Perfectly legitimate post was deleted

Options
fixer
fixer Registered Users Posts: 12
After spending a lot of time doing some lengthy research on UL, I posted a perfectly legitimate post on the subject showing how some solar products may not be UL tested or certified even though people think they are.

Cariboocoot deleted it.

Like for instance, most people don't know that Morningstar has no UL certifications on file. That's just one example. Use the link below to confirm, and search on your favorite big companies too.

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/index.htm

I don't think someone like that should have the power to delete posts.

Was anyone else notified that the post was deleted? Maybe you should wonder what else has been deleted over the years.

Now I have to hope someone with sense sees this before he deletes this too!

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: Perfectly legitimate post was deleted

Fixer,

Yes there was a discussion among us moderators about that post/thread...

The concern was it was going to be difficult to moderate.

For example, MorningStar appears to use ETL, not UL for their listing services:
    Certifications
    • CE Compliant
    • ETL Listed (UL1741)
    • cETL (CSA C22.2 No. 107.1-01)
    • FCC Class B Part 15 Compliant
    • Complies with (NEC) U.S. National Electric Code
    • RoHS Compliant
    • Manufactured in a certified ISO 9001 facility
    As long as ETL is a competent body--They are equal to UL in terms of meeting the various legal and regulatory requirements.

In the US, it is OSHA that manages this list (I think--just doing some quick research here):
    What requirements does OSHA have regarding NRTLs?

OSHA Safety Standards, which are US law, contain requirements for "approval" (i.e., testing and certification) of certain products by a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL). These Safety Standards are found in Title 29 of the Code of Federal Regulations (29 CFR), and the provisions for NRTL certification are generally in Part 1910 (29 CFR Part 1910). See Specific References to OSHA Standards for the provisions in Part 1910. The requirements help protect workers by ensuring products are designed for safe use in the workplace. An NRTL generally certifies products for a manufacturer.

OSHA Safety Standards contain general requirements for workplace safety. Many of these requirements pertain to equipment for which OSHA does not require an NRTL certification. The only products covered under the NRTL Program are those for which OSHA regulations require certification by an NRTL. Whether or not OSHA requires NRTL certification, an employer subject to OSHA's requirements must assure it complies with the provisions of the Safety Standards applicable to its operations.
    What is an NRTL, and what is the significance of OSHA recognition?

An NRTL is an organization that OSHA has "recognized" as meeting the legal requirements in 29 CFR 1910.7. In brief, these requirements are the capability, control programs, complete independence, and reporting and complaint handling procedures to test and certify specific types of products for workplace safety. This means, in part, that an organization must have the necessary capability both as a product safety testing laboratory and as a product certification body to receive OSHA recognition as an NRTL.

OSHA's recognition is not a government license or position, or a delegation or grant of government authority. Instead, the recognition is an acknowledgment that an organization has necessary qualifications to perform safety testing and certification of the specific products covered within its scope of recognition . As a result, OSHA can accept products "properly certified" by the NRTL. "Properly certified" generally means: 1) the product is labeled or marked with the registered certification mark of the NRTL, 2) the NRTL issues the certification for a product covered within the scope of a test standard for which OSHA has recognized it, and 3) the NRTL issues the certification from one of its sites (i.e., locations) that OSHA has recognized.

(Note: In terms of OSHA's usage, "NRTL" is not treated as an acronym but just as a group of initials. As such, the indefinite article "an" precedes these initials in singular usage.)
    Normally, in most forums, moderators try to limit "arguments" over moderation because of the difficulties on both sides of the question.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    Options

