Shipping out dry batteries

tonygcan
tonygcan Solar Expert Posts: 91 ✭✭✭✭
My forwarder refuses to ship out surette batteries presumably because of the acid and the batteries charged state.

I inquired from NAWS if they could get the batteries dry. After checking with the supplier they replied they could get them dry with 10 week lead time plus a $65 surcharge per battery.

My question is would anyone know if the batteries would be in a charged state if they come without the acid? And if they're charged does this still pose a danger during transport?

Also, upon arrival, is it just a matter of filling up the batteries with acid to make them ready for use?

Thanks.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Shipping out dry batteries

Batteries shipped dry and empty, are only hazardous if you drop on foot. Without electrolyte, they cannot produce any voltage, even if shipped "dry charged" with plates formed and then acid drained. They may still be damp inside, but little or no free flowing acid. Be sure you find out how to treat them upon arrival, what % acid to add, and I'm sure they will need some sort of charge after filling and such.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

The dry Surrettes that I've seen need 1.265 SG electrolyte added, AND then have an "activation" charge applied. This activation takes many hours, perhaps going into a second day or more, depending upon the capacity of the batteries, and the capability of the charge source.

I do not know your location, but you must not be in North America. I believe some distributors of Surrette bring in batteries dry and activate them just before delivery to the customer.

Dry batteries (in the past at least) are not deemed Hazadrous.

If you could avoid needing to find electrolyte and activate the batteries I think that you would be better off. To me, this process would seem to make you more responsible for the fate of the batteries. How would you know that the electrolyte you can find would meet Surrette's specs for purity etc.

EDIT: This is the first hit found on the Surrette Battery site:
    http://www.rollsbattery.com/content/tech-faqs#dry

YMMV Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

Why would there be a surcharge as the batteries are now easier and certainly a lot lighter to carry. And as no danger of acid spill. I think the freight cost should be less and the battery cost less as there is no supplied acid ?????:confused:
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

A note on pre-filled batteries, specifically L-16's. I have 6, and my cousin just got two. In all cases these were new batteries fresh from the factory. In all cases, before they were put in service, the acid needed to be topped up to the full mark. Mine are nearing 10 years old, so I don't remember how much they took, but my cousins, I just topped up a couple of days ago, and they each took about one litre. For anything that expensive, I definitely want them properly topped up before they're put in service. The alternative would have been to top them up with water, which would have diluted the electrolyte right from the get go.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    john p wrote: »
    Why would there be a surcharge as the batteries are now easier and certainly a lot lighter to carry. And as no danger of acid spill. I think the freight cost should be less and the battery cost less as there is no supplied acid ?????:confused:

Just the opposite here in Nova Scotia. Filled batteries are considered hazardous material that require special precautions and handling, thus a surcharge. Shipped dry, no hazard, no surcharge. The way it should be.
  • tonygcan
    tonygcan Solar Expert Posts: 91 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for all the replies and for the link. It's more clear to me now.

I guess the surcharge might be for filling the batteries and then charging and then subsequently draining the batteries to prepare for transport. Just a guess.