Solar Power Problems

feedhorn
feedhorn Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭
1. Sun doesn't shine all day. Sun sets = No Power

2. Sun moves around. Wrong angle = Low Power

3. Solar Panels get dirty. Dirty Panels = Low Power

4. Solar Panels get Hot. Hot Panels = Low Power

5. Clouds come over. All days arn't clear days = Low Power

6. Inverters Don't. They eventually blow out and cost big $$ to replace.

7. Chargers Don't. Chargers only charge the best cells. Weak cells get weaker.

8. Solar system maintenance eats of any benefit $$ over grid power.

Add your problems here:

FH

:D

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Solar Power Problems

haha Good thoughts/bad thoughts :D
    1) At least part of the day sun is dead on the panels = great power production.
    2) Oh, it's Fall, must tip those panels to the right angle = great power production
    3) Wow! It rained today, so now my panels are clean.
    4) Wow! It's frigging FREEZING cold out there today! But look at all those amps.
    5) Oh oh, look at those clouds - - but wait! Wow! Cloud edge effect in full bloom
    6) Cars don't last either, but they cost a heck of a lot more and don't keep my beer cold.
    7) Oh oh, Grandma's getting old. Guess we'll have to bury her and hope the kids bring the grandchild to babysit so we won't be alone.
    8 If I didn't drink so much beer and urinate so much of my pay-cheque (Cdn) up against the side of the neighbors fence, I'd have money to pay for grid power.
    9) Oh but the satisfaction involved with that fence :p:p:p
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Hmmmm--Thread can't go much lower. Right :confused::p;)

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Seven
    Seven Solar Expert Posts: 292 ✭✭
    feedhorn wrote: »
    1. Sun doesn't shine all day. Sun sets = No Power
    My batteries keep me going for hours
    2. Sun moves around. Wrong angle = Low Power
    glad I spent the extra $50 to make my mount adjustable
    3. Solar Panels get dirty. Dirty Panels = Low Power
    Another reason I'm glad they invented the garden hose
    4.Solar Panels get Hot. Hot Panels = Low Power
    Another reason to have extra panels
    5. Clouds come over. All days arn't clear days = Low Power
    Another reason to have extra panels
    6. Inverters Don't. They eventually blow out and cost big $$ to replace.
    Eventually everything.......
    7. Chargers Don't. Chargers only charge the best cells. Weak cells get weaker.
    Glad there are great forums so we knew all this stuff going into it
    8. Solar system maintenance eats of any benefit $$ over grid power.
    Having a battery backed PV array when the grid is down.......Priceless
    Add your problems here:

FH

:D

needmorewordsforreply
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

feedhorn,
    well, i guess that leaves one alternative for you. go buy a home so you can be on the grid.:roll::p
  • Frxddy
    Frxddy Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭✭✭

Feedhorn, I should send you one of my bumper stickers: "Unplug your TV and complain all you want". And for the R rated crowd: "Unplug your 'frdige and b*tch all you want".

We do have choices in life. It's easy to go without TV, and with just a bit of work we can harvest ice in the winter and have ice for the icebox all summer. Yet, some decide they *need* a TV and then complain about the chosen process to make it work? Seems odd.
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

Those aren't quite what come to my mind when I think "solar power problems". Mine are more like:

- The never ending circle: More loads, more batteries, more panels. Lather, rinse, repeat! I want to maximally use the watts my panels can produce, but don't have large loads that can be run just during the day. If I add more to the system, I daily draw the batteries down farther than I like. Okay, add batteries! Oops, now I need more panels to keep the charge rate high enough (I flirt with the low end as it is - about 5%!) so now I again have more available capacity than ability to effectively use it!

- My neighbors have now witnessed the fact my house continues operating during power outages. Strangely, what they're most interested in is Internet access - surely I can let them on my wireless network?!? :p (I actually keep MY network up longer than my ISP keeps THEIR side up. The local node will run for about 2-3 hours before dying, mine is indefinite. Wonder if they'd let me run a power line to the node...? :D Oops, another load for the issue above!)

- Doggone grid power is too cheap. Just can't economically justify laying out more cash to dramatically increase my system size. But I want to!

- Just don't have enough south-facing roof!

- Hm... How to attach a solar panel to my bicycle so I can run the ham rig off of it while cruising around the lake...

You get the idea... :cool:
  • snuffy
    snuffy Solar Expert Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭

Now why did I buy all that solar stuff when I could have bought a new dirt bike, snowmobile, jetski, or some other wonderful toy?
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

But on another level, those depending totally on grid power have put all their home energy needs in one proverbial basket. Just last week was reading in American Scientific, how the North American grid could be severely disrupted for weeks, if indeed not months, if it were successfully cyber-attacked like the Irianian nuclear facilities were a while back. They spoke of how much easier it would be for those so minded, to gain access to the grid control network. In my opinion, we as a society have long ago given up on personal independence and placed the welfare of our lives and our families lives, in the hands of big corporations, not just for our electrical needs, but food and just about everything else one can think of. I call it living on the edge. Reason would say it's only a matter of time. In fact, as early as two years ago, The Wall Street Journal reported that "Russia, China and other countries", had already penetrated the US power grid, planting software that could be used to disrupt the system. And that was two years ago!
  • isakshisinghal
    isakshisinghal Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭
    1. High Initial Capital Cost (atleast in my area)
    2. doesn't work on every time of rooftop.
    3. It is an investment and some sort of solution of your current electricity problems.

Sakshi Zolt
    Researcher, Working as a  solar panels for home Consultant
  • NANOcontrol
    NANOcontrol Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
    I think the most obvious one was missed.  The majority of the people don't know what they are doing.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or off grid, and you have 1 generator you rely on.  I'll bet it never breaks down on a sunny day.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oddly, mine did. I rarely need the diesel over the summer, but like to run it a couple of times anyway just to keep oil spread around. Did that in July, and it shook a fuse holder enough to cause a really frustrating problem.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Johann
    Johann Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    Anytime if you operate or use something, you will have costs involved. It does not matter if it is a car, a house/dwelling or solar panels and their systems or just a plain old flashlight that needs batteries.
    But you also have to see the good side of it. Your car gets you from point A to B and your house provides shelter and solar panels may give you independence or give you power while others have no grid-power, while your flashlight brighten your ways.