where to buy DC wire?

rollandelliott
rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
This is a total newbie question. I bought some panels, but the supplier forgot to ship the wire.

I know I can't use romex, does Lowes/H.Depot sell DC wire? if not recommendations?

I need about 125 feet x 2 strings of panels = 250 feet of 14 AWG UF or THW wire
and ten feet of 10 AWG cable

Thanks!

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Re: where to buy DC wire?

unless its sunlight / wet rated it has to be in conduit ( THWN )

What I have done is bought 100ft lengths with the MC4 installed, you can also buy extra MC4 and the crimper to make your own
  • rollandelliott

cool where would I buy that at?
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

The generous sponsor of this site, N. AZ Wind & Sun, sells MC4 extension cables:
    http://www.solar-electric.com/incaforsoelp.html

This link is the more general wire master page:
    http://www.solar-electric.com/hardware---wire.html

I did have a local whosale electrical distributor order some USE-2 (with sunlight resistant rating)/XLP/ something else. At the time is was less expensive than that same distributor's price for standard THHN/THWN-2/MTW/AMW or whatever. It took about 10 days for it to be delivered.

Crimpers specifically for MC4 connectors CAN cost about $600 or so. The extension cables are a very good solution.

Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • SCharles
    SCharles Solar Expert Posts: 123 ✭✭

If you are looking for wire, both Lowe's and HD have it by the foot. I have purchased as recently as last week some 6 ga and 8 ga. copper wire from them. If you are needing special MC4 cables, that I don't know about them as I use regular junction box panels.

I've seen larger ga. wire at one of those stores, up to 4 ga., but I don't recall which one it was. But I could be surprised if they carry those supplies. Best bet is to order from this site sponsor. Their prices are good.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    This is a total newbie question.
    I bought some panels

Thanks!

Just wondering - - how many and what wattage and voltage are panels, what voltage is the system?
    Wondering about the 250 feet of #14 wire - - - -
  • TommyBoy
    TommyBoy Registered Users Posts: 9
    This is a total newbie question. I bought some panels, but the supplier forgot to ship the wire.

I know I can't use romex, does Lowes/H.Depot sell DC wire? if not recommendations?

and ten feet of 10 AWG cable

Thanks!

Why not buy from Nothern AZ, the forum host?
  • rollandelliott

wayne you are right to wonder about it! I must of miscalculated things in my head this is the system below
    solararray.jpg
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

So each string is wired in series for 320 VDC open circuit, and 12.3 amps Short circuit? I'm assuming grid tied.
    Wow! Nice system :)
  • BilljustBill
    BilljustBill Solar Expert Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    TommyBoy wrote: »
    Why not buy from Nothern AZ, the forum host?

....Because, offically, NAWS doesn't price match their prices....Cheaper, elsewhere.

Plus, even though you may have to pay your state's sales tax, buying locally will save you shipping charges....
    Bill