Solar Panel Encapsulation

edanthony
edanthony Registered Users Posts: 7
I've viewed a lot of DIY project in you tube. I'm wonderin why some finished products are encapsulated and most are not. what is the advantage and disadvantage. any comment please? Thanks.
:D

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
    Re: Solar Panel Encapsulation

Solar PV panels?

In general, from what I have seen, solar panels fail from moisture (corrosion) and differential expansion (soldered connections lift from cells and/or lift metal from cell faces). Whatever you can do to reduce those factors is a big help (glass vs wood/plastic backing/mounting makes sealing and differential expansion worse).

Otherwise, reducing flammable components helps reduce risk of fire.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Electricsuperduty
    Electricsuperduty Registered Users Posts: 8

your best friend with the answers you seek is the "search box" . Welcome, we all started with the same questions you have.:D
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    edanthony wrote: »
    I've viewed a lot of DIY project in you tube. I'm wonderin why some finished products are encapsulated and most are not. what is the advantage and disadvantage. any comment please? Thanks.
    :D

Because some people try to do it right and some people try to do it cheap.
    Some build their panels using flammable materials (I've seen this recommended in 'Net instructions) and burn their house down.
    Some ruin dozens of cells because no one told them how tricky it is to solder the tabs.

If you expect any level of success with homemade solar panels you've got to try and duplicate the commercial units as best you can. That is not easy, cheap, or simple - unlike the claims of so many shyster web sites out there who mainly want you to buy their "how to" book.
  • Urbandialect
    Urbandialect Solar Expert Posts: 107 ✭✭✭✭

If you encapsulate the solar cells the solar panel will last longer, if you don't then you'll run into alot of problems with moisture on the inside and out side of the panel, plus the panel will fog up on the inside, now what do you do? By encapsulating the cells you will not have to worry about it.

I have built panels both ways and encapsulating is the only way to go.. I've tried different store brand epoxy resins, and i've found one that doesn't yellow that much, we'll, i'm still running test, it's been a week and still no yellowing...

If the panel holds up after running my test, i'm going building a 1kw off grid system for $375
  • BB.

Actually, here we try to avoid the "search box" answer.

For people that are new to solar/conservation, they may not even know the terms they are looking for--so it makes "search for yourself" a bit difficult and frustrating.

While many of us here do not recommend making your own solar panels (probably will not last long, can be a fire hazard), here is some information:

DIY Solar Panels - materials?
    Anyone build your own panels?

And, although I would not recommend building solar panels this way, here is one website with lots of details on DIY solar PV panels:

http://www.mdpub.com/SolarPanel/index.html

On this forum--we tend not to have much information on Do-it-yourself solar panels... It is not really possible for the typical home builder to construct solar PV panels that will last for more than a few months and are relatively fire safe.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »

On this forum--we tend not to have much information on Do-it-yourself solar panels... It is not really possible for the typical home builder to construct solar PV panels that will last for more than a few months and are relatively fire safe.

-Bill

Advance warning to anyone who is thinking about disagreeing with Bill on this point:
    It's a fact that this has been demonstrated repeatedly, so don't even go there. We are not going to have the same old arguments start up again.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Advance warning to anyone who is thinking about disagreeing with Bill on this point:
    It's a fact that this has been demonstrated repeatedly, so don't even go there. We are not going to have the same old arguments start up again.
    Aw, c'mon. Don't you want to 'aggle? ;)
  • BB.

Somebody is cru'zn for a 30 second ban.

-Bill ;) B. Moderator

PS: I should add that if anyone wants to document their building process here--that is perfectly OK too.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

here was a post, linking to a fieldlines article.
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?p=79540&highlight=fieldlines#post79540
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,