Grid Impedance

pcguy2u
pcguy2u Solar Expert Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
I have read that inverters can have some difficulty selling if your connection to the grid is more than X miles from the last 120KV (or is it 60KV) power station/transformer.

Anyone have any experience here?

TIA,
Nick

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Grid Impedance

I think we have seen a couple installs here where a long AC run from the GT inverter to the main panel was causing problems--along with utility power being a bit on the high side already (utility cranked down voltage in one case, Enphase installer adjusted maximum voltage set point in another--if I recall correctly).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

I have not heard of a specific issue. I would guess if the GT inverter trips off on the grid impedance test then there would be a great deal of AC line voltage fluxuation to general loads within the premise. That would also trip off the GT inverter.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    Enphase installer adjusted maximum voltage set point in another--if I recall correctly).

-Bill

I think that was me. The voltage drop on the feed from the transformer to the panels caused the voltage to rise above 255vac when feeding power in. Enphase re-programmed the inverters via the monitoring Envoy to the high end of their design parameters (260vac). No problems in over a year at this level. The voltage at the combiner panel is usually 250-255vac.

To code, but actually undersized feed made me batty for a while. My installer showed me some figures using heavier feed lines on another installation so I realized there was no sense ($) in replacing the #6 with heavier cable...just learned to live with 1% less revenue:grr

Ralph