wiring up my solar in the next week or two.. any tips?

Options
spanel
spanel Solar Expert Posts: 36 ✭✭
Can you guys throw some tips my way before i start wiring all this stuff?
Stuff that I dont want to overlook?

Like for example.. put a blanket over the panels before connecting wires to them... stuff like that..

Thanks!

Chris

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: wiring up my solar in the next week or two.. any tips?

Have MC -3 or -4 jumper cables and disconnect tool on hand. Or know how to get them quickly. Never cut or splice a panel's intergal cord, it voids the warranty.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Connect batteries together first.
    Connect charge controller to batteries second.
    Connect panels to charge controller third.
    Connect inverter to batteries fourth.
    Check each circuit for function as you go so there are no surprises when you turn the inverter on.
    Double check wiring before energizing it. Don't rush any part of the job.
    Do not forget the fuses/breakers!
  • petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Include a battery monitor in your system from the start.
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • peakbagger
    peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    Options

Have a big bag of lots of UV resistant tie wraps and the little square plastic blocks with adhesive on them used to attach tie wraps to flat surfaces. It doesnt take much longer to route things properly and cut wires to length (except leads with connectors) and makes for a lot better looking job.

Use stainless fasteners with nylock nuts. They arent that pricey if you buy them by the box from a marine distributor like Hamilton Marine and they arent going to rust or stain.