For example, here are the ETL Listed Marks for MorningStar corp:
    MORNINGSTAR CORP. - Newtown, PA USA
    POWER CONVERTERS/INVERTERS & POWER CONVERTERS/INVERTERS SYSTEMS FOR LAND VEHICLES & MARINE CRAFTS
    UL-458
    vwicnsr3.gifMORNINGSTAR CORP. - Newtown, PA USA
    GENERAL USE POWER SUPPLIES
    CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 107.1
    NON-INCENDIVE ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT FOR USE IN CLASS 1, DIVISION 2 HAZARDOUS LOCATIONS
    CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 213 CLS
    ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT FOR USE IN HAZARDOUS LOCATIONS, CLASS I & II, DIVISION 2 & CLASS III, DIVISION 1 & 2
    UL-1604 CLS
    INVERTERS, CONVERTERS & CONTROLLERS & INTERCONNECTION SYSTEM EQUIPMENT
    UL-1741

And for the last entry:
    Title: INVERTERS, CONVERTERS & CONTROLLERS & INTERCONNECTION SYSTEM EQUIPMENT
    Company: MORNINGSTAR CORP. - Newtown, PA USA
    Product Information: Charge Controller, Model Nos. TS-MPPT-30, TS-MPPT-45, TS-MPPT-60 consisting of: Meter Hub Relay Driver Meter Display, Model No. TS-M-2; Remote Meter Display, Model No. TS-RM-2; Communication Adapter, Model No. RSC-1.

Charger Controller, Model Nos. TS-45, TS-60 consisting of: Meter Display, Model No. TS-M; Remote Meter Display, Model No. TS-RM; Remote Temperature Sensor, Model No. RTS.

Solar Charger Controllers, Model Nos. TS-MPPT-30, TS-MPPT-45, TS-MPPT-60 consisting of: Meter Hub Relay Driver Meter Display, Model No. TS-M-2; Remote Meter Display, Model No. TS-RM-2; Communication Adapter, Model No. RSC-1.

Evaluated to the following: A representative sample of the listed devices have been tested, investigated and found to comply with the requirements of the Standard(s) for Inverters, Converters, Controllers & Interconnection System Equipment for Use With Distributed Energy Resources (UL-1741) and are identified with the ETL Listed Mark.

While I don't think UL and NRTL's in general are the ultimate in safety authorities--They do define a set of requirements that engineers and manufacturers can meet and have a "fairly safe" product if used as designed.

However--Using UL/CSA/ETL/etc. engineers/inspectors, if done right, is a collaborative effort between the manufacturer/designers and the NRTL.

I could have passed my equipment (large and complex with many different options and interfaces) by shining the NRTL on--or I could show them each area that they should inspect and document that had reference to the "standards"... It was going to cost me the same either way--So, I chose to work with them and ensure the equipment was "safe" to relevant standards and they could have an inspection plan far into the future (long after I was gone) to help ensure that the factory was still following the proper procedures and material tracking.

Is is perfect--not by a long shot. More or less, it usually ends up being a company that cares and is willing to spend $50,000 or more to register or list a product vs one that is willing to spend $0.05 for fake NRTL labels.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    Options

It has been over a decade since I have been involved with the UL/CSA/ETL/TUV xyz/etc... But the difference between UL and other NRTL's is (has been in the past) more of a customer/marketing issue and time to mark scheduling vs some sort of material difference in the end services.

Here is a quick marketing blurb from ETL on why to use them vs UL (PDF).

When concept of NRTL's first started--UL was the 600 lb gorilla in the US... Way back when, UL was even written into code (like New York Fire Code) and even though other companies (like ETL, CSA/us, and others) were legal and equal by US law, not all customers saw it that way--so we tended to use UL.

As time went on, and time to market was paramount (at least for engineering)--We had 9 month design to market cycles--and waiting 1.5 months for UL to have room in their schedule for us was not going to work. So, we started using others like CSA and TUV Rheinland as they had inspectors available on much shorter notice and approved/published much quicker than UL (at that time).

Any way--These were the issues that concerned us as moderators--Everyone loves a good Rant--but when asking some questions to get a discussion going vs some pretty bold statements, when none of us here work for any of these NRTL's, makes it difficult to both moderate and be part of the discussions.

