Recommendations for studying first 4 chapters of NEC? needed to install solar

rollandelliott
rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
In order to install solar on a home I need to upgrade my circuit breaker panel because right now it is completely full no space to add a net metering breaker. I want to upgrade to a 200amp panel, but the city has told me I need to take a electricity test to get my own permit. Installing a new panel is not hard, might take half a day just remove breakers and pop them in a bigger box.....and I really don't want to pay an electrician $1000 or more to do it.

Below are some sample questions. Are there any good online resources for studying up on stuff like this. I started to read the NEC 2005, but I almost slipped into a coma.

http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/CodeEnforcement/HomeownerElectrical/Pages/Sample%20Homeowner%20Exam.aspx

Homeowner Sample Exam Questions

1) What would be the net calculated load in volt amps of a dwelling unit with a floor area of 1500 sq. ft. including an unfinished cellar not adaptable for future use, unfinished attic, and open porches. Appliances are a 12-KW range and a 5.5-KW, 240-V dryer. Assume range and dryer KW ratings equivalent to KVA ratings in accordance with 220.54 and 220.55.

a) 17,600 VA
b) 17,100 VA
c) 18,600 VA
d) 18,100 VA

See Answer

2) How many outdoor convenience outlets excluding the A/C units are required for a dwelling unit that is 4867 sq. ft. with a detached garage on a quarter acre corner lot?

a) one
b) two
c) three
d) none

See Answer

3) How many 15 amp general use circuits are required for a single family dwelling unit 3120 square feet that has a full kitchen, 2 bathrooms, a living room, and 4 bedrooms each with a walk in closet?

a) 2 circuits
b) 4 circuits
c) 5 circuits
d) 6 circuits

See Answer

4) Which of the following locations are you not allowed to install overcurrent devices?

a) Hallways
b) Bedrooms
c) Clothes closet
d) Storage room

See Answer

5) All of the outlets in a single family bedroom are required by the NEC to be protected by arc-fault devices. Which of the following items are not required to be protected by arc-fault devices?

a) Switch for exterior flood lights
b) Ceiling fan
c) Wall outlets
d) Lighting fixtures

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Re: Recommendations for studying first 4 chapters of NEC? needed to install solar

Your home or your sisters? ... you can't do electrical work without a master electricians license on anything but the home you have a deed to in our state.
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Re: Recommendations for studying first 4 chapters of NEC? needed to install solar

I am aware of the laws and I am abiding by them. I would think that is obvious if I'm going to take time to take a City Govt. test and study for it. For privacy/ security reasons I am not going to divulge any location information.
    Any study suggestions would be appreciated.