Xantrex Inverter Problem

simmtron
simmtron Solar Expert Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
My xantrex Freedon 458 inverter is only producing 100 volts on our motorhome. Weare in Mexico and there seems no one here that can look at it. Somedays it will go up to 110 volts for a little while. This is with the batteries fully charged. Does anyone know if there is something i could check on the inverter?(fuse, Fets etc) Could it be corrosion? Funny how it can go to 110 volts sometimes when inverter turned on, maybe once a week. This is not related to battery voltage.
System
3 - 100watt AM100 panels
HPV-22 MPPT controller
4 - t105 6 volt batteries

I tried emailing Xantrex but got no reply back. Typical.....

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Re: Xantrex Inverter Problem

Hi, I have to ask how you know that it's putting out 100 volts ?? If your measuring it with a meter that is not a TRMS Meter ( True Root Mean Squared ) you'll get a faulty read out. Usually with a Freedom series, it either puts out or it doesnt.

Just a thought.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Xantrex, as I understand, really only does support via telephone--not email.

Regarding your inverter--it is a MSW type (modified square wave) and with a standard non-True RMS reading meter, the output voltage will read low (closer to 105 volts or so) .

If you had a True RMS reading meter, then it will read approximately the correct voltage. Although, you may be seeing some reading differences depending on what loads you have connected (filament type lamp vs electric motor vs microwave, etc.).

Sine wave inverters have a higher peak voltage that the standard (inexpensive) volt meter simply divides by the square root of 2... Pefectly fine for use with TSW and utility power... But not accurate at all with non-sine wave signals. A True RMS reading meter will "do the math" and figure out the "right" RMS voltage reading when used on MSW and other wave forms.

If all your appliances are running well--then do not worry about the low reading voltage on your meter.

If you have some appliances not working well (wall wart transformers may overheat, timers may not work well, motors may overheat, battery chargers may fail)--You might wish to look at a smaller TSW (true sine wave) inverter to power those loads.

The MSW waveform is just too different from a pure sine wave (AC utility power and usually the power from a genset) to operate all appliances well.

A few links to read:

Nice web posting about inverters/generator and movie sets
    All About Inverters
    Choosing an inverter for water pumping

About 80% of appliances will work OK on MSW. And about 10% will fail on MSW inverters... It is not always easy to figure out which is work (working/failing camp).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

Good post Bill, you always give the details. I don't know what's happened with Xantrex since the Schneider Electric takeover. They really don't want field service on their mobile products any longer. The Freedom series is pretty much discontinued except for direct exchange and left over parts is my understanding from the service center guy's. The SW 2-3000 are new and already had issues and a re-call. I don't know what the future will be with them. My distributor only wants to sell me Magnum's with any kind of service agreement.
  • simmtron

Thank you Blackcherry and BB for taking the time to reply. This is interesting because all my electrical appl and electronics seem to work fine. I was worried about overheating of some products. If 105 volt is normal on a volt meter like I have great. Mine seems to read between 100 and 107 volts. I live in a community without piped in electricity. We use solar, some people use also wind for generating power here near Playa Del Carmen. A couple other peoples inverters also read around 100 watts. So that must be the meter and not a problem with the inverters. I might try and fine a RMS meter here, it would be handy.
  • simmtron

One other observation, I have 2 small inverters Modified square wave, One is a 200 watt and one is a 750 watt. The 750 watt reads 121 volts and the smaller 117 volts. Should they not read low also?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Presumably--But to a degree it depends on the output (some are pure square wave, some are square waves with "shoulders" of zero volts at the transitions, and some are much closer to sine waves).

Or, they could have "upped the output voltage" by 10-15 volts so that people with non-RMS reading meters do not call them about "low voltage" questions. Upping the RMS voltage by 10-15 volts is still barely within the input voltage range of most devices. Interesting question as the "high" peak MSW voltage is still below the true sine wave voltage peak. The RMS Sine Wave reading should be ~106-132 volts maximum (from what I have seen of "standard" North American power specs--which actually do not appear to have a true "standard" voltage rating).

Of course, MSW waveforms are not really the correct specifications any ways for AC appliances... But it still works for most of them.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • simmtron

Makes sence, upping it by 10 or 15 to stop support calls.
  • simmtron

Found a good web page that shows these readings

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/voltmeter-readings-for-inverters-85257.html
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

Attached is a little drawing I put together to explain MSW reading on an average responding AC meter.