BZ MPPT500 upgrade

Peter_V
Peter_V Solar Expert Posts: 226 ✭✭✭
I just found out that BZ offers a Hardware and Firmware upgrade for the older MPPT500 charge controllers. The upgrade costs $40 which includes return shipping.

Does anyone know if this upgrade makes a significant improvement? Is it worth $40?

FWIW My MPPT500 isn't doing as well as I thought it was. I recently checked the input/output current with a Fluke 87V and the input current displayed on the MPPT500 was lower than measured and the output current displayed was higher, making it look like it was making a big difference.

Anyway, I've been contemplating replacing the MPPT500, but I need a controller than can handle at least 20 amps into a 24V battery with an array Voc of at least 75V and max power point of around 60V. The alternatives I've found are usually overkill and fairly expensive.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: BZ MPPT500 upgrade

look at it this way,
    they sold junk in the first place and if they really wanted to improve it or make it right that they would owe it to their customers to do so for free. it sounds like a last ditch effort to take advantage of those that they already screwed over.

this old saying pops into my head right now,
    fool me once, shame on you.
    fool me twice, shame on me.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've heard that a length of coathanger wire is an upgrade for BZ.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Peter_V wrote: »
    Anyway, I've been contemplating replacing the MPPT500, but I need a controller than can handle at least 20 amps into a 24V battery with an array Voc of at least 75V and max power point of around 60V. The alternatives I've found are usually overkill and fairly expensive.

Is it overkill to have a controller that works as opposed to one that doesn't?

Can't imagine anything BZ does now would make up for what they have done. The company is irrevocably tainted, in my opinion. I wouldn't trust their upgrade. I certainly wouldn't pay for it.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

For smaller "higher voltage" MPPT controllers... You are kind of left with the MorningStar 15 amp MPPT and the TS 45 amp MPPT controller.

Neither is going to be a cheap solution.

Personally, I would call Marc at www.roguepowertech.com and ask about his new controller due out this month.

His last generation of 30 amp 12/24 volt MPPT controller was a very solid product at a good price... However, the last model did not handle over ~Vmp=35 volts on the panel input.

Perhaps his next generation will?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Peter_V
    Peter_V Solar Expert Posts: 226 ✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    For smaller "higher voltage" MPPT controllers... You are kind of left with the MorningStar 15 amp MPPT and the TS 45 amp MPPT controller.

Neither is going to be a cheap solution.

Personally, I would call Marc at www.roguepowertech.com and ask about his new controller due out this month.

His last generation of 30 amp 12/24 volt MPPT controller was a very solid product at a good price... However, the last model did not handle over ~Vmp=35 volts on the panel input.

Perhaps his next generation will?

-Bill

15 Amp won't cut it, I need at least 20.

I was very interested in the Rogue, until I read about it's Voc limit. My panel probably goes over 75V Voc on cold days and supposedly that will destroy the Rogue.

I posted on the Rogue thread asking if the new one will support a higher Voc, but didn't get any response. I guess I can try emailing him to find out.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

I would not use a BZp product as a gift, given it's history!
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

Tony,
    Perhaps they could upgrade yours with an eye hook. You could then attach a rope and throw it at any beavers gnawing on the birches around the house.

What else? A weight for tossing a rope over tree branches..then haul up your food keeping it away from bears.

??

Ralph
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

icarus,
    is it heavy enough to anchor your boat?:cool:
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Not really,

Try as I might I can't think of anything to do with it! (and it was a gift!)

Tony