Adding 1.44kW to current 2.94kW system (Questions)

Spiffster
Spiffster Registered Users Posts: 23
I am looking into upgrading our current 2.94kW system that was installed by REC Solar in Littleton, CO and I have a few questions. My current system is composed of 14 210watt Kyocera panels (KD-210GX-LPU) on a roof facing east with a SMA 4000US inverter. My garage's roof runs perpendicular to the house and has a south facing roof that has an available area of 20'x10'. Enough room for 6 Kyocera KD-240GX-LPB panels in landscape orientation (2 rows of 3). I plan to use the new Enphase M215 inverters.

Now to the questions: Considering that the house already has a PV system installed what equipment will I need to order to complete the upgrade besides the 6 panels and the 6 inverters w/ the AC branch install kit? Not sure what I would need as far as mounting equipment goes at all...

How hard would it be for me to do the install myself as I have no experience with this stuff at all?

Should I just have REC Solar do the upgrade? If so, any ideas how much could I expect to pay for just the installation?

Thanks!

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Adding 1.44kW to current 2.94kW system (Questions)

You have to have room for a second 240 vac double pole breaker in your main panel--and your pane has to be large enough to manage the extra current from the new array (main panel cannot have more than 20% worth of circuit breakers from solar array--I.e., 20% of 200 amp panel means 40 amps maximum of solar array--I.e,, 2x 20 amp breaker pairs=40 amps).

Cost wise, seen recent pricing on the forum from $5 to $8 per Watt of solar power installed, before rebates. Given that yours is a "smaller system", they may charge $8+ per watt to install (I am not in the solar biz--just some starting points for planning).

You probably would also want their energy management unit to monitor the inverters (power generated)--Plus there is a website available that integrates via your Internet with the "Envoy" monitor box.

You saw how hard (or easy) it was to install the system. If you do it yourself, you may need to find an Electrician to sign off for the building permit final approval (and sometimes Electric Utility) for approval/local rebates. Requirements vary by state and local codes.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Spiffster

Thanks for the quick reply BB! Looking at my main panel I see all sorts of different switches, 15, 20, 30, and 50 amp. I can say that I have 2 spare 50 amp breakers and 2 spare 15 amp breakers. I attached a pic of my panel.

Will this even work for me? Looks like I have an 810amp panel... at least thats what all the breakers add up to.

Looks like my existing 2.94kW system is using 4x30amp breakers!

Sorry, im a complete noob with this stuff.
  • BB.

This is why electricians get paid the big bucks (they wish :roll:)... I am not an electrician.

You need to find the rating of the main panel bus bars (look around for panel p/n, rating information, etc.). The rules are different between commercial and residential about how many and what size circuit breakers can be stuffed in a panel--I believe for residential, you are allowed to install more breakers (sum of the breakers) and exceed the incoming breaker rating.

The first time thru--things are very confusing.

Probably, your panel is large enough to support your planned array. But I do not know.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭

What is the number on the top breakers across the top, that is your main. They should have a gang bar connecting them together. If it is 200 amp then you can have a MAX of 40 amp of PV attached to your load center as previously stated. Looks like actually your PV 30Amp is the center two ganged breakers of the 4 breakers at the bottom. The one below it and above it appears to be ganged together with the outer connecting bracket.
    I would have requested a smaller inverter on your 2.94 KW array as the SMA4000US will only be at @ two thirds rated power with max from the panels. The SMA4000US would require the 30 amp breaker. The SMA3000US could have been installed with a 20 amp and that would leave you room for the 15-20 amp required for your expansion. SMA 3000US will handle a 3750 W Max Array.

Would talk to the installer and your local building permit people and explain what you have for max wattage. May beable to add an external Inverter Combiner box, with a 40 amp breaker in main panel and the 30 amp 2 pole and a 15 amp 2 pole breaker in the combiner box. May be possible to downgrade the 30 amp to 20 amp for the SMA Inverter, would require local inspectors approval.

