what are small solar panels used for?

Options
rollandelliott
rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
So I see these 10w, 20w 40w, 60w panels out there. I'm trying to come up with a list of things these small panels are used for?

trickel charging 12v battery small 10w unit
remote pumps ?W for that
RV usage around 60w to 100w panels
Boat usage 100w and up

any other applications that are fairly common?

Comments

• The Only Sarge
    The Only Sarge Solar Expert Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: what are small solar panels used for?

Electric fence charger
    Gate opener battery charger
    Hay lift battery charger
    Small lighting applications such as feed bunkers etc. in remote locations
    Emergency power for small tools/electronics
  • The Only Sarge
    Options

Charger for my toothbrush so I can brush my tooth.:p
  • Seven
    Seven Solar Expert Posts: 292 ✭✭
    Options
    Charger for my toothbrush so I can brush my tooth.:p

Nice. tooth lol

longermessage
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I carried a 10 watt 12 volt to charge 2 small 6v(pack of cigs) SLA batteries (without a controller) on a bicycle trip, charged as 12 volt then used as 6 volt. Survived 8 months running a small light, sw radio, and later a small TV.

I have a bunch of 6v 500ma nominal panels, I've done a couple 4 panel 12 volt chargers and a couple single panel with a voltage regulator USB chargers with them. even my finicky Nokia N800 works with them!

I'm currently piecing together a total loss (uncontroller) battery charger for 2 LED light banks for someones flag pole. (35 amphours 6v SLA battery with about 1 amp of charging, 2 panels, in full sun)
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Slappy
    Slappy Solar Expert Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

5 watt for a El-sid circulating pump. and to charge small batts and some LED's
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

some use them for charging cell phones, laptop computers, and aa batteries, especially when in a remote location.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Motor bike and lawn tractor battery maintainers over winter. 5 watt panels directly connected (no controller) and left that way all winter. Short winter days and not a lot of full sun days, so works fine.
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Options

I re-utilized a 5 watt panel / charge controller, after an upgrade, to charge two 6 volt, 3.4AH AGM batteries in a hay barn. The two 6V batteries were originally in a portable compressor, and they got too weak for the pump. They are still good enough for an MR16 4Watt LED, sort of an 'area' light at night. I have them on a switch, providing enough illumination so that I don't trip over stuff after dark.
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    Options

A 20-30W panel and small battery would let me use my amateur radio rig all day long at a picnic table in the park, by the lake, or up on a hilltop.

I recently watched a Youtube video of a guy who mounted a solar panel and antenna to the back of his recumbent tricycle and went bicycle-mobile with his HF radio! :)
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Options

These are pretty cool applications! where r u getting these small lead acid batteries? online source? Local source?
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

you may have a batteriesplus store near you as they carry quite a few.
  • The Only Sarge
    Options

Some radio shacks carry their lil 12v burglar alarm batteries in stock also.
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭
    Options

I put a 5W panel on our boat to keep the battery maintained between outings:

http://2manytoyz.com/solarcharger.html

I'm using a 15W panel to operate an attic fan:

http://2manytoyz.com/solar.html
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Options
    2manytoyz wrote: »
    I put a 5W panel on our boat to keep the battery maintained between outings:

http://2manytoyz.com/solarcharger.html

I'm using a 15W panel to operate an attic fan:

http://2manytoyz.com/solar.html

I did the same thing with three 4.75" muffin fans, in my storage shed. My 80Watt panel has enough current for fans and battery during the day, the system loses a half-volt running the fans overnight. These muffin fans are rated at 280mA each, connected to the LVD of my CC.