New 6.4 KW -->Aug 2011 + photos

Options
Gitchee Gumee Kid
Gitchee Gumee Kid Registered Users Posts: 19
Xantrex XW6048-120/240=60 Hybrid Inverter
Xantrex XW-MPPT60-150 Charge Controller
Kyocera KD215GX-LPU (30 panels ---> 15/array )

http://s994.photobucket.com/albums/af61/GitcheGumeeKid/Solar%20Renewable%20Energy%20Project%20%20%20%20%20July%2020110/

GGK

'

Comments

• rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: New 6.4 KW -->Aug 2011 + photos

the rebar welding and cement work was pretty impressive did you do that yourself? What do you need to weld rebar like that? will one of those lincoln $500 welders at home depot work?
    I didn't see it in the photos but I'm guessing the bottom of the dirt hole is filled with concrete about a foot deept to incase the rebar?

Thanks for sharing.!
  • Frxddy
    Frxddy Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Congrats on the good looking system! I hope wind load isn't an issue in your area. That's a lot of panel at that height. My gut says it's plenty strong, but I wonder how much wobble it'll incur at high wind loads. I'll bet in an 80 MPH wind it will deflect the top of the pole 6 or 8 inches. I've always wondered what a space between each panel would do. Going by math alone, the wind load is the same, but wouldn't allowing some wind to go between panels make less of a load?
  • Seven
    Seven Solar Expert Posts: 292 ✭✭
    Options

Awesome install!

Are you going over the max for your CC by running 5 of those panels in series? Iirc the Voc is over 30v for those panels and 5 would put you at 150v.
  • Gitchee Gumee Kid
    Options
    the rebar welding and cement work was pretty impressive did you do that yourself? What do you need to weld rebar like that? will one of those lincoln $500 welders at home depot work?
    I didn't see it in the photos but I'm guessing the bottom of the dirt hole is filled with concrete about a foot deept to incase the rebar?

Thanks for sharing.!

<================0=======================>
    rollanddelliott,
    The entire project is done by a local firm specializing in RE systems.
    The excavating rebar fabrication + welding and cement work were all sub-contracted by them.
    It was impressive welding! I agree. Wish I could do as well.
    I'll pass on giving you an opinion on a Lincoln welder.
    Yes on the last question about the concrete base (at least a foot thick )

GGK l
  • Gitchee Gumee Kid
    Options
    Seven wrote: »
    Awesome install!

Are you going over the max for your CC by running 5 of those panels in series? Iirc the Voc is over 30v for those panels and 5 would put you at 150v.
    <=================0=======================>

Just looked at the display panel. 5.3 KW's being generated (sunny,clear sky )and the CC says 51.4v on #1 CC and 51.3v on # 2 CC.

GGK
  • Gitchee Gumee Kid
    Options
    Frxddy wrote: »
    Congrats on the good looking system! I hope wind load isn't an issue in your area. That's a lot of panel at that height. My gut says it's plenty strong, but I wonder how much wobble it'll incur at high wind loads. I'll bet in an 80 MPH wind it will deflect the top of the pole 6 or 8 inches. I've always wondered what a space between each panel would do. Going by math alone, the wind load is the same, but wouldn't allowing some wind to go between panels make less of a load?
    <==================0======================>
    Frxddy,

Thank you for the congrats.
    I too fret sometimes about wind loads.
    The footings were "supposedly designed by a structural engineer. They said that they guarantee it. "They will stand behind it" But will they stand under it? lol

GGK

ROUGH SKETCH

It was a so called monolithic pour.

Arraypierfoundationsketch.jpg
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Man, I am not sure I trust your structural engineer. I have 1/3 of my pole encased in 24" concrete and rebar. And I still don't trust the pole. 3Kw array on the pole too. Wind leverage on those 4 bolts/all-thread will be fantastic. I hope it holds. The wide base underground should help anchor the beast in, but I used sch 80 8" pipe, and it feels iffy.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,