Just a few observations and possible suggestions for your system expansion. I would have someone do the installation for you. Doing it incorrectly can cause death and / or destruction of Life and Property.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

Mine has a combiner setup external to the main panel, I have 2 PVP5200 (23 amp output each) which need a 30amp breaker each, they are in a small breaker panel which then is wired into the main panel with a 60amp breaker. The Main panel in question has been derated to 175amp Mains in a 200 amp panel to get by the 200 amp busbar rating X 120% total possible load on the bus bar of the panel. The only other thing now on that panel is a 100amp sub panel feed for my new workshop/garage/office. The main house loads are on its own 200 amp panel. Because my setup was a fairly large, they required a service entrance upgrade to dual 200 amp panels on a 400 amp meter and larger line to the transformer, but your system is small enough I doubt anything like that is warranted.

The problem with most system is if they require you to derate the mains in the panel then the loads become to high for the lowered value main. That is what happened to me and my service entrance upgrade.

What they are trying to prevent is overloading the busbar in the panel, if you have a 200 amp rated panel and add a 50 amp PV feed to it now it is possible to over load the busbar in the panel above it rated value. They do allow 120% of the rated busbar capacity as power input lines to the busbar. That would be the Main breaker plus the PV feed combined.
  • Spiffster

All I know is that I am now more confused than ever. I will check the panel rating information when I get home tonight. That said, there is no way in hell Im gonna do this install myself.

Anyone know of a good installer in the denver (littleton) area?

Thanks for the feedback guys!
  • BB.

Yea--doing your first install can be daunting--especially if you have something a bit non-standard or confusing to work out.

Basically--Think of the "heart" of your system is the bus bars in your main panel.

And say they are rated for 100 Amps. You would normally have a 100 amp main breaker and you can put 20% or 20 Amps of solar into the bus. For a total of 120 amps available on the bus bars.

You could also, drop the 100 amp incoming breaker to 80 amps, and now have up to 40 amps of solar GT power powering the bus (80 amps + 40 amps = 120 amps total on bus).

Also--the solar GT AC breakers are supposed to be installed at the "bottom" of the panel (opposite end of the bus from the AC Mains input breakers).

For a residential main panel--you can have more loads (circuit breakers) than the bus/main breaker is rated for (I don't know the upper limit--if there is none).

For commercial panels (as I understand--again, not and expert here)--the Main Breaker/Bus Bars need to be rated to handle 100% of the amount of circuit breakers installed.

Does that sort of help?

-Bill
  • Spiffster

Yes that does clarify things a bit. So I really need to find what the bus bars are rated for then. I will take a look when I get home. I assume the "bus bars" are those switches at the top of the attached picture where it says service disconnect below them?
  • BB.

You have the main breaker at the top--which cannot be larger than the bus bar ratings themselves--Frequently the Main Breaker is the same rating as the bus bars (but not always).

The Bus Bars (and electrical box, etc.) carry their own maximum current rating too.

Add in temperature / wiring derating and possible differing opinions by inspectors--and it is confusing.

-Bill
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Spiffster wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply BB! Looking at my main panel I see all sorts of different switches, 15, 20, 30, and 50 amp. I can say that I have 2 spare 50 amp breakers and 2 spare 15 amp breakers. I attached a pic of my panel.

Will this even work for me? Looks like I have an 810amp panel... at least thats what all the breakers add up to.

Looks like my existing 2.94kW system is using 4x30amp breakers!

Sorry, im a complete noob with this stuff.
    The load breakers (breakers controlling power OUT from the panel) aren't part of the 120% calculation, only the main and backfed breakers from the PV system. Also, check with your AHJ; some of them will not allow more than one backfed breaker in the main panel. If that is the case you will need to install an AC combining load center (sometimes called an aggregation panel) to feed a single backfed breaker in the main panel. Sometimes you need to do this anyway to conform to the 20% rule.

BTW, it is unlikely that your single inverter is feeding 4 breakers.
  • TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭
    ggunn wrote: »
    BTW, it is unlikely that your single inverter is feeding 4 breakers.

