Warnings About Chinese Anhui Hummer Wind Turbines

hello i'm from india.

i had very bad experiences with Anhui Hummer wind turbine. i had lost too much money. Their turbines have all sorts of problems.

i had installed 8 units of 500 watt. 3 of them are broken, 4 of the generators are burnt. Last one is not produce anything.

Also i installed 3 units of 1kw and they arent working now.

i had heard that their bigger products have other issues ...

i dont understand how those chinese turbine manufacturers are still selling those turbines.

To sum up, stand away , beware of Anhui Hummer Turbine products..

Do you ever buy Hummer and what are your experiences?

thank you

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Warnings About Chinese Anhui Hummer Wind Turbines

welcome to the forum. i'm sorry to hear of your misfortune and thanks for letting others know of your bad experience with them as hopefully they can avoid the same misfortune. we don't hear of too many good turbines out there and we have been advising that for the money solar is the better investment. i'm sure there are some bad pv companies in china too, but there seems to be some that may be of quality as well so do some homework before buying.
  • keyturbocars
    keyturbocars Solar Expert Posts: 375 ✭✭

windyboyindia,

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the wind turbines. I can relate to your frustrations. I also had a 2kW Chinese wind turbine that had many troubles and finally failed. I also find it hard to believe that some of these wind turbine companies can continue selling these junk products when they know that they do not work properly.

The only Chinese wind turbine company that I know about that produces good quality wind turbines is HY Energy company. I have one of the HY-2000 wind turbines, and I know of other people that have had good experiences with other HY Energy wind turbines. When I have requested detailed data from the factory on their wind turbines, they have always provided what I needed. They are very professional. They have done a lot of research & design and testing of their products. I am very impressed with their company. They produce the only Chinese wind turbines that I've seen consistent positive feedback about.

I noticed that they are changing their website and the portion in "English" is not done yet.

http://www.hyenergy.com.cn/

I wish all the other Chinese factories that are producing junk wind turbines would go out of business, but I'm afraid that won't happen and they will continue to sell their poor quality products. People will continue to buy them for the low price appeal, but in the end they are very expensive... wasting a lot of time, money, and energy because of their defective designs and poor quality workmanship.

Edward
  • MisterB
    MisterB Solar Expert Posts: 156 ✭✭

Interesting to see the HY website. The specs are a bit more honest than the ones that came with my turbine which is, as the factory site says, basically a 400 watt turbine and not a 500-600 watt turbine which is what it was sold as in the US. The photos of installations in China were interesting.

The HY turbines are well made. I don't have experience with other Chinese brands but if they are available in India, I would also recomend them. My main problem with my 3 blade HY5/HY400 has been a dropping off of power as wind speeds get to around 20 mph. This has turned out to be caused by a bit of over engineering. This is from the description of my turbine:

2. Blade aerodynamic braking:
    In high wind speed conditions, patent pending blades will generate a reverse reluctance torque, so that the blade efficiency falls and the blade rotation speed starts to decline. With the continuing reluctance torque, blade rotation speed is limited to a certain range to prevent damage to the wind turbine blades.

This is supposed to happen at around 30mph but it starts at around 20mph and the effect is that the turbine turns away from the wind and slows down. The wind pattern here is very gusty and the wind speed will surge 8 to 10mph which is part of the problem and just when the turbine should really start cranking, the current is limited by the aerodynamic braking. I can't complain about the quality of the turbine due to this because it makes it a much safer turbine and it is really clever engineering that creates a mechanical furling just by the aerodynamic properties of the rotor. It just needs to be tweaked a little and I haven't heard of it happening with other HY turbines.

My turbines low wind speed performance is excellent and I start to get a trickle charge of .5-2 amps at around 7-10mph and 3-7 amps at 10-16mph
  • keyturbocars

MisterB,

Perhaps that rotor/blade kit from Missouri wind might help eliminate that.

I agree that the HY Energy factory is very honest about their turbine ratings. My HY-2000 has put out well over 3kW. Now, this requires strong winds (30+mph), but even so I am impressed with the honesty of their ratings and the quality of their turbines.

