trace DR1524

I have a trace dr1524 that I run in conjunction with a 5kva generator and a battery bank. It seems to charge fine and it works as an inverter fine but it does both at the same time! I thought this model was only meant to carry out one function at a time. There is no other power source other than the generator so the power isin't coming from a different source. It doesn't matter whether the inverter is switched on or off. I turned the breaker switch from the batteries to the inverter off while it was charging and the power remained on so it must be ac power that is coming out of the inverter when it is charging. I wired the ac end up as per the colors that were on the hardware block. Can anyone tell me what is going on?

Comments

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Re: trace DR1524

Just had a brain wave. When trace say the inverter/charger can only perform one function at a time, do they mean it will still feed 230v through from the generator while charging but won't invert 24v to 230v?
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Just had a brain wave. When trace say the inverter/charger can only perform one function at a time, do they mean it will still feed 230v through from the generator while charging but won't invert 24v to 230v?

yes, that is probably the case although i am not familiar with this inverter. if it fed the generator power only to the charger then the ac appliances won't be able to run and that would be counter productive. there isn't a need to invert if ac power is available and if they would've set it up to always invert then you'd never get to charge the batteries as it can't invert and charge at the same time. hope this makes sense as i'm a bit tired right now.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

The DR1524 is a modified sinewave inverter with isolation transformer on output.

The transformer is 24v primary connected to H-bridge MOSFET's to do the modified sinewave switching (three discrete voltages, battery, zero, reverse battery) that is transformed to an output waveform of about +155v, zero, -155v for output which is approximately 120 vrms.

There is a relay from AC input to output of transformer (also output AC socket). When AC input is present the relay closes and passes the ACin to ACout. The transformer then works in reverse to supply 24 v to be rectified and charge the batteries. The unit does syncronize the peak of the modified sinewave with the peak of ACin sinewave to allow for quick switchover when AC input power goes out without a random phase pertubation to output when inverter takes over the load. When ACin reappears the inverter control gradually slews the modified output phase back to alignment with AC input sinewave phase before reclosing the relay, again, keeping phase match between two sources to avoid a pertubation in output phase. Output is switching between a AC input sinewave and inverter modified sinewave though so you will notice buzzing in fans and possibly radios/TV's when operating on inverter.

The maximum charge rate is very dependent on supplied AC input sinewave voltage so watch out for low AC voltage from a generator. This is explained in the manual.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

And this is the reason certain people loved the SW and now the XW because they can load share and charge and invert in certain cases like deep well pump surges. This also allows them not to have the larger generator for surges.

The DR has been replaced by the TR BTW.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net