Questions on Cleaning Panels

Options
Fire Instructor
Fire Instructor Registered Users Posts: 9
Hi, Folks!

I got my two SunTech 150W panels mounted (made my own 4-axis tilt mounts for my travel trailer) and connected to my new Rogue MPT-3024 Controller. All of this is connected (with #4 cable) to a pair of 6-volt golf cart batteries with 220Ah capacity. I have photos posted at http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x58/Fire_Instructor/Rockwood%20Solar%20Install%20%202011/ . These include photos of the new 3024, as well.

While taking the photos that I posted, I noticed that a feathered creature had christened one of the panels... Hmmm... the bird must own stock in the local power grid supplier....

Anyway, this "mess" drives two questions:

1) How often should I clean my panels? They will travel flat on the travel trailer, but will be angled, as needed when parked.

2) What should I use (more importantly - what SHOULDN'T I use) to clean the panels?

Access isn't a problem, as the travel trailer has a ladder, and I need to go up there to set the panel angle.

Any / all comments and information is appreciated!

BTW - No information at all was shipped with the panels so please don't flame me with an "RTFM". ;)

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Questions on Cleaning Panels

Four axis tilt? I always knew Albany was different. :p

As for cleaning, panels are basically glass so you clean them as such. The only warning is don't clean them in the bright sunlight as the liquid will act as a lens and concentrate the rays. How often? As needed. Some places they'll get dirtier faster. Sticky tree sap and pollen are the worst.
  • Fire Instructor
    Options

You got me, Sir! :p

Make that TWO axis, four direction!

Thank you for the info on cleaning the panels!
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wash with car wash brush and mild mild soap, rinse well, and follow with a splash of distilled water ( or the De-Ionized water) to keep it from getting water spots on it.

I'd wash in the morning, before sunrise, so you don't heat shock the glass, and after you arrive at camp.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭
    Options

I use an extendable RV brush (Walmart automotive section) to gently scrub the panels. Also use the same brush on my vehicle's clear coat. Doesn't scratch the vehicle, works great on the tempered glass panels too.

clean2a.jpg

Just use a little soapy water to break up the crud, then rinse with the hose.

clean1a.jpg
  • wb7duo
    wb7duo Registered Users Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Options

Fire Instructor, love your mounts. I wish I had seen this post a week ago when I flat mounted my panels. Now I may have to make new mounts and have extra holes in my 5th wheel.

Are those stainless steel hinges? Did you make the vertical pieces? or is that stock with holes in them. Seems hardware selection is getting harder to find around here.

Thanks!
  • bluewickedburner
    bluewickedburner Solar Expert Posts: 78 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If your panels get water stains on them one very effective way to remove nearly any stain and get the glass as clean as possible is to use a clay bar.

The clay bar can be found at nearly every auto parts store. The process is simple and takes only a few minutes but the glass on your panels will be as clean and smooth as the day they were made. Using a clay bar can't hurt the glass since it only picks up the gritty stuff that sticks to the class or manages to glue it self there through interaction with sunlight.

BTW, you can also do this on your car windshield and you'll be amazed at how dirty it was even after washing.

Wash your panels and run your fingers over the glass. If it isn't super smooth or fells even slight gritty the clay bar will clean it perfectly. The stuff is reusable many times over and stuff is less likely to stick to the glass afterwards.

Does that make your panels harvest more energy? I have absolutely no idea.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Does that make your panels harvest more energy? I have absolutely no idea.

Technically, yes. Measurably ... :roll:

Getting the visible dirt off will produce the most noticeable results in improved power production.
    And yes you can rinse them with "Jet Dry" after a wash to keep spots from forming in the first place.

I brush off loose debris, let the rain handle most of it, and attack with glass cleaner and squeegee if there's anything sticking on. Most of the time if I can't see it from the ground I don't worry about it. It's one more reason why having lots of panel capacity is good; you could go nuts cleaning them daily to squeeze another 2 Watt hours out of 'em.
  • Fire Instructor
    Options
    wb7duo wrote: »
    Fire Instructor, love your mounts. I wish I had seen this post a week ago when I flat mounted my panels. Now I may have to make new mounts and have extra holes in my 5th wheel.

Are those stainless steel hinges? Did you make the vertical pieces? or is that stock with holes in them. Seems hardware selection is getting harder to find around here.

Thanks!

Stainless steel hinges came from HardwareSource.com. Eveything else from local Home Depot, Lowes, or True Value Hardware. Couldn't find aluminum stock with pre-drilled holes, so I made my own. Made no more than 6 holes on the adjustable end, and then cut another piece of stock. If i go to a "low" hole, I didn't want to chance the part sticking up causing me any shadow problems.

A few more holes won't hurt too much.... that's what eternabond and dicor are for....
  • wb7duo
    wb7duo Registered Users Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Options

Thank you! Glad my 5th wheel isn't made from stainless... they're proud of that stuff!!

Greg