Edward
  • ahaji
    ahaji Registered Users Posts: 9

Dear Friend

How could this happen?I have used Hummer since 2008.I am now doing wind turbine in Johannesburg now .The feed back from clients is very well.Do you have contact Hummer since the problems occurs .I believe Hummer after-sales team will help you to solve it .
    :blush::D
    good luck ,my friend!
  • ahaji

I saw a lots of guys mentioned HY ?Are there all working for HY or somthing?I really feel sorry about their behavior
  • keyturbocars
    ahaji wrote: »
    I saw a lots of guys mentioned HY ?But so far as i know the factory is nearly go bankrupt due to endless claim from their clients.

Are you sure you are talking about HY Energy (Guangzhou Hongying Energy Technology Co)?
    http://www.hyenergy.com.cn/index.aspx?language=en

I have read about several different people who have HY turbines, and I have never even heard of a single failure of any of the HY turbines. I wonder how there could be so many claims, but there is no mention of problems by anyone online?

Just curious where you got this information, and I wonder if you are referring to a different wind turbine company.

My HY-2000 continues to work great!

Edward
  • ahaji
    Are you sure you are talking about HY Energy (Guangzhou Hongying Energy Technology Co)?

I have read about several different people who have HY turbines, and I have never even heard of a single failure of any of the HY turbines. I wonder how there could be so many claims, but there is no mention of problems by anyone online?

Just curious where you got this information, and I wonder if you are referring to a different wind turbine company.

My HY-2000 continues to work great!

Edward

???????????Where are you ,buddy?Are you working in HY?
  • keyturbocars
    ???????????Where are you ,buddy?Are you working in HY?

Where are you, buddy???????? :roll: Actually, I was wondering if you worked for Hummer or some other company that had an interest in creating negative rumors against HY Energy.

I've owned a HY-2000 turbine for a while now, and I have had a positive experience with mine. I did a lot of research on them and ran across several other people that own them (some on this forum), and I have never heard of a failure or major problem. Not even one. Of course, as with any product, I would expect that there would be a failure some time. I just haven't run across a single one yet, so that's why I find your claim to be a little hard to believe.

So, why don't you back up what you stated about HY going bankrupt because of all the claims. Show us some facts and proof to back up your statement that there are so many claims against HY turbines. I am very interested.

Edward
  • niel

ahaji,
    i would like to see that proof from you too. you imply keyturbocars to be a company plant of some sort, but remember i can see where you are so keep it real and keep it honest.
  • ahaji

Now i am sure you are working in HY!!!
    I still rember in 2009 one of my friend in New jersy bought HY wind turbine
    to test in American and ask for UL .but it failed at the final.As the data collect from the office is horrible.Then i told my friend to buy Hummer wind turbine .The result is Hummer pass it very easily.
    We are here to finding good supplier,make new friend.Not fighting each other.I am really disappointed for the words from you and your company.Why your chinese like hiding something?
    But you must remeber fact is the fact !!!!!
    Brother ,if you really want to make advertisement for HY,why not choose some TV promotion?I know you are good at it !:D:D:D
  • niel

ahaji,
    who are you talking to in this manner?
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭

Sounds to me like ahaji is a PR man for Hummer?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

close and delete the thread ? or at least disable the auto links in it?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

My personal opinion here (not as moderator).

Everyone here has some, personally chosen, level of anonymity here. And we (moderators/NAWS) will not release email addresses of people from their registration to "prove" or disprove identity and/or claims.

I have no reason to assume that KTC or ahaji are anyone other than who they claim to be. And are either happy or unhappy with the products they have purchased.

Please avoid "attacking the poster" and, instead, address the content of the posts.

And remember, not every vendor has a 100% happy customer base (although, there appear to be vendors with close to 100% unhappy customer bases--and they are still in business).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel

he probably won't post until the wee morning hours for the states because normal working hours where he is would be about that time. if he thinks he's going to pressure anybody here with unfounded insinuations, be it of products or people, it will backfire. i would like to see his responses here to the question of proofs and just who he was saying what to.

i may just let the thread stand so it reminds anybody who not to deal with, but the jury is still out with him as attacking posters is against the rules. we'll see.
  • keyturbocars

Hello Ahaji,

I think you forgot something...

Where is the proof to back up your statement that HY is going bankrupt because of all the "claims"?

Initially, I thought maybe you were confused about which factory is which, so that's why I posted a link to the HY Energy factory website in an earlier post. No, I do not live in China, and I do not work for HY. I have no connection with them whatsoever other than being a satisfied customer. I am just interested in the facts, so when someone makes questionable claims that are contrary to what I have seen, then I am inclined to question it. I think that you will find that the people on this forum are interestd in facts (and the proof to back it up).

