for $4
    http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=refrigerator+coil+brush&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=8232538496324866869&sa=X&ei=BEZ5Tp_BKKrD0AHR2MmzAg&ved=0CGUQ8wIwAA
  • niel

ralph,
    that is exactly what i have and although it gets more than half of the crap in there, it is not much to be desired as a means of getting it the way it should be. a good vacuum attachment of a small and long nature that's angled at the top could possibly work if one could find such an attachment for their particular sweeper. the floor has way too much dust, dirt, hair (including pet hair), and who knows what else. one can clean the floor until doomsday, but that crap gets into the frig before you can clean the floor because of the air flow. i had better luck when all coils and such were exposed in the back even though that made them prone to damages. i was also able to insulate the back of the frig because it went between the frig and the coils and did not interfere with its operations. sometimes the more appliance manufacturers "improve" things the worse it actually is for the end user. of course they don't care that much about the end users because they want you to buy their so called new and improved version a few years into it.:roll:
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

When I clean mine I have the wife at the ready with a pair of 2X4 blocks and tip the fridge back while she slides them under the front feet. Gets me enough clearance to reach all the coils.
  • peakbagger
    peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

I beleive the frequency of cleaning is very dependent upon pets in the house. If there are pets, the coils may need cleaning twice or more per year, no pets and it could be every 2 years. The other observation is that the higher efficiency units have very small coils. When I first went to clean the coils on my energy star Maytag, I didnt belvie that the small coil bundle under the unit was it, I kept looking for where the "real" coils were. I remember the older units had coils from top to bottom on the back of the unit.
  • The Original Ralph
    peakbagger wrote: »
    I beleive the frequency of cleaning is very dependent upon pets in the house. If there are pets, the coils may need cleaning twice or more per year, no pets and it could be every 2 years. The other observation is that the higher efficiency units have very small coils. When I first went to clean the coils on my energy star Maytag, I didnt belvie that the small coil bundle under the unit was it, I kept looking for where the "real" coils were. I remember the older units had coils from top to bottom on the back of the unit.

not so sure about that - i'm down to one pet, and not a shedder. Last cleaned it about 10-11 months ago - and this time i found the funniest dust bunny rolled up like a 1.5" diameter rope from one side to the other. The dog may contribute in terms of kitchen door being opened 12 times a day for her to go do her business, and that letting more pollen, dust etc in but found no hair like i did when i had bird dogs

i've just put into my microsoft calendar to hit it again in six months but i am curious what the kill-o-watt will show tonite in terms of usage vs yesterday with that rolled up dust rope

in case it helps, i've had a set of these rollers under mine since we moved here in 1990 http://www.hardwareandtools.com/Mintcraft-1-AAR-18-1-4-3L-Adjustable-Appliance-Roller-8532038.html?utm_source=Google%20Products&utm_medium=Product%20Search&utm_campaign=Google%20Products
    they're really cheap plastic adjustable length rollers that when they came in, i figured they'd break in a year or two - same pair still working fine and definitely make it easier to pull the refrig out of it's cubby hole in the cabinets
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    solar_dave wrote: »
    When I clean mine I have the wife at the ready with a pair of 2X4 blocks and tip the fridge back while she slides them under the front feet. Gets me enough clearance to reach all the coils.
    That would make a big mess inside my fridge. :D
  • Frxddy
    Frxddy Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭✭✭
    i am curious what the kill-o-watt will show tonite

Me too. I'm thinking it might not show much difference, if any, BUT, you may find the 'fridge runs much less to do the same work. What I'm trying to say is: If it used 175 watts before it might still use 175 watts, but if it used to run 20 minutes per hour, perhaps now it will run 15 minutes per hour.

We have two dogs & a cat. I'm sure the carpets stay clean because all the hair gets sucked into the coils of the 'fridge. I clean them every few months & they always need it. Some time back my wife bought a "clothes dryer exhaust cleaning kit". Among other things it has a long narrow brush that works OK for the 'fridge.
  • Seven
    Seven Solar Expert Posts: 292 ✭✭
    Frxddy wrote: »

We have two dogs & a cat. I'm sure the carpets stay clean because all the hair gets sucked into the coils of the 'fridge. I clean them every few months & they always need it. .

Our white Lab leaves tumbleweeds of hair if we don't vacuum every other day. House only has carpet in the bedrooms, so that white hair goes everywhere. I'll have to check my fridge tonight. It is only 4 months old but I imagine the coils will look like a white shag carpet.
  • niel
    Last cleaned it about 10-11 months ago - and this time i found the funniest dust bunny rolled up like a 1.5" diameter rope from one side to the other.

sounds like a hair ball. yuk:cry:
  • The Original Ralph
    Frxddy wrote: »
    Me too. I'm thinking it might not show much difference, if any, BUT, you may find the 'fridge runs much less to do the same work. What I'm trying to say is: If it used 175 watts before it might still use 175 watts, but if it used to run 20 minutes per hour, perhaps now it will run 15 minutes per hour.

