Just Thought I'd Say Hello :)

Options
System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
Hello everyone!

As you can probably deduce from my screen name; I live in the Nashville, Tennessee area. Like I'm sure many of you, I'm curious about and I've come here to learn something about solar power generation...in my case, I'm primarily interested in power generation during emergencies.

My only actual hands-on experience with solar power was WAY back when I was a freshmen in HS and our "Earth Science" class actually build tiny solar panels and hooked them up light bulbs, etc.

Anyway, just thought I'd say hello!

Robert

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Just Thought I'd Say Hello :)

Welcome to the forum, Robert.

(Aha! Another unsuspecting innocent to corrupt! Bwahaahaha!) :p

We try to keep things factual around here, with just enough humour to avoid being dull. ;)
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Watch the humor--I have tried that once in a while and it does not always read well on the Intertubes:roll:. Make sure to use lots of "smilies" to get point across. ;):D:p.

For an interesting and varied read--try this thread:

Working Thread for Solar Beginner Post/FAQ

A little bit of everything with lots of links for more information.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Robert! You've definitely come to the right place to learn and get a feel for solar power and all that goes with it. I came here several years back after I had already got started and was beginning to think I knew a lot about what I was doing. Strange thing happened along the way though. The more I learned from the experts here, the more I found I still had to learn :p
    Now for all intents and purposes, I'm living off grid and loving it! Will my system pay for itself in my lifetime? Who knows, depends on how long I live, but the satisfaction is awesome! And when those winter storms come, and the grid goes down, it means nothing at all to me, not even one little bit! And who knows, if our electrical rates here keep going up at the rate they have been, the system may well end up paying for itself. There are though, more things in life than making, or gaining money. What's the monetary payback on a vacation? Or those unnecessary vehicle trips? As I write this, my supper is nearly ready, cooked using solar power. Gotta love it!
    One bit of advice though, if someone here tells you something, and one of the moderators has a problem with whatever you were told - - listen to the Moderators, they won't steer you wrong.
    Peace and good luck. :D
  • James
    James Solar Expert Posts: 250 ✭✭
    Options

Hello and welcome aboard Robert.
    There is a wealth of info, knowledge and experience here.
    You will be hard pressed to find a better forum on this planet.
    james
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Robert,

Nika (and I) say hi, and welcome to the forum. She is glad another Basset is on board!

Tony
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just don't let us know you bought $18K worth of gear, the batteries are dead, and you have no idea what the blue wire is. :D;):D (lotsa smilies)

Welcome
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Options

LOL:D:p
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey Robert Welcome!

Watch out for the solar mad scientists in here, they bite! :p:p:p:p:p
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    solar_dave wrote: »
    Hey Robert Welcome!

Watch out for the solar mad scientists in here, they bite!

don't let him kid you as there aren't any scientists here, just a bunch of mad solar people.:p:p:p <notice tongue indicating funny or kidding.

welcome aboard.:D