Decent 24v Turbine

data_engine
data_engine Registered Users Posts: 8
Does anyone know of a good 1kw 24v turbine that is reliable? This will be for off-grid use with a 24v 1100Ah battery bank and a Magnum MS4024 inverter.

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Decent 24v Turbine

Very seriously consider solar first! For many reasons.
    Check this thread for some of those reasons: www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/showthread.php?t=12682
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know of a good 1kw 24v turbine that is reliable? This will be for off-grid use with a 24v 1100Ah battery bank and a Magnum MS4024 inverter.

Wind or water ??

and adding this filler to get the post long enough.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Haha Good one Mike, I had wind on the brain. :p
  • data_engine
    data_engine Registered Users Posts: 8

Actually it's a wind turbine I'm looking for. I have an off-grid cabin in eastern WV, with a high ridgetop for a wind turbine. I'd love to experiment with wind energy for 24v battery charging.
  • MisterB
    MisterB Solar Expert Posts: 156 ✭✭

A high ridgetop sounds like a good site. I would recomend the Windmax HY-1000 which is 24 volts based on my experience with these turbines and the experiences posted by Keyturbocars on this forum. These turbines are reliable and not too expensive.

A combination of wind and solar will work best. I would read a lot about wind energy and put up an anemometer and take some measurements of real wind speeds at the proposed site before starting. Wind energy will work if done right but, more often than not, it is not done right. Right now, I am helping to sort out an off the grid system with some serious issues and one is that there is an undersized solar array on too big a battery bank and a wind generator that does next to nothing because it was put in a site that should never even been considered for wind energy and poorly installed on top of this. It was done by a professional builder and the wind system was put in, I think, because he considered it politically correct for his eco building but the money would have been better spent on a bigger solar array.
  • WisJim
    WisJim Solar Expert Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

My first choice would be the 1kw 24volt Bergey, because of the reputation of the Bergey company.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin

"dzen" is out of Eastern Europe/Ukraine area (I am guessing)... So, if you research the turbine he is referencing, you will need to take that into account (phone numbers, etc.).

Interesting--variable pitch prop with full feathering.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    BB. wrote: »

Interesting--variable pitch prop with full feathering.

-Bill

Aviation tech 60 years old
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin

Variable pitch for wind turbines is old too... Just nice to see somebody trying it on a small wind turbine again. Much more efficient and can better limit RPM and power in heavy winds.

But, added mechanics always add costs and more points of failure.

-Bill "just trying to find something positive to say about a small wind turbine" B. :roll:
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BillF
    BillF Solar Expert Posts: 48 ✭✭

The Kestrel e300 is a good unit with a rotor pitch mechanism that works very well.

Thumbs also goes to the Bergy XL1 but you should use the Bergey/NRG tower kit made for the turbine.

If cost is important you can use the SWWP Whisper200 but longevity is questionable.
  • Chuck46
    Chuck46 Solar Expert Posts: 95

Ive been using a Bergey XL-1 for 7 years now with no issues.

Chuck
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The Bergey!
    http://www.bergey.com/pages/1_kw_remote_system
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• NewYorkMan
    NewYorkMan Registered Users Posts: 19

I use the Windtura wind turbine. I love it and it does the job for me

I have a couple of those car alternator wind generators. They are laying on the floor in my garage and their next stop is the garbage.