Best Regards,

Edward

PS. Thanks Neil for keeping an eye on this thread.
  • ahaji

I saw a lots of guys mentioned HY ?why so many people mentioned HY here ?An AD ?.
  • ahaji
    hello ahaji,

i think you forgot something...

Where is the proof to back up your statement that hy is going bankrupt because of all the "claims"?

Initially, i thought maybe you were confused about which factory is which, so that's why i posted a link to the hy energy factory website in an earlier post. No, i do not live in china, and i do not work for hy. I have no connection with them whatsoever other than being a satisfied customer. I am just interested in the facts, so when someone makes questionable claims that are contrary to what i have seen, then i am inclined to question it. I think that you will find that the people on this forum are interestd in facts (and the proof to back it up).

Best regards,

edward

ps. Thanks neil for keeping an eye on this thread.

fact is the fact!that is the only word i want to say!
    God bless you!
  • ahaji
    BB. wrote: »
    My personal opinion here (not as moderator).

Everyone here has some, personally chosen, level of anonymity here. And we (moderators/NAWS) will not release email addresses of people from their registration to "prove" or disprove identity and/or claims.

I have no reason to assume that KTC or ahaji are anyone other than who they claim to be. And are either happy or unhappy with the products they have purchased.

Please avoid "attacking the poster" and, instead, address the content of the posts.

And remember, not every vendor has a 100% happy customer base (although, there appear to be vendors with close to 100% unhappy customer bases--and they are still in business).

-Bill
    Thank you very much Bill !
    Just let the market tell the truth !I am a businessman ,i do believe In our world, not only do we have variability, we've got unpredictability. Every factory shall focus on improvement ,not endless attacks or rumors!
  • BB.

ahaji,

One guy here likes them and suggested that others look at the company's product.

Got the fact you don't like them (based on friend's experiences) and you suggest that people look look elsewhere.

Pretty much it--Right?

Let the thread die if there is no further information.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

I have said this before but I think it is worth repeating:---

Every person reading these posts on here and on other sites must always consider the possibility that any person who posts claims either a product is good or bad or a company is good or bad may have some vested interest in his statements.

It mabe he/she/it has either a relative a friend or a business partner and is being offered some reward for his statements,

It mabe one of the above has a competing business to the one he/she/it is complaining about or If he/she/it is saying what a wonderful company they are or how great the product then it mabe because he/she/it has either a relative a friend a business partner of is being offered some reward for his statements

It could also be a disgruntled past employee of a company and they are wanting to "get back" at that business.

Also try to see if the person making any claims has any real proof to back up those claims

The "I know lots that bought the product and they said it was great/super useful/disgusting /useless / best thing since bagpipes were invented are just not valid proof of anything"
  • keyturbocars
    I saw a lots of guys mentioned HY ?why so many people mentioned HY here ?An AD ?.

Because some of us on this forum actually own HY wind turbines. Just for fun, I looked at an older thread and found out that these forum members own HY turbines. I gleaned that from this old thread: http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=9466

BajaGringo - HY-400
    Wally - HY-1000
    MisterB - HY-400
    dagelt - (3) HY-3000's
    windwatts1 - HY-1000, HY-400, HY-600
    keyturbocars (me) - HY-2000

So, that's 10 HY turbines... and that's just from people that have been on this forum. When you have a number of people that actually own a product, then you will have people discussing it. As they say, a product speaks for itself. That is true for junk products and also good products. The internet (and forums like this) are a great resource! Sooner or later, the truth will come out about whether a product is good or bad.

Wind power is a treacherous area for most people to tread. I was burned by a cheap Chinese junk wind turbine. Now, I have been pleasantly surprised by my HY-2000 turbine. I'm not the only one. For most people, I'd say stay away from wind power unless you live in a very good wind area (most people do not). Also stay away from wind power if you are not mechanically or electrically inclined. Definitely stay away from most JUNK Chinese wind turbines. The only exception I have ever seen so far in this is HY Energy turbines. There may be others from China that are decent. I don't know. Most are probably junk.

I did a quick Google search and found more horror stories about Hummer turbines on the internet that are consistent with what windboyindia shared when he first started this thread.

The moral of this story is BUYER BEWARE. Do your homework! Don't trust any one person's word on it! Don't take my word for it. Look for what the "collective voice" is saying out there. It's your hard earned money, so be very careful how you spend it.

Most people who are interested in alternative energy would probably be much happier with solar, I suspect. If you truly live in a great wind area, you are the right type of person for wind, and you make a good choice... then you might be the exception to that general rule. Solar is tried and true. Wind power is filled with many more uncertainties.

Edward
  • ahaji

in 2009 one of my friend in New jersy bought HY wind turbine
    to test in American and ask for UL .but it failed at the final.As the data collect from the office is horrible.Then i told my friend to buy Hummer wind turbine .The result is Hummer pass it very easily.
    Why so many people on line like to waste most of their time to attacks others ??
  • ahaji

i suddenly realised a problem,is HY stand for that company?http://www.hywindgenerator.com
  • BB.

ahaji,

Yes, that happens--Large country, Chinese names that get shortened/picked for use in other countries--End up with same/similar English names.

http://www.hywindgenerator.com/

Thank you for posting the link of another "HY" wind turbine company posted by Edward (unrelated to the the other HY Energy Co -- I presume).

Even in the US--My wife finds it difficult to equate the English Name and Chinese Name of various businesses out here--Even many small shops/restaurants seem to have no connection between English/Chinese language naming.

Because there is always the chance for confusion--that is why we always ask people to post links to companies/information to help clarify what each of us is talking about.

-Bill
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭

The other HY energy turbine looks as if it's an exmork:
    http://www.hywindgenerator.com/wind-turbine/395596.html

and
    http://www.exmork.com/10kw-wind-turbine.htm

Their other models also look like exmork turbines but with a different tail section. Well, I say they look like exmork, it could be the other way around, or both them and exmork could source the parts from the same manufacturer...

Untangling chinese turbine manufacturers from each other could be a new family board game.
  • keyturbocars
    i suddenly realised a problem,is HY stand for that company?http://www.hywindgenerator.com

Ahaji,

That is not the HY Energy company that I have been referring to all along. I wondered if there was some confusion. That is why I posted the full company name and a link earlier in this thread. Not because I work for them or I am advertising for them. I was just hoping it would clear up some confusion. Thanks Bill, for reposting that link to the HY Energy website.

The odd thing is that the other company's full name is Senwei Energy Technology Inc. I don't know how they get "hywindgenerator" as their web address from that. Sure looks fishy... like they are trying to trick people so they can benefit from the true HY Energy reputation.

Edward
  • DaveC
    DaveC Registered Users Posts: 1

I see this thread is getting on now but anyway ....
    I can't comment on the very small Hummer turbines but blimey what do you expect for the cost anyway! I have a 5kW Hummer hooked up to an SMA Windyboy 6000. I went down this track after a lot of research into Chinese turbines. The 5 Kw unit is very sophisticated for its price. It has a Siemens PLC keeping track of numerous inputs and will dump into a giant toaster using an IGBT to control max power output and going over speed. It is built like a a brick ....house!
    Support is a bit limited in that they don't want to divulge too much tech info - I think Hummer are worried that I might go into competition and manufacture my own ( right ) there is some language issue from time to time but their English is much better than my Chinese. Parts are available.
    I haven't had a great time with my generator however but not because of the generator itself but because of the noise. The generator itself is fine but the tower - an 8 mm thick freestanding unit - amplifies the sound a lot. I gather this is not uncommon having read about neighbours of the Skystream gen too.
    If you have a good windy site ( and if you don't have much sun ) where noise isn't a concern I would consider a Hummer.
    Installing a wind generator is a very complex task. It also requires a proper site assessment first. Nobody installs solar panels in a basement but people do install wind generators in very unsuitable positions and get no performance duh! In the right place a wind generator can be very worthwhile. I would be very careful about speed control systems. If the blades change their pitch using centripetal force any sticking results in Newtons laws being reconfirmed - a large bang and bits all over the joint. I would say get a HAWT too. I understand. the theory behind VAWTS it's just that I have yet to see a successful installation of one.
    Anyway I just hoped to put a bit of rational discussion into what seemed to be a general slagging of all Hummer products.
    Dave
    I'm a Physics teacher in OZ btw
  • keyturbocars

Dave, Thanks for sharing your experience.