What features you would like added to your charge controller?

bobdog
bobdog Solar Expert Posts: 192 ✭✭
Taken from another thread, I thought this might be a good idea. Everyone step up and add the things you think would be in the "perfect" charge controller.

Any takers?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
    Re: What features you would like added to your charge controller?

ATM :p

Otherwise, an integrated battery monitor which makes charging decisions based on actual current flow into/out of battery bank (and estimated battery state of charge--But too much smarts can be a big problem too. Self learning/correcting algorithms seem to eventually confuse themselves instead of learning/improving).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭

When the battery reaches float, redirect the extra power to a diversion load.

Some currently have a relay, I am talking about an analog output, up to the full current rating of the CC.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

integral metering, the controller already knows the voltage, so just display it. $100 for a meter, come on morningstar.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• XRinger
    XRinger Solar Expert Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    n3qik wrote: »
    When the battery reaches float, redirect the extra power to a diversion load.

Some currently have a relay, I am talking about an analog output, up to the full current rating of the CC.

I'll second that one..

I have a TriStar TS-45 (PWM) configured as a charger.
    It sure would be nice to have any kind of output to turn on a diversion load.

It seems like it would have been simple and cheap to add that function.
    Maybe I missed something in the manual. Or maybe there is a mod..?.
  • samitrix
    samitrix Registered Users Posts: 20

i guess that 'other thread' would be my thread? lol ;)
    you know, i would really appreciate very simple functions on a charge controller:
    1. adjustable LVD settings so that we can set DoD% precisely and freely
    2. display DoD% so that we know how much we have used and how much more we can use.
    there should be some algorithm that can interpret V into DoD %.

i know i can get a battery monitor and such but having all in a charge controller will be the most 'sexy' charge controller ever!!!! 8):cool:
  • petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

As my system is used mainly in weekends. May-bee, input or switch to change from at home using the system daily and an away setting for the 7 to 21 days that the system sits there on idle.What comes to mind would be changing the absorb time with the 2 settings?
    Regards
    Peter
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • petertearai

And a usb port to provide any software upgrades,and connect a lap top to download the stats and settings. The usb port could also be used to program the controller via a simple windows type interface.
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • samitrix
    samitrix Registered Users Posts: 20
    And a usb port to provide any software upgrades,and connect a lap top to download the stats and settings. The usb port could also be used to program the controller via a simple windows type interface.

well today is your lucky day my friend! your prayers have been answered by Phocos. check out their CXN10-1.1. well i guess my wishes are granted as well. I wanted a programmable LVD and this CXN stuff has both! a USB interface to set different LVDs and has a 1 year data logger! the charge controller itself is about 6,000yen and the PC interface kit is 5,400yen.
    wuddya reckon?:roll:
  • petertearai
    samitrix wrote: »
    well today is your lucky day my friend! your prayers have been answered by Phocos. check out their CXN10-1.1. well i guess my wishes are granted as well. I wanted a programmable LVD and this CXN stuff has both! a USB interface to set different LVDs and has a 1 year data logger! the charge controller itself is about 6,000yen and the PC interface kit is 5,400yen.
    wuddya reckon?:roll:

But I have never heard of them.
    Still may well be good units but.............. Reliable? Any reviews. etc.
    And not max power point tracking .
  • petertearai

Looks the midnight has lots of features also.
  • TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭

I'd really enjoy a display like the Enphase modules available via internet as well as other monitoring so I know whats going on while I am not home. 2nd best option would be as stated before, something that turns on a diversion load after my batteries are all charged!:D
  • XRinger

I've been looking into building a DIY voltage level detector, that I can use to drive a SSR (Solid State Relay).
    The SSR would be in series with the AC output of my inverter, and connect it to the load(s).

