Battery Bank Voltage

Hello All..Super-Newbie Here. Is it possible to use ten 6-volt batteries to make a 24volt battery bank? Only asking because I unfortunately happen to have ten, and a 24v MS4024. I'd hate to not use the other two.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Re: Battery Bank Voltage

Nope.

Some people will make a second, small 12volt battery bank that is charged from the 24/48 volt bank.

Run 12 volt ham gear, led lighting from the second bank.

Of course, you would need to buy a 12 volt battery charger and have additional losses.

Can be done vs does it make sense to do it.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • data_engine
    data_engine Registered Users Posts: 8

I guess the best answer is to buy 2 more batteries.The problem is that I have an off-grid cabin with a generator. I would have to have to run the generator quite a lot to charge an 1100Ah Deka flooded battery bank with a Magnum inverter. Has anyone tried using a 24v forklift type battery charger along with an inverter/charger?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

I have to ask why you want/need such a big battery bank? That one has a maximum power potential of 13 kW hours. That's a lot of off-grid power.
  • data_engine
    data_engine Registered Users Posts: 8
    I have to ask why you want/need such a big battery bank? That one has a maximum power potential of 13 kW hours. That's a lot of off-grid power.

Because I have them. I was thinking use them or let 'em go dead in their boxes.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

I have a SW3000 with a 150 amp charger and run a IOTA 55 with it. I usually cut the Inverter charger off when the bulk is finished and let the IOTA do the absorption phase if you ever get that far on a generator. My bank is the same size as yours.
  • TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭

Why not just use 8 of the 10 in 2 24v banks and sell the other 2 on Craigslist or something? Seems like the best option instead of letting it all go to waste..... but that's just my $0.02
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

Make that 4 cents...

...all but the listing batteries on craigslist, they aren't allowed!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • raydias
    raydias Solar Expert Posts: 68 ✭✭✭✭

I see batteries on craigslist all the time and bougt the 6 I have from someone who posted on there. Or am I misunderstanding the craigslist reference
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raydias wrote: »
    I see batteries on craigslist all the time and bougt the 6 I have from someone who posted on there. Or am I misunderstanding the craigslist reference

From Craigslist prohibited items list (near the bottom)

"Used or rebuilt batteries, or batteries containing mercury. "

I've been flagged for posting a wanted for a forklift battery with servicable life left in it.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    raydias wrote: »

Check their listing of "prohibited items": used batteries are there. At least they are on my local. About #25 on the list:

"Used or rebuilt batteries, or batteries containing mercury."

Unfortunately the rules and tools in place to enforce them (flagging) do not work to keep the prohibited items from being posted sometimes. Just like here. :roll:
  • TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭

okokokok, sorry, don't post it on craigslist. lol. :-)

However, why would you not want to use what you can to get something running data_engine? I don't know how old these are, so buying 2 more might or might not be a good idea due to old age... Heck, i'd rather have something than running a genny at the cabin all the time.