In the end, while we understand that people will "go guerrilla" with their solar installs and many of them will work fine and never burn down a home or kill anyone--We here try to at least post the requirements, warnings, and reasons why many of us here feel this way.

However--As can be seen from many other threads, on for example building home made solar panels, we do allow the discussions to continue after the friendly warnings and attempt to help answer the questions the best we can (where to get material, types of materials to use, how to build a quick and dirty vacuum oven, etc.).

As we try to just give the warnings about safety once, we also are asking folks that want to try and go the DIY (do it yourself) route to not try and recruit others to follow their lead (build 100+ watt panels, attach to non-NRTL Listed gt inverters, wired into existing branch circuits without a licensed electrician/building department approval--as may be required, etc.)...

Just try to keep the discussions technical and not turn into jamming a stick into the eye of the "man"....

Do us moderators always agree on every action... We are four different people in two different countries. And we are as much trying to predict the future of a thread and its chance of going of the rails and causing more blow back. Do we all ways get them right--I know I am far from perfect (as my wife and kids will attest too).

It makes moderation much easier for us volunteer moderators and respects the wishes of our host, NAWS, to be open and technical... And not overtly political.

-Bill
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Good information BB. Seems to me that a few years back I saw similar posts, perhaps not on this form, also appearing to be an attempt at discrediting specifically, Morningstar. So easy for this type of thing to go viral and become "common knowledge", albeit unfair and wrong, if left unchecked. We are indeed fortunate to have, in my opinion, the best moderators of any such forms, and is the reason I no longer even visit the others.
    Still, I do sometimes find it frustrating when some posters insist on "doing it their way", and encouraging others to follow in their footsteps, even after having been warned that what they're doing is dangerous, and that there is a better way. Some people apparently can't take direction, think they know better than experts, and insist on learning the hard way every time. Just too bad they encourage others to follow that same path.
    Thanks for the clarification and as usual, all the volunteer time you put into such things.
  • fixer
    fixer Registered Users Posts: 12
    Options

Thank you BB.

You are a good moderator. You didn't delete my post or threaten to "ban" me because you don't agree with me.

Your post was informative and provides some good information.

I will do some more research and try to be more technical.

I do suggest however that when someone comes here with a DIY question, that they don't get shut down instantly with a "it's illegal" and dangerous post. It's not friendly and it makes people want to just go away.

You can easily put a terms of access or service with a disclaimer etc... and get the same results.

I don't think I have ever been to a forum where the moderators purposely try to run you off. I always thought the idea of a forum is to try to get users.

If I went to a car repair forum and wanted to know about a repair underneath the car and some guy jumped at me first thing and said "don't do it because it's dangerous under the car" I would be turned off pretty quick to that forum.

Again, thanks for the level headed reply.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think I have ever been to a forum where the moderators purposely try to run you off. I always thought the idea of a forum is to try to get users.
    I don't think that the purpose of the forum is to "get users, but rather it is to impart accurate, useful information. The devil in the details is "accurate". One person's opinion of accurate is another person's error. I think the mods tend to draw the line when we consider something patently dangerous, especially for the neophyte.

The best hint I can give as to how to get along, is to suggest that tone counts a lot in making an argument. If one opines in a strident tone on a controversial topic, they are more likely to gain negative attention. On the other hand, if you make logical, cogent argument, back up by fact as well as opinion you will stimulate a real discussion as to the merits of your idea(s).

Nobody here has any interest in "driving" anyone off. We strive to keep the dialogue going forward in a productive way.

Tony
  • BB.
    Options

Fixer,

Niel, Marc, Tony, and everyone else here spends a lot of time with no compensation when we attempt to help people by providing information on code, projects and such. And we attempt to give each person/thread equal effort in those answers--whether they are highly technical or new posters with I want to use an electric coffee maker with my 45 watt panels and 7 AH battery.

We never tell people to "use the search function" or just point them to some previous thread and say the answer are somewhere in there.