We have two dogs & a cat. I'm sure the carpets stay clean because all the hair gets sucked into the coils of the 'fridge. I clean them every few months & they always need it. Some time back my wife bought a "clothes dryer exhaust cleaning kit". Among other things it has a long narrow brush that works OK for the 'fridge.

that's what i'm expecting or hoping to see - less runtime for the compressor to satisfy the refrigerator's thermostat
  • Wilis
    Wilis Solar Expert Posts: 84 ✭✭✭✭

We dont have inside pets but do use a wood stove to help with heat. No matter how hard I try the stove make some dust in the house. In the spring after weather warms up in TN we do house cleaning. I find using a electric leaf blower does a good job. Yes it does stir up the dust but a good fan in a window takes most of that out. The living room and the kitchen is one large room with hard wood floors. Not only do I blow the ref but the celling and walls. Then after things settle the centeral vac cleans the floor. You do have to remove everything from the walls etc. but things do get the dust removed.
  • The Original Ralph

been watching Tim Allen and Tool Time, ehh

i've done that in the garage, and have tried a 10 gal tank of compressed air with air gun but wife complained too much about the dust blowing everywhere, so went with the brush
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    been watching Tim Allen and Tool Time, ehh

i've done that in the garage, and have tried a 10 gal tank of compressed air with air gun but wife complained too much about the dust blowing everywhere, so went with the brush

Mine loves it when I drag the air line in from the garage! NOT! :D LOL
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭

I use an 18V Dewalt cordless shop vac, long snorkel attachment, and drag the airhose in from the garage. I have a long blow gun attachment that can easily reach the coils. With the vac running, I use short blasts of air to knock the dust off the coils. A long blast would work, but also put dust through the entire house!

I admit, I don't do this often as I should! Thanks for the reminder...
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

Scary... I have now been reminded of something I've never done! :cry: Simply never thought about it!

The fridge is now 8 years old... Had three cats for the last four years! Wonder what I'm going to find...!

I might have to put the Kill-A-Watt on mine just for grins and giggles. Be interesting to see what change I get in daily usage!
  • The Original Ralph

well just pulled the kill-0-watt
    before or dirty, 22 hrs 36 minutes 1.87 kWh
    tonite or clean, 1.97 kWH

when you break down to kWh per hour then over a 24 hour period it comes out to just shy of .040 kWh less when cleaned

not a whole lot but the coils were open on the top side for the most part,, that rope ball of dust was just blocking from the floor up to the bottom side of the coils

still worth cleaning cause it would have been worse the dirter or more blocked it gets down there

RandomJoe Quote
    Scary... I have now been reminded of something I've never done! Simply never thought about it!

The fridge is now 8 years old... Had three cats for the last four years! Wonder what I'm going to find...!

I might have to put the Kill-A-Watt on mine just for grins and giggles. Be interesting to see what change I get in daily usage!

first time i did mine, back when we had bird dogs, you could tell just by the temp on the compressor the difference it made, ie it was a lot cooler to the hand after cleaning. and You noticed it wasn't running as long or cycling on as many times after cleaning
    solar_dave wrote: »
    Mine loves it when I drag the air line in from the garage! NOT! :D LOL
    My wife dragged out my shop vac a few months back and dusted the living room with the exhaust.
  • Slappy
    Slappy Solar Expert Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

always used a pressure washer, tilt fridge against side of house and have at it. let dry for a half a day then go food shopping to restock.
  • niel

all of this aggravation is not our faults as it is poor designing on their parts that keep us from properly maintaining our refrigerators. they want us to buy them more often i gather.:grr
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

My procedure: suck out as much with the snorkel on the vacuum and them bring in the air hose with an extension nozzle and blow from as many different positions as possible WITH the vac running to minimize the scattering of dust. no shop vac due to its dust spreading capabilities.:blush:..

never K-o-W 'ed it before or after yet as fridge is in an alcove with the plug-in at the back and my arms are not long enough to reach it without pulling the fridge out all the way +++... it was tough enough getting it into the custom space, will sell it with the house someday...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • tonystewart
    tonystewart Solar Expert Posts: 54 ✭✭

1992 Subzeros 501F & 501R , completely rebuilt both in 2009, clean them twice a year, my subzero tech was shocked to find them clean, figures that helped them survive 17 years with the quality FPL "Florida Plunder & Loot" stable voltage in South Florida. :roll: