Adding Outback FM60 to Xantrex system

Options
deacon
deacon Solar Expert Posts: 33
I bought a Xantrex XW4024 thinking It was going to fill my needs with Grid support. Long story short I can't use it for that. I have an existing Outback FM60 from my off grid system that I would like to add to my Xantrex XW system which will now be off grid. My whole system is now off grid.
I have (6) ROLLSBATTERY 12 CS 11P 375 amp hour batteries arriving shortly. ( back ordered 90 days). I plan on wiring then in series parallel for 1075 AH @ 24 volts.
My current system is 10 Sharp 80 watt panels, XW SCC, and XW4024 inverter. The 800 watts from the PV will not be sufficient for the batteries. I plan on adding another 10 Sharp panels to the XW SCC for a total of 1600 watts.
I would like to have another 1600 watt PV array imputed to an Outback FM60 that I already have. That would provide 3200 watts, derated I would expect to get 2464 in true power. That seems like enough for the Rolls battery bank.
My question to the experts is: Is there a problem integrating this Outback FM60 non Xantrex SCC to the Xantrex system.
Some notes: This is my first Solar powered project.
I am very pleased so far with the 10 Sharp 80 WT panels, On good sunny days I have harvested 4.8 KW.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Adding Outback FM60 to Xantrex system
    deacon wrote: »
    .....provide 3200 watts, derated I would expect to get 2464 in true power. That seems like enough for the Rolls battery bank.
    My question to the experts is: Is there a problem integrating this Outback FM60 non Xantrex SCC to the Xantrex system......

The batteries would like to see 107 amps for charging, to keep the electrolyte stirred up, your 2464 watts, at 28V charging voltage, is only 88A. Close, but is it close enough ? Maybe.

No problem adding several (PV & controller) & (PV & controller) & (PV & controller) to a system, as the batteries fill up, individual controllers, depending on their internal calibration, will drop off charging one by one. Won't be perfect, but should be good enough.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Define "integrate".
    Will the OB be able to charge the batteries for a system running a Xantrex inverter? Yes.
    But there will be no "communication" between the two; no sharing of settings and data like battery temp. This is really only an issue when you're using the inverter's built-in charger in supplement to the solar. No big deal.

Your 1075 Amp hours of battery @ 24 Volts would want at least 50 Amps of current for charging. 100 Amps would be better, especially with loads drawing while your trying to recharge. That's pretty much peak or beyond the MX60's current limit. Frankly, that battery bank would be "happy" with about 3600 Watts of panel. At 3200 Watts you're into "marginal" territory, in my opinion.

So the million dollar question is: do you need 1075 Amp hours @ 24 Volts (25.8 kW hours)?
    That's a lot of power.
  • deacon
    Options

Thanks for the replies. The XW4024 will be supplementing the charger needs of the batter bank until I increase the PV size. Eventually I would like to have a 5 KW system. The XW4020 has a 240V input at my barn so I know it's not economically efficient but Iit will protect my Rolls batteries untill I have upgraded my Array size.
    You mention it will not be a problem unless I am using the Inverter charger. I plan on doing this at night when the SCC are asleep. Do you still see a problem charging from the XW4024 at night?
    And by integrating the Outback FM60 I meant functionaly not in a networking sense.
    Thanks Again
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

The only problem excluding data sharing is having to set charge points manually on both devices, and needing temperature sensing for both if you want accurate charging. Otherwise, bulking up via generator and allowing the panels to do the "finish" charging is as good as anything.

As for charging via generator at night ... who wants to run a generator at night? And remember it requires a 240 VAC gen, so quiet little Hondas are out (unless you use a step-up transformer). You'll need gen with fairly sizable capacity of you want to use the full current ability of the XW - I think it's capable of 80 Amps. So that's something around 3kW or more if loads will be on at the same time.
  • deacon
    Options

Thanks again.
    Although I have a 6KW genset, the charging from the XW4024 will be done from the grid. I have a grid line going down to the barn to the XW4024 with the input of 240 V. This is my temp solution until I increase my PV array size.

Edit: The OutbackFm60, as well as the XW4020, and the XW SCC al lhave temp sensors.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

All should be well, then.

Albeit people will wonder why you're installing a battery-based solar power system when you have utility available.
  • Joe_B
    Joe_B Solar Expert Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Deacon,

I hope the last thread didn't derail your plans.

BTW, the XW4024 has a 150 amp grid charger.

Joe
  • deacon
    Options
    All should be well, then.

Albeit people will wonder why you're installing a battery-based solar power system when you have utility available.

I am preparing for what I believe will be a bumpy ride in the future of this country and the world. I am also stocking up on food supplies and other long term items in the event of an economic or social disaster.
    My system had to be able to supply 240 for my well pump. (tested it and works fine)
    It might sound crazy to you but I consider it insurance.
    I have paid home owner insurance and car insurance for over 30 years and have never placed a claim.
    At least with the solar I will actually be getting some benefit even if the future is bright and cheery.
    This is a great forum with lots of helpful Folks.
    Thanks, and I am sure I will have more questions in the future.