I have not seen any plain old level detector kits or boards for sale that are suitable.
    A good one would be compatible with 12, 24 & 48v battery banks.

~~~

One other idea that I'm thinking about for load controlling, is to use the charge Controller's PC interface, connected to an old Notebook PC.
    Use software to determine if the charger was in float mode and what the bank voltage was.
    Have the PC send commands to some AC power controller device, like SSRs
    or use X-10 relay contacts to control larger relays. http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220593111723

929123.jpg
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭

I'd like to see 2 different charge settings. E.g. daily charge settings for absorb and float voltage and another set of settings for once every X days.
    So I could do a longer absorb once a week, or absorb at a higher voltage to do a mini-EQ charge weekly.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    XRinger wrote: »
    I've been looking into building a DIY voltage level detector, that I can use to drive a SSR (Solid State Relay).
    The SSR would be in series with the AC output of my inverter, and connect it to the load(s).

I have not seen any plain old level detector kits or boards for sale that are suitable.
    A good one would be compatible with 12, 24 & 48v battery banks.

~~~

One other idea that I'm thinking about for load controlling, is to use the charge Controller's PC interface, connected to an old Notebook PC.
    Use software to determine if the charger was in float mode and what the bank voltage was.
    Have the PC send commands to some AC power controller device, like SSRs
    or use X-10 relay contacts to control larger relays. http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220593111723

929123.jpg

There already is the aux output right???
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Dave Angelini

The problem with using AUX output (DC) to control AC loads is it is not as clean as the inverter having the intelligence built in. The next generation of inverter/chargers will (I am hoping) have this. A cloud that interupts input power can cause the inverter to temporarily reduce the load to prevent taking a battery system out of float. This can be done but it will require the appliances communicate with their source. This will avoid hard kills of power to appliances which some do not like often.

It is not that far away.

The same logic with your heat pump running from grid power.

• XRinger
    There already is the aux output right???

There is no aux output on my TS-45 (PWM) charge controller.
    But, it can be configured as a dump load controller, I think..
  • Dave Angelini
    XRinger wrote: »
    There is no aux output on my TS-45 (PWM) charge controller.
    But, it can be configured as a dump load controller, I think..

well, you should buy the next model up, good for the economy and all...
    All the major makes of controllers have aux outputs BTW

• vcallaway
    vcallaway Solar Expert Posts: 157 ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing about X10 stuff is that it requires pure sinewave or they smoke.

Go ahead, ask me how I know :blush:
  • XRinger
    well, you should buy the next model up, good for the economy and all...
    All the major makes of controllers have aux outputs BTW

That would be the MPPT 45 amp model..
    Morningstar TriStar TS-MPPT-45 Charge Controller $ 469.00
    Morningstar TriStar TS-45 Charge Controller , 45 amp $ 169.40 (mine was $133.98 ).

And I'm not sure if the MPPT-45 has aux out.Don't see one. I think it's a lot like mine!

Since I can buy a 200w PV for about $300, buying the MPPT model
    for a simple back-up system, just didn't seem smart..

Anyways, I'm working on a little board that will monitor one battery in the bank,
    and switch on a dump-load, at the selected voltage.
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/showpost.php?p=80943&postcount=33
    It's almost free and it's fun to DIY, IF it works out.. :roll:
  • XRinger
    vcallaway wrote: »
    One thing about X10 stuff is that it requires pure sinewave or they smoke.

Go ahead, ask me how I know :blush:

I have three AC circuits in my house that I can switch to back-up power.
    I would not try to run X-10 stuff on them, since they would be
    electrically isolated from the X-10 controller signals. No signals..
    The controller is plugged in to a grid-only outlet.
  • petertearai

Discovered my outback fm80 essentially has one of the features I want .
    One of my concerns was the system sitting for 1 to 3 weeks with no use.
    I thought if I set an absorb time then I could not use end amps.However it would seem that say, if I have an absorb time of say3 hours and an end amps of 10 amps, if it gets to 10 amps then the absorb will stop even if the 3 hours time wasn't up.

I will now play with the end amp settings.!