It appears in the picture that the A/C is tied between the 2 solar breakers.
  • Spiffster

OK so I have some more information on the panel. The bus bar is rated at 150amp the main breaker is also 150amp. The inverter (SMA4000US) is hooked into 30amp breaker. So thats my 20% right there... even if I go to 200amp($) 20% rule will only give me 10amp for PV system add on. I think it was mentioned that I could down rate the main breaker(?) to say 125amp... wouldn't that give me 125+30=155 where 180 would be 120% of the bus bar rating so I would have another 25amp to work with. Right?
  • BB.

Yep--I believe you are correct.

While my home has a 125 amp main service, I have no major electric loads other than microwave, and usual appliances--Are your peak loads small enough to operate reliably on 125 amps (really 80% of 125 amps = 100 amps maximum continuous current).

-Bill
  • Spiffster
    BB. wrote: »
    Yep--I believe you are correct.

While my home has a 125 amp main service, I have no major electric loads other than microwave, and usual appliances--Are your peak loads small enough to operate reliably on 125 amps (really 80% of 125 amps = 100 amps maximum continuous current).

-Bill

To give an idea on loads, we bought the house as a foreclosure about a year ago, there were no appliances so I did my research and filled the house with energy efficient appliances. The house is 2400sq ft. The most juice will be drawn from the AC and the dryer... heat and range are gas (thats why the range breaker is OFF). I guess to get the most accurate assessment we would have to get a "load assessment" done right?
  • BB.

Yea--You might have to do that. And check with your local building department. They may have rules on sq.ft. and minimum service requirements and such.

There are a fair number of whole home energy monitoring systems (T.E.D. is one of them). For a few hundred dollars, you can do some real time monitoring of power usage and see where you fall.

There are some folks here that have installed TED's and others... Each seems to have its own pluses and minuses.:roll:

-Bill
  • Spiffster
    Yea--You might have to do that. And check with your local building department. They may have rules on sq.ft. and minimum service requirements and such.

There are a fair number of whole home energy monitoring systems (T.E.D. is one of them). For a few hundred dollars, you can do some real time monitoring of power usage and see where you fall.

There are some folks here that have installed TED's and others... Each seems to have its own pluses and minuses.:roll:

-Bill

Funny that you mention TED. I have one installed but that's another thing! Mine is only a 1 MTU setup because apparently there is some limitation of my meter. So I have TED info available for PV energy production but not house energy consumption. I do know that we used less than 400kWh month average before we had the system installed.
  • ggunn
    OK so I have some more information on the panel. The bus bar is rated at 150amp the main breaker is also 150amp. The inverter (SMA4000US) is hooked into 30amp breaker. So thats my 20% right there... even if I go to 200amp($) 20% rule will only give me 10amp for PV system add on. I think it was mentioned that I could down rate the main breaker(?) to say 125amp... wouldn't that give me 125+30=155 where 180 would be 120% of the bus bar rating so I would have another 25amp to work with. Right?

If you downsize the main breaker you run the risk of starving your loads/tripping the main. If, however, you upsized the main panel to 200A and downsized its main breaker to 150A (which is what you are using now), then you would have 90A headroom in the panel for PV.
  • Spiffster
    ggunn wrote: »
    If you downsize the main breaker you run the risk of starving your loads/tripping the main. If, however, you upsized the main panel to 200A and downsized its main breaker to 150A (which is what you are using now), then you would have 90A headroom in the panel for PV.

Yeah but Im trying to avoid the cost of updating the panel to 200amp bus/breaker. The electrician I talked to said that there was no way my house (with everything running) would draw close to 100amps which the 125 main could handle. He said he could run a "load assessment" if i wanted him to though.
  • Spiffster

OK so now that I have found a way to make the upgrade work (and have learned a great bit along the way) I need to ask another question:

Where would the 20amp breaker that the micro-inverters will need go on the panel? I understand that typically you want to install back-feed breakers on the opposite end of the bus bar as to minimize the current at any one point on the bus bar. But this should not apply in my case since the main breaker will be derated by 25amps, right?

If you look at the main breaker image from my second post you will see that there are no spare 20 amp circuits, but there is the 50amp circuit (labeled "range") that is no longer used since I now have a gas range. Can that breaker be replaced with, lets say, 2 x 20amp circuits?

Sorry, im learning but still very much a noob :confused:
  • BB.

Yes, the old circuit breakers can be removed and replaced with a different value.

