battery charging/discharging very rapidly

Options
I have recently installed 130 W solar panel, NPower 12 V 30 A charge controller. Battery is older sealed marine type that was previously charged using an A/C type 6A battery charger.

When I hook my battery to my newer NPower controller, it shows a full charge (13.7V) within minutes. I disconnect the battery from the NPower and connect it to the my inverter, it very rapidly discharges (within minutes). This occurs no matter how long I leave it connected to the NPower. Any ideas?

P.S. I appologise if this question has already been dealt with.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: battery charging/discharging very rapidly

Bummer. It sounds like the batter is sulphated. (dead) with only a few % of it's original capacity left.

Be sure your charger is set for SEALED AGM battery type, you can quickly boil them dry with the wrong setting.

Was it kept charged in storage?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• SCharles
    SCharles Solar Expert Posts: 123 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: battery charging/discharging very rapidly

Your battery's performance [rapidly charging up, then rapidly discharging]...textbook case of sulfation and the battery is almost certainly shot. Sorry.

And when you get a new or newer battery, come back here and post all your spec's and someone will look them over and advise whether your set-up it adequate to keep that battery healthy.