Options
2»

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: solar clothes dryer
    russ wrote: »
    Right guys - I don't think you have ever seen the slums she is talking about.

This is one of the country club type of things where everyone has a couple glasses of good wine - says some wonderful things and goes home congratulating themselves.

There is normally sewage running in the walkways
    There is very little sunlight gets gown to ground level
    The building code is using any old stick or piece of plastic you can lay your hands on
    Anything left laying out of sight will magically relocate itself to another shelter

Russ

I know what you mean.
    Until you've seen this depth of poverty you can't imagine it. It's like some post-apocalyptic horror movie come to life. The first impression you get is of utter hopelessness. After that, it gets worse.

But not all such slums are lacking in heat or light - that would be mainly the city ones (see the other side of Rio some time). There are many impoverished settlements in Central America and Africa (no doubt other areas as well) which could benefit from a bit of simple solar technology.

The question is; what charity do you trust?
    And that's not what this forum is about. All we can do is offer answers to the solar questions asked. After that it's beyond our control.
  • SteveK
    SteveK Solar Expert Posts: 387 ✭✭
    Options

I wonder if centrifugal force could take it to a point where air drying inside is doable. Or pressing the moisture out with the use of rollers and pressure

Hand or foot cranking a ten speed bike type setup.. That should throw that water right out of there, no? Attach to bike rim, shift up in ratio and burn some calories to boot.... I'm not so sure it needs to be "bone dry" immediately anyways?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've used the "helicopter" method to dry things (underwear, bluetooth headsets) put the item in a secure mesh bag, tie a heavy string 6' long, and whirl overhead for a minute. Dry, or nearly so.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• SteveK
    SteveK Solar Expert Posts: 387 ✭✭
    Options

Yes like that Mike. I think this problem is best solved mechanically instead of 100% heat/evap.

How about vacuum? Suction it out with a foot pump and check valved bellows? Beat your man on the head with it? Think rinsed wet paint roller drying...momentum meets standing object....the shock drives the moisture from it? Stand on end for an hour to let the water migrate downward then smack it out....

As a matter of fact, any other way but mechanical would be simply disgusting.....
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

solar_panel.jpg

from_shop.jpg
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭
    Options

It will never work!:p
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mn2mx wrote: »

So how are the strings connected to the PV panel :D

half hitch ? bowline ? taut-line hitch ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

it is difficult to tell by the pic, but i don't think the clothes line is going to the pole for the pvs as that seems more distant.

good to hear from a ham from mexico.:D8)