Too much water in one cell

Derik
Derik Solar Expert Posts: 82 ✭✭✭✭
I have one cell on my 12 Trojan L-16's RE B's that I always use to check the status of my batteries with the Hydrometer. This cell is the weak link so it's a good one to check but after checking weekly and sometimes more it was low on water where the others were ok.

I added water but too much came out and now my low SG is even lower. I changed my absorb setting from 3 hours to 5 about 5 days ago but SG is still low on this one cell, it might be coming up but very slowly. and it's been way too hot to EQ.

Currently the one cell is 1.245 with the temperature correction from the heat, taken off the hydrometer, the other cells are close to fully charged at 1.255-1.260 which is about as high as I have ever seen with my batteries.

Loads are low ( I am not there ) and I only have a night lights on and a fridge. The system is making just what it uses and is capable of making much more when I am there.

How long does it take to get SG up after watering your L-16's? These batteries are really deep and nothing like the T-105s I have where SG would go up in just a few days.

So should I wait until SG goes up by it self.. wait until cool weather (two weeks?) and EQ or take this battery out and go a total of 8 and put it on my charger at my on grid house (car charger) or leave it at 12 and just swap in a T-105 for the one L-16 and take it home and charge it?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Too much water in one cell

If you can't do an EQ charge you'll have to wait until the excess water is gassed off. The sulphur will remain behind and the SG should climb when it recombines. The EQ would speed up the process.

You're only off by 0.010, which is just about the point when EQ should be done. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Trojan goes as far as 0.030 difference in specific gravity before EQ'ing...

Also, you should rotate your "pilot cell". Doing all of the day to day testing of one cell will probably weaken it further (tiny amount of electrolyte loss with each test, bit of possible contamination from hydrometer, etc.).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

And perhaps you should consider finding a "Fill Jug" designed for battery watering. THis should help you to meter the distilled water that you replenish.

You may find these at an Auto Supply store ... Just now, do not see this product at this site Host's Store.

Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd had to order a fill jug from a surplus store. Then I found out the watermiser caps elevated the filler too high, and on the L-16's, I could only fill 2 cells, then open the jug, (the cap with the drips of acid on it) add water, recap the jug, and do 2 more cells. I went back to my 2 gatoraid bottles and an assistant to fill as I was dispensing.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Derik
    Derik Solar Expert Posts: 82 ✭✭✭✭

I have been using a clean drinking water bottle. I'll look into getting a fill jug (didn't know there was such a thing) anyway I appreciate the help, I was worried about contamination as well and will switch pilots once I get this one up to where it needs to be.

Thanks for the reassurance coot and this board certainly has been helpful.

Derik
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

in your eq chargings to bring that cell back to normal you must also watch the other cells carefully as they will give up some of their water too.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Remember that "normal" is what every s.g. value that cell has after being properly charged. You will never be able to bring it higher by simply charging it more.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset