Kids electric car

Dapdan
Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭
Hi all,

I am pleased to report that the kids beat me to it. They have their electric car and they are loving it. I am still in the planning and waiting stages for mine, for now I will have to live vicariously. I have outfitted their ride with headlights and running lights for nocturnal visibility (you can see the toggle switch and led running lights on the second pic). I have also installed a sunguard controller to make sure the battery is not over charged. I wish I was 5yrs again so I could drive this thing :(.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Kids electric car

And they need a gas gauge! Does your controller have battery level lights ??
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Dapdan

Mike,

Nah, the controller is a basic morningstar 4.5amp controller. Totally sealed and can live outdoors. They are 4yr and 6yrs. I think the idea of no charge on the battery would matter to them they would just drive it till it stops. I like the panel so that I dont have to keep taking out the battery to charge it every night (like what I had to be doing until I installed the panel over the weekend). The panel is a 15w panel with 0.9Amp Imp. A fancy controller with leds or guages would actually cost more than the panel with cost $45 and the controller was $25. I leave it out all day to get charged and when we travel I would not have to worry about a dead battery when we return.

Cheers...
    Damani
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

But without a meter, how can you charge them road fees and taxes so they can learn about the real cost of driving :D
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Dapdan

lol, I guess I can charge them a flat rate and take it out of there piggy bank.
  • keyturbocars
    keyturbocars Solar Expert Posts: 375 ✭✭

Great idea. Looks like fun for the kids and more convenient for Dad. My kids have a small Razor electric buggy, and the young ones ride it a lot. For little kids, it sure beats noisy, gas powered karts (we've got some of those too).

Edward
  • soleil
    soleil Solar Expert Posts: 45

That's cool! I hope they don't run into anything and break the panel, though.
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

DapDan

That is almost exactly what I did to my girls Barby Jeep. I used a small controller and a panel but did not bother with lights. I am happy to report after 4-5 years it is still running great. I have not touched it they drive the heck out of it and it sets out in the snow all winter. This picture was when it was new the girls have grown a lot but still just as wild the older one is now driving my truck around here.
  • Dapdan

1/2,

That is a sweet looking ride. As they say...great minds think alike. Maybe we could start a new sport solar power kids electric car racing...maxmium speed 5mph all solar powered of course.

Cheers...
    Damani