Load Center selection -

Vic
Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
Customarily, would spec Square D QO load centers, but it has become very difficult (for me at least) to wade through the data, and then try to find a supplier who knows what they have, and so on, Soooo;

Have never used Eaton/Cutler Hammar Load Centers, but am considering specing these for a current project -- The CH line, with Copper Busses. Am not using any of the Arc-Fault breakers.

Am looking at CH 32B200J, or CH 42B200K for example. Just want a lot of breaker positions, not so much for the 200 Amp capability.

Do you pros have any guidance regarding these vs other products in mass distribution? How do the CH Switch Duty rated breakers hold up?

Any advice appreciated, Vic
Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Load Center selection -

Are you sure you don't need arc fault breakers? I thought many areas now require them for major remodels/new construction.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Vic

Hi Bill,

Well, ... Guess that there is a difference between need and want . This is an off-grid install, and all wiring is in metal pipe ... Had wondered about having several circuits AF-Protected. Dunno, believe that you had noted previously that many building/house fires are started by ARCs (IIRC).

I do not like being the Gunnie (sp?) pig. We in CA have too much experience with early; Auto Emission controls, CARB-Compliant Gas Cans, Low-VOC paint/coatings and so on and so on. The bugs get worked out on us, and eventually, with the exception of paints/coatings, some of the things work well/fairly well.

Guess with more and more cheesily made in the absolute lowest cost spot on the planet, products, we may need to worry more about just what is plugged into the electrical system.

The house where I'm typing this (in town and on the grid), has 50% original Knob-and-Tube wiring from 1916.. Some old tech stuff works fairly well ... knock, knock.

The inspectors have been running a bit behind at the target remote Off-Grid, new construction site. Some day, they will sho, tho.

Will think about it. Thanks, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    Are you sure you don't need arc fault breakers? I thought many areas now require them for major remodels/new construction.

-Bill

California, bedrooms only :confused:
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• xolar
    xolar Solar Expert Posts: 27 ✭✭

Vic,

I am also in a medium size hole in nOr cAl, where are you? I used cuttler hammer mainly untill Home Depot dropped the majority of there main panels. Now I am using mostly Murray with the occasional ch from the wholesale house.

Jason
  • Vic

Hi Jason,

I did order a Eaton CH Load Center, today. Will test it.

Have used Murray before, and they do the job, and not too expensive SQ D has been very good, but has become more difficult to find larger LCs in common distribution.

This location is about 50 miles East-ish of San Francisco on the West side of the great San Joaquin valley.

Thanks for the input. And, BB Bill, I thought that the AF breakers were in the 2011 code, which has not yet been adopted by the jurisdiction here.

And, what I should have said in the initial post that I am not planning to use the CH Plug-On-Neutral style panel(which does not need the parasitic flying Neutral lead wire).

OK, have ordered a panel and will test it. Thanks for the input
  • arghhh
    arghhh Registered Users Posts: 18
    Vic wrote: »

Do you pros have any guidance regarding these vs other products in mass distribution? How do the CH Switch Duty rated breakers hold up?

Any advice appreciated, Vic

I believe the CH style 3/4" breakers and loadcenters have a lifetime warranty if that says anything.

http://www.eaton.com/Electrical/USA/ProductsandServices/Residential/LoadcentersCircuitBreakers/CHLoadcenters/index.htm

I have just installed a new CH panel to replace a Zinsco panel I had for the last 45 years. Lowes is the major distributor for CH loadcenters and breakers up in my area (WA state).
  • Vic

Hi arghhh,

Thanks for the detail on the CH products. Have not been to Lowes lately. Their Electrical department, locally, is even more bare than is HD's, so have started going to the Wholesale Electric supplier, which also has too many holes in their inventory. The good news is that this supplier has been very busy. So, perhaps, locally, the economy may be picking up.

Thanks Vic