You are correct that you should be able to place the 20 amp breaker elsewhere other than the bottom of the panel if you derate the main breaker from 150 amps to 125 amps.... Although, you may still have an issue trying to explain it to the inspector.

You can move breakers around the panel to optimize placement (wire lengths, etc.)... What you need to be care of is there are two hot Buses... Line A and Line B. Plus the neutral bus (which is the center tap of the transformer).

If you move breakers around--you need to make sure you do not mix up the Line A with Line B if those two hots share a common neutral.

Normally, having Line A + Line B + Neutral will give you:
    • Line A to Line B: 240 VAC
    • Line A to Neutral: 120 VAC
    • Line B to Neutral: 120 VAC
    • Line A and Line B are "oposite phase"--I.e., if you have 20 amps on Line A and 20 amps on Line B, there will be no current in the Neutral.
    If you mix up the Hots... You could end up with, for example:
    • Line A to Line A: 0 VAC (may not be an issue if all 120 VAC circuits)
    • Line A to Neutral: 120 VAC
    • Line A with 20 amp load + 2nd Line A with 20 amp load will now put 40 amps on Neutral because both "Black" and "Red" hot wires are the same phase
    I hope this makes sense--but it is an easy mistake to make if you do not pay attention to where your "hot leads" come from on the breaker box and which ones may share a common neutral.

-Bill
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    OK so now that I have found a way to make the upgrade work (and have learned a great bit along the way) I need to ask another question:

Where would the 20amp breaker that the micro-inverters will need go on the panel? I understand that typically you want to install back-feed breakers on the opposite end of the bus bar as to minimize the current at any one point on the bus bar. But this should not apply in my case since the main breaker will be derated by 25amps, right?

If you look at the main breaker image from my second post you will see that there are no spare 20 amp circuits, but there is the 50amp circuit (labeled "range") that is no longer used since I now have a gas range. Can that breaker be replaced with, lets say, 2 x 20amp circuits?

Sorry, im learning but still very much a noob :confused:

Actually I think you would be better off adding a small external breaker panel for you back feed and combine the 20 amp breakers there then add a single line to the main panel for say a 40-60 amp back feed (limited by the derated main and the bus bar size). The inspector will like it much more and the cost should be minimal. If you size the combiner correctly, you may be able to expand again in the future. Just remove the range breaker, juggle the rest of breakers in the panel and add the single back feed at the bottom to keep the inspector happy.
  • drees
    drees Solar Expert Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    solar_dave wrote: »
    Actually I think you would be better off adding a small external breaker panel for you back feed and combine the 20 amp breakers there then add a single line to the main panel for say a 40-60 amp back feed (limited by the derated main and the bus bar size). The inspector will like it much more and the cost should be minimal. If you size the combiner correctly, you may be able to expand again in the future. Just remove the range breaker, juggle the rest of breakers in the panel and add the single back feed at the bottom to keep the inspector happy.
    What solar_dave said. :D Very good suggestion here and helps keeps things tidy even though you're adding a sub-panel.
  • Spiffster

I gotta say this place has been a huge help! So I guess I will go the sub-panel route, that all sounds pretty good.

Now one (hopefully) last question. I am ordering the IronRidge mounting hardware to mount this system on a south facing garage roof. I already have the 6 240watt Kyocera panels that will be set in 3 columns and 2 rows landscape:
    ______ ______ _______
    |______|______|______|
    |______|______|______|

I went to the IronRidge website and used the "Roof Mount Configurator" tool. Said I would need the following hardware:
    4x 18' Rail
    2x 4pack Mid Clamp
    2x 4pack End Clamp
    5x 4pack Adjustable L-foot
    2x 12Pack QuickMount Composition Mount (Flashing)

Now that is all fine and well but the QuickMount stuff is gonna run me almost 500 dollars! Is this something I really need?? Why so much?

Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback.
  • drees
    drees Solar Expert Posts: 482 ✭✭✭

That does sound expensive. When I did my install 20 ProSolar 3" fast jack stanchions and 20 Oatey flashings cost about $250.
  • Spiffster

Im having a hell of a time finding an electrician that will do what I want. I have had 5 electricians visit and the all have different opinions of what should be done, none of them have heard anything about the 120% bus bar rule and think I am nuts for wanting to de-rate my main breaker. Its always "You can go with 125amp, but why would you want to do that!?" I always explain it to them and they have the same response. "That doesnt make any sense". WTF... All i want is to get my 150amp main breaker changed out with a 125amp main breaker so I can back feed another 20amps for solar. 125 + 30 + 20 = 175/180 I never get a call back with a quote, EVER. Frustrated...
  • BB.

Are you planning on doing the solar GT install (up-sized) system your self?

If you are planning on an installer--they should be able to do the work as part of your install (most need to use a licensed electrician anyway).

If you have some electrical experience and it is allowed by your local building department--it is not that difficult to do yourself (at least for the few main services I have worked on over the years.

Pull a permit (if required), pull the meter, change out the main breaker (obviously, with the approved 125 breaker for that box), check connections, plug in meter. Call for inspection and "re-seal" by the utility.

You may need to call your utility first before pulling the meter (so they don't get upset)--but the few times I had to cut the main service, I just pulled the meter, did the work, and called the utility to re-seal--no fuss.

But, I cannot figure out why the electricians will not do the quote/work. Forget the solar--just tell them you want to down size to a 125 amp main breaker. That should be a no brainer for them (don't say why you are doing it).

-Bill :confused:
  • Spiffster
    Are you planning on doing the solar GT install (up-sized) system your self?

If you are planning on an installer--they should be able to do the work as part of your install (most need to use a licensed electrician anyway).

If you have some electrical experience and it is allowed by your local building department--it is not that difficult to do yourself (at least for the few main services I have worked on over the years.

Pull a permit (if required), pull the meter, change out the main breaker (obviously, with the approved 125 breaker for that box), check connections, plug in meter. Call for inspection and "re-seal" by the utility.

You may need to call your utility first before pulling the meter (so they don't get upset)--but the few times I had to cut the main service, I just pulled the meter, did the work, and called the utility to re-seal--no fuss.

But, I cannot figure out why the electricians will not do the quote/work. Forget the solar--just tell them you want to down size to a 125 amp main breaker. That should be a no brainer for them (don't say why you are doing it).

-Bill :confused:

Well i tried to call a couple of solar installers in the area and I dont think they are interested in just installing the equipment... they want to sell and install their own stuff, cant blame them i guess. Unfortunately I dont have ANY electrical experience... im a systems admin and the only experience I have is zapping myself a few times on low voltage phone system equipment, so I prefer leave this stuff to the experts... I think I can handle mounting the system on the roof, but thats about it. I will just call out another electrician and tell him "I know this is gonna sound nuts but please replace that 150amp breaker with a 125amp one". Thanks again for your help BB!
  • BB.

Try to get your electrician interested about installing solar. You do the mechanical and he studies (you provide some help from here) and does the electrical work/permit work.

He should be interested in getting some new skills while getting paid for the job.

-Bill
  • ggunn
    Im having a hell of a time finding an electrician that will do what I want. I have had 5 electricians visit and the all have different opinions of what should be done, none of them have heard anything about the 120% bus bar rule and think I am nuts for wanting to de-rate my main breaker. Its always "You can go with 125amp, but why would you want to do that!?" I always explain it to them and they have the same response. "That doesnt make any sense". WTF... All i want is to get my 150amp main breaker changed out with a 125amp main breaker so I can back feed another 20amps for solar. 125 + 30 + 20 = 175/180 I never get a call back with a quote, EVER. Frustrated...
    Weird. These are licensed electricians who haven't heard of the 20% rule? It's in the NEC in more than one place, but refer them to 690.64(B)(2).
  • Spiffster

I think what they didnt understand was that the feedback from the solar system puts a load on the bus bar. They couldnt get their heads around how the main breaker de-rate gives me more capacity to add solar. They are stuck on the whole, smaller breaker = less capacity logic. Im no pro so perhaps I didnt explain it well. (especially since this concept is new to me too). I think I may have found 1 electrician that is willing to work with / learn more about this solar energy stuff. He just followed up with me this morning so hopefully it works out.