Xantrex is now Schneider Electric

Options

Comments

• Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Xantrex is now Schneider Electric

We see that a lot in large corporate forums. Someone decides they should have one, so they point at some guy to do it. Then a month later they decide he is spending too much time on it, or they transfer or fire him etc etc.

So then it sits there abandoned - often nobody even knows the admin password anymore - and collects tons of spam, which makes them really look like they are clueless.

Better to have no forum than one that totally sucks like that one does.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options

I've pointed this out to my contacts, The Xantrex site will either be locked or shutdown soon, I believe they intend to have a forum under the new corporate brand.

Xanman will be looking for a new forum soon.
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've had similar discussions recently.

Stay tuned!
    Jim / crewzer
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

For me, the X forum is not available. Perhaps it was my sarcastic post yesterday ... perhaps I just forgot my password. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Windsun
    Options

I have to wonder who's idea it was to move all the RE info for Xantrex to the Schneider website, where it is almost impossible to find anything unless you know exactly what you are looking for.

The forum at the Xantrex site was a joke, but the website itself is one of the better ones among manufacturers (Schneider is one of the worst). If you go to the Schneider website, lottsa luck on finding out any info about their new GT inverters.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Frankly, I have been simply doing a Google Search:
    • thing to search for site:xantex.com
    At this point, all of the stuff we know and love is still at Xantrex.com -- Heaven help us when it "goes away".

By the way, the Xantrex.com redirects do not work for me running Firefox... :roll:

Get rid of the Flash and just put the $%& LINKS UP.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The old Xantrex drug-infested forum now asks me for a login and password that I do not know.

boB
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Vic wrote: »
    For me, the X forum is not available. Perhaps it was my sarcastic post yesterday ... perhaps I just forgot my password. Vic

Gone for me too. Can't even access the xantrex site, just re-directs to the Schneider ...
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Try this one.

Product listings and info are still here.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • Windsun
    Options

The Xantrex site is still there, but it does not look like they are updating it.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    crewzer wrote: »
    Ryan,

It's on my "list". No quick-fix promises, though...

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer

How's the status of their forum ? Any updates ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• bobdog
    bobdog Solar Expert Posts: 192 ✭✭
    Options

I know this is old, but for those of us looking at this thread, here is the new web address for Xantrex:

http://www.xantrex.com/

Of course just googling it brings it up as well.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i'm beginning to wonder after this much time what has been going on with them too as it seems they are more stealth anymore. even crewzer went below the radar.:cry: they are starting to act like a top secret government agency.:confused: well ok, a typical government agency.:roll:
  • arkieoscar
    arkieoscar Solar Expert Posts: 101 ✭✭
    Options

It seems like they don't know what to do with their RE (i.e. XW) line. The Xantrex line is focused on mobile (RV, marine, trucks) with no mention of the XW and you have to dig to find it. Maybe it's just the last thing to find it's place in the marketing plan.
  • Solar Guppy
    Options

From my understanding, Xantrex views their products more like other skilled trade products. This makes allot of sense as for both support, safety and liability, high powered solar systems are very dangerous to the uneducated or unskilled.

The XW line get connected to battery banks with thousands of amp hours, GT string voltages are in the hundreds of volts DC. Xantrex has a large distribution and support network, the largest in RE, but its professional dealers, not a DIY crowd.

I've been in this for now 10 years, and while it is just my opinion, I see many people "getting into solar" thinking its nothing more than zip cord and a car battery or use 2x4's for panel mounts with no appreciation for the dangers that lurk by improper equipment installation, lack of fusing ect.

DIY may not like Xantrex position, but I for one see why they take the position they do, they are number one in sales of RE for a reason.

There are many trades that are similar, AC systems is a good example, how many would venture into installing a split AC system? its no more complex than an XW system, so why the different attitude? similarly, you can't walk into your local AC supply place and get parts or support, they don't want people not trained for working on the systems

The truth is to properly install a high power RE system requires substantial skills to be done properly, now many here have learned this and appreciate the challenges and dangers, but we are in minority, by a large factor.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From my understanding, Xantrex views their products more like other skilled trade products. This makes allot of sense as for both support, safety and liability, high powered solar systems are very dangerous to the uneducated or unskilled.

The XW line get connected to battery banks with thousands of amp hours, GT string voltages are in the hundreds of volts DC. Xantrex has a large distribution and support network, the largest in RE, but its professional dealers, not a DIY crowd.

I've been in this for now 10 years, and while it is just my opinion, I see many people "getting into solar" thinking its nothing more than zip cord and a car battery or use 2x4's for panel mounts with no appreciation for the dangers that lurk by improper equipment installation, lack of fusing ect.

DIY may not like Xantrex position, but I for one see why they take the position they do, they are number one in sales of RE for a reason.

There are many trades that are similar, AC systems is a good example, how many would venture into installing a split AC system? its no more complex than an XW system, so why the different attitude? similarly, you can't walk into your local AC supply place and get parts or support, they don't want people not trained for working on the systems

The truth is to properly install a high power RE system requires substantial skills to be done properly, now many here have learned this and appreciate the challenges and dangers, but we are in minority, by a large factor.

Exactly my perspective and adding, as long as they build world class products I really do not care what people think.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• niel
    Options

from sg-
    "From my understanding, Xantrex views their products more like other skilled trade products. This makes allot of sense as for both support, safety and liability, high powered solar systems are very dangerous to the uneducated or unskilled.

The truth is to properly install a high power RE system requires substantial skills to be done properly, now many here have learned this and appreciate the challenges and dangers, but we are in minority, by a large factor. "

and from dave sparks,
    Exactly my perspective and adding, as long as they build world class products I really do not care what people think.

this is only an opinion raised by me and not that of this board or its host in view of the comments made.

to the point of no specs and info, manuals, etc. for currently known products even to dealers or those current customers with products is a kind of slow departing from the field in my view. it's one thing to limit products to experienced people, but that's not the way i see it and that's a lame excuse to hold back even on the info for the products. they want to look upon themselves as untouchable, then that's what they ultimately will be. if many other companies in the industry did this it would be slapping the hand that feeds them and those businesses would suffer so my guess is they are getting out of this aspect of the business. the only ones in the industry i've seen who limited products were those that were either vaporware or were limited in their production abilities to sell on a wider market as some pv companies experienced during the boom for germany.

yes, isn't that welcome news that they consider most here