Solar Mounts

Hey all! Im glad to have found this site! My husband and I are off grid in North Central Wa- just got our batteries and Outback system up but aren't sure about how to build the mounts.. I tried to do a search in the forums but it wasn't too helpful.. We purchased treated 4x4 because we are on a budget- if anyone could let me know the best way to build them I would be so appreciative. We have 8 175 watt Sunteck Solar Panels... we know about where solar noon is here, but the building of the mounts is a bit overwhelming- so much info out there and everyone is trying to sell you something!!
Thanks!! Ü

Comments

• bsolar
    bsolar Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    Re: Solar Mounts

well, using wood you could get creative, if you want it all fancy like 1 panel on a post i would get something like a satellite dish mount which will be adjustable and go ahead and make a frame to bolt to it out of some angle aluminum, and probably use a metal post in concrete to finish off the look .. that will be on the expensive side in my book abeit pretty nice .. for multiple panels on a single post like a 4X4 i wouldnt do it, too much weight ..

what im doing which isnt quite so fancy is making a box frame out of (4) 4X4 posts and stringing it around the top and middle with 2X6's to mount 4 panels per example .. cheap.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum.

Your question might be a bit too generalized for anyone to respond to.

Are you looking for info on building a structure that can support aluminium panel mounts?

Take a look at the panel mounts offered by our host NAWS for reference: http://www.solar-electric.com/panel-mounts.html

Or are you thinking of building the mounts entirely from pressure-treated? At some point you will have to transition to aluminium, if only to the panel frames themselves. Aluminium and PT lumber do not get along: the treatment contains copper which will lead to electrolytic reaction between the two. Over time the aluminium will corrode. You need to isolate the one from the other with an insulator such as plastic washers and use stainless steel hardware to connect (coat with anti-seize compound too).

As for building a structure, that gets a bit tricky as allowances have to be made for local conditions such as wind and snow load and for following any local regulations pertaining to building structures.

Otherwise it's a matter of getting the orientation correct. You might want to look at the Mac's Lab angle calculator to begin with: http://www.macslab.com/optsolar.html

Is that enough to get this thread going? :D
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

homebrewing mounts can be tricky. you have to remember that wood can warp and rot and that can put undue stress on the pv aluminum frames. it also has to withstand the stress of high winds and the weights of any heavy snows where it's applicable. if your needs can be spelled out a bit better as to what you have in mind then others may be able to throw a few ideas your way.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a good thread here on how others have done it, I'm the last post.

Mine have been through some pretty stiff winds and one of my support boards is starting to warp a bit, and I'll likely replace it this fall, but they have been up for 5 years through some 50-60 mph straight line winds. Though protected somewhat by the growth behind the panels. 2 of my rack are cantilevered, the panels mount in pair to boards that hang between the mounts, releiving stress caused by winds.

If you note you can also see that there is plastic between the aluminum and the PT wood, the new pressure treated wood is very interesting, I screwwed in a single dipped galvinized screw one day and unscrewwed a bright the next (the galvanizing was gone!)
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Cariboocoot
    Photowhit wrote: »
    I screwed in a single dipped galvanized screw one day and unscrewed a bright the next (the galvanizing was gone!)

Heh, heh. :D
    Galvanizing steel = zinc
    Pressure treating of wood = copper

Now boys and girls, what do we get when we put copper and zinc into a slightly acidic environment?

;)
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Galvanizing steel = zinc

Now boys and girls, what do we get when we put copper and zinc into a slightly acidic environment?

;)

A Battery? ;) hehe
  • drew4justice
    drew4justice Solar Expert Posts: 36

I'm not up to code, nor am I doing things correctly, but this video gives you an idea of how I made mine. I cut some angle aluminum and then tarred over in the mounting holes on the roof then tarred over the stainless steel bolts as well. I kept all the mounting structures running vertical to minimize the possibility of snow/ice buildup.

I only have two panels, however, and I've mounted them for under $60. They are on a shed roof so I don't mind. I hope they stay in tact throughout the wind & snow!

http://www.youtube.com/user/bipth#p/a/u/4/3gNImJ-Iews

If you hunt on my channel, you'll see two updates on my system which show the panels mounted. Since that time, I've rewired much of my infrstructure as well.
  • alyaz
    alyaz Solar Expert Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

this seems to be the road you are going down. not sure how the more experienced forum members would view it, but for what it's worth...

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/PV/EnphasePV/Mounts.htm

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/PV/TimberMount/TimberMount.htm
    3.3 kW solar.  3 Midnite Solar controllers; 5 lightening suppressors.  Magnum’s inverter; auto gen start, BMK.  Davidson 2 v FLA’s - 24v bank.  Perkins diesel gen.
  • Cariboocoot

The only issue I have with mounts that are right on the ground like that is the greater potential for the panels to be damaged, being on the same level as human activity. A rock tossed by the lawn mower, an errant baseball, et cetera. Getting them even six feet above the ground will pretty much eliminate such a threat.

BTW, note that in the example linked by alyaz the wood appears to be cedar, not pressure treated. Good cedar will last 50 years on its own and won't react with the aluminium. It does cost more, of course.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

coot,
    you forgot to mention that if the ground mount isn't elevated high enough that the snows won't be able to slide off and away from the pvs. ground mounted pvs also elevate the theft factor so precautions need taken there.
  • Cariboocoot
    niel wrote: »
    coot,
    you forgot to mention that if the ground mount isn't elevated high enough that the snows won't be able to slide off and away from the pvs. ground mounted pvs also elevate the theft factor so precautions need taken there.

Must be too early in the morning: fancy me not thinking of snow! :p
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Galvanizing steel = zinc

;)

Is metallic copper used in pressure treating wood? If it's a copper compound rather than metallic copper, then you won't have a battery. Zinc still would probably react with a copper compound, though, and replace the copper with itself.
  • Cariboocoot
    ggunn wrote: »
    Is metallic copper used in pressure treating wood? If it's a copper compound rather than metallic copper, then you won't have a battery. Zinc still would probably react with a copper compound, though, and replace the copper with itself.

There are actually many different compounds used in treating wood for moisture/weather resistance. Most are copper-based (copper is always a metal, even in a compound, even though its reactive properties may be altered [satisfied molecules]). This leads to the basic electrolytic process which stripped the zinc galvanizing from the hardware as per Photowhit's experience. It may not be a battery per se, but it's the same electro-chemical process.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    ...copper is always a metal, even in a compound, even though its reactive properties may be altered [satisfied molecules].
    The copper atom is always classed as a metal, true enough, but copper compounds are not metals whether the molecules are "satisfied" (do you mean covalently bonded?) or not, and any element's reactive properties are different if it is in a compound. But anyway, that's a semantic issue which I could have avoided by referring to it as "elemental copper" instead of "metallic copper".
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset