Dyson's Bladeless Fan: Worth the Hefty Cost?

Options
Dyson Inc.'s new fan resembles anything but a fan. The company calls it an "air multiplier." To the average sci-fi enthusiast, it looks like a miniature replica of a stargate — but alas, this gadget does not create a wormhole that teleports people to distant worlds.

When introduced recently to students in a cafeteria at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the ring-shaped contraption immediately drew curious onlookers. "It's clearly a fan," said engineering student Sergei Bernstein, 18, placing his palm before the draft of cool air flowing from the circular frame. "But it looks completely different, very modern," said his friend John Berman, 17.
It's no surprise that Dyson, the company behind the bagless vacuum cleaner, would devise a bladeless fan. Since the invention of the electric fan in the late 19th century, the air-stirring apparatus has not changed in any significant way — a quick Google Images search suggests that every model from the classic 1950s table fan to the industrial exhaust fan to a Batman-inspired fan has one consistent, characteristic feature: rotating blades. But Dyson did away with those, replacing them with a graceful ring set atop a cylindrical base. In essence, the device works like a vacuum cleaner in reverse. The motor in the base of the fan sucks in air and pushes it up into the ring. The air rushes out of tiny, millimeter-long slots that run along the circular frame and flows down a gently sloping ramp. As the air emerges from the ramp, it creates a circular low-pressure region that pulls in the air from behind — creating a fairly uniform flow of air through the ring.

Conventional fans, by contrast, are messy, says Andy Samways, senior design engineer at Dyson, explaining the reasoning behind this latest invention. "In a regular fan, the blade is chopping the air up and hurling the packets of air [at you]," he says. The Dyson bathes users in a constant cool breeze.

But despite its striking looks (compared with a dusty box fan fished out of the basement, it could pass for sculpture) and gracious soundlessness (the machine emits a gentle hiss, no louder than the air conditioner in your car), it's hard to see how the new fan is a functional improvement over age-old models. While Dyson's past inventions — such as the bagless vac and the ultra-high-speed hand dryer — significantly enhanced the performance of those devices, the Air Multiplier doesn't exactly make a quantum leap in terms of its primary function, cooling. (On a sweltering day, even "packets of air" can be glorious.) On top of that, the Dyson fan carries a whopping $300 to $330 price tag.

Because there are no outwardly moving parts, however, it's safer for children. At 3.5 lb., it's also eminently portable. And even though the plastic shell looks delicate, Dyson's engineers claim that the product has survived test drops from stairwells and tables. In short, it has all the characteristics of a new gadget that can be copied and mass-produced in some Chinese factory — for hundreds of dollars less. But before you set your sights on a bootleg version, Samways says that the Air Multiplier's deceivingly simple structure is the result of a laborious design process that can't be easily copied. "We have many patents on this [fan], on the impeller, aerofoil and product development," he says. Whether those patents can stand up to the sheer bureaucracy of enforcing them in China remains to be seen.

For now, though, the bladeless fan will cost as much as a couple of weeks' worth of groceries. That's a prohibitively steep price for many Americans in simple need of a fan. So may we suggest that Dyson entice buyers by throwing in the wormhole attachment?

note: all 3 links have been deleted, but the post is being allowed to stand otherwise.

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Dyson's Bladeless Fan: Worth the Hefty Cost?

Had a serious look at a couple the other week. Quite the novelty item, but beyond that - - - instead of having conventional fan blades, it has a blower in the base to pressurize air, which is than forced through thin slits around the circumference of the "hole", where through a venturi effect, the high speed air gathers nearby air, creating a fan-like movement of said air. It's relatively complicated and high powered internal design would, I expect, use substantially more power per cu ft of air moved, than would a well designed conventional fan. Novelty? Definitely yes. Efficient? Well, I suspect not so much. There's no way I'd pay the kind of money retailers are demanding, and fully expect that like the infamous Cabbage Patch Doll, once the novelty wears off - - - well, you get the picture. And just wait until the little slits begin to get clogged up with lint, dog hairs etc. Much easier to clean the blades of a conventional fan. But hey, "everyone" has a conventional fan, nothing special about that. :p
  • Frxddy
    Frxddy Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

"In a regular fan, the blade is chopping the air up and hurling the packets of air [at you],"

That's exactly what makes a fan cool you off! My very first reaction when I saw this "new fangled fan" was "Who would want a perfectly steady stream of air?"

It certainly has to use more electricity per cubic foot of air moved, just think about all the internal friction to get the air to come out of the rig. And, as mentioned, I can't imagine trying to clean it after a year or two of use. I have to admit that I like the idea of some of his vacuum cleaner designs, but this fan....it makes me giggle!
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This just sounds like HYPE from the manufacturer ... does this post even belong here? Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options

You can get centrifugal fans that don't "chop the air up (poor air :-)) for about 1/8th the price that move a lot more air.
  • jeffkruse
    jeffkruse Solar Expert Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    Options

Gee, I didn’t know it had a fan in the base. I was thinking maybe they ionized the air and then moved it with a magnetic field. Not so cool as it stands.
  • Windsun
    Options

Yup, and it appears from posts in other places that it can easily get clogged up with dust.

This is not really a solar product, but at first appearance it looks like it might be more energy efficient, but that does not really appear true either when you look at the amount of air it moves.
  • waynefromnscanada
    Options
    jeffkruse wrote: »
    I was thinking maybe they ionized the air and then moved it with a magnetic field.

That's along the lines I was first thinking too, was expecting to smell ozone, as there are no visible moving parts, but upon investigation - - - - hahahaha not so.
    Just a novelty item using conventional venturi technology, at a totally outlandish price. Get rich quick, then flee.
    For some reason, I suspect the sales people who started this thread, were expecting us all to be totally amazed. Sorry, guess a lot of us have been around the block, have seen and know a bit more than they were expecting. :)
  • James
    James Solar Expert Posts: 250 ✭✭
    Options

From a strictly safety point of view, i suppose folks with children and lots of dollars might find this usefull for awhile...as a kid with tiny fingers, i found out first hand (or first finger in my case!). Fans in the 1950's had somewhat larger openings than those of today.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

Long hair and rotating machinery--Not pretty.

Yale Student's Death raised question about “Buddy System ...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Seven
    Seven Solar Expert Posts: 292 ✭✭
    Options

Just wait until some kid gets his head stuck in the opening. We have a dyson vacuum cleaner and when I first saw the commercial I was interested. I went and checked one out. Very disappointed. Way too much money and too little flow. Plus the contact area from the "fan" is small. When it is moves from left to right and you are in front of it, you feel air, then no air, then air again. A regular fan you would feel air the entire time. It is like you feel each side of the ring and nothing in the middle.
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Options

No. It is not worth the money for the little breeze it creates. I saw two different sizes at a local tech store, and neither could produce sufficient breeze as a standard $20 box fan. It's not innovation if it sacrifices function.
  • Windsun
    Options
    James wrote: »
    From a strictly safety point of view, i suppose folks with children and lots of dollars might find this usefull for awhile...as a kid with tiny fingers, i found out first hand (or first finger in my case!). Fans in the 1950's had somewhat larger openings than those of today.

The blower type fans like these http://www.shoplasko.com/products/lasko_fans/blower_fans are much safer around kids, almost impossible to get fingers and hair into. A bit noisier than other types though.
  • waynefromnscanada
    Options
    lerry wrote: »
    You know what?
    i really like Dyson fans, very attractive design, but,i think the price is pretty high! i would never drop $400 on a fan.
    Actually i found something the same like Dyson fans, China products,seems not bad, you should have a look, [deleted link--spammer--Bill. B.]

Not interested. They are what they are. The low efficiency, novelty Cabbage Patch Doll of fans, here today at a huge price - - - and tomorrow?
  • Shadowcatcher
    Shadowcatcher Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    Options

Other than wow factor it seems as commented on way overpriced and if there is an advantage i.e. it uses less power for a given CFM that is quiet, it is not well spelled out.
    I am using computer case fans in our teardrop trailer for a low power draw and up to (claimed) 100 CFM on high.
    I would like to see well designed-quiet (blade design) ball bearing (long life) fans.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ...on the impeller, aerofoil and

Sounds like a "concealed blade fan". I'll bet the CFM per watt is way low.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• waynefromnscanada
    Options
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Sounds like a "concealed blade fan". I'll bet the CFM per watt is way low.

Yes, concealed, relatively high pressure blower in the base provides the pressurized air flow for the venturi style ring.