You are not the first person to comment that we always shut down DIY discussions--I will bring up this thread as an example of the discussion--and it one of the few threads that we have ever locked, mostly because there was nothing more to discuss and it was causing people frustration who keep seeing the same issue repeatedly being flogged:

Do It Yourself--Why so many negative comments?

I think what "attracted" attention:
    fixer wrote: »
    Man nothing but kill joy.

I say have fun, do it and learn. It's a hobby, let the guy have fun!

500W... 800W... IT'S A HOBBY!!!!

It's sad that you have to keep asking the same question over and over.

Yes, you can stack them, there is no technical reason why not. Be reasonable with the amount of things you plug into any AC circuit on one breaker, duh.

We don't want to minimize the hazards. We (forum members) want people to realize that there are real hazards here and understand why things are done the way they are.

There are thousands of posters and people who read this forum--and we have no idea of any particular person's level of technical knowledge. Add the fact that mixing simple components into complex systems raises issues too.

We do not try to get wrapped too tightly around the safety axle.

In the above thread, the question was about whether or not a person can add multiple GTI inverters to AC home wiring via "stacking"--The answer(s) given were both don't do it guerrilla (from a safety point of view) and that GT inverters are, by design, synced to the grid so stacking/placing multiple GT inverter on grid AC will function fine.

Just please do not minimize the safety hazards. It is actually quite difficult to design a "safe" installation with multiple sources of power (see my ~26 page rant about NEC and the DC GFI protection system--which I believe is highly unsafe both in terms of fire, shock hazard, and system integration):

Question on Square D-QO panel

But I try to not bring that up in every off-grid/GT power thread.

Solar power tends to be an Install and Forget technology (if done right). And because it is forgotten (when done right--it just provides stable power for years), when failures occur (failing panels, overheated wiring, somebody comes in later and plugs a heavy load into a "non-dedicated" solar GT circuit, etc.)--lives and property can be placed at risk.

Would have the deleted UL Thread (actually just moderated, the thread is still "here"), gone down that road--I don't know, but I could see Marc's (Cariboocoot's) concerns. But it attracted enough attention that there was concern that it may. Combine safety and difficulty moderating a forum for professional/family friendly interactions (which we strive for here), it looked like it could go down hill.

As was talked about in a few posts the last day or so, we will never have a "Cafe" forum here (Windsun, the owner/admin of this forum has always said no). They can be disruptive to the purpose of the forum (solar RE power and conservation) and difficult to moderate without ticking somebody off.

I hope that this thread can eventually "go away" and we do not need to moderate/lock... We are not trying to shut people or discussions down--just keep them friendly and informative.

Fair enough?

-Bill
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

For the record:

I did not "threaten" to ban fixer. I warned him he was in danger of being banned due to handing out dangerous and illegal advice (in the thread Bill mentioned above) and his antagonistic attitude towards the moderators in that thread. His other posts were not "deleted" but "moderated"; held back from public viewing for discussion among the moderators because of their content just as Bill explained.
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Options
    fixer wrote: »
    After spending a lot of time doing some lengthy research on UL, I posted a perfectly legitimate post on the subject showing how some solar products may not be UL tested or certified even though people think they are.

Cariboocoot deleted it.

Like for instance, most people don't know that Morningstar has no UL certifications on file. That's just one example. Use the link below to confirm, and search on your favorite big companies too.

You will find most of us Manufacturers in the renewable market use ETL not UL for listing purposes.
  • HuckMeat
    HuckMeat Registered Users Posts: 24
    Options

UL gets mentioned the most often, but my utility only required that the inverter meet the specific UL17xx listing (It's the grid tie shutdown behavior), and that the rest of the components (panels, combiners, breakers) be listed.

The 'Being listed' meant UL or CSA or ETL, etc.

But by all means, put homemade panels on your roof.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HuckMeat wrote: »
    But by all means, put homemade panels on your roof.

Hahahaha Yeah, on "your" roof, not on mine. :p:p:p