Morningstar MPPT Presets

Options
Wanderman
Wanderman Solar Expert Posts: 180 ✭✭✭
Anyone know why the #6 preset for the Morningstar MPPT controllers sets the voltage at 14.7? Is there a battery out there (Lead Acid) that wants this as a charge voltage?

I ask, because Trojan is looking fro 14.8V and to get that I will have to program custom set points. Not that 14.7 WON't work.....

Just curious.

Rick

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Morningstar MPPT Presets

If I remember right, it's a setting Morningstar came up with, specifically for L-16's.
  • Wanderman
    Options

OK... I wonder if it's worth setting up a custom 14.8v preset for Trojans?

Also, why don;t the have a "prettier" interface for their monitoring software...you'd think people would like to have a flatscreen on the wall with all the data at their fingertips.

Rick
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

Probably not... Do you have a Remote Battery Temperature Sensor setup?

That can be worth the money with faster/better battery charging and helping to reduce the chance of thermal run-a-way (charging battery, battery gets hot, charging voltage drops, charger thinks more charging current/time needed to charge battery, battery gets hotter and eventually fails/melts down).

Probably not going to have a meltdown with 10% rate of charge from solar panels--But you should get much better charging.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Wanderman
    Options

BB,
    The remote Temp sensor was installed from the beginning, along with remote battery voltage sense. More efficient that way.

I have been seeing 14.7V charges regularly....not sure if the extra .1V is worth too much Amp/Hr or battery longevity wise.

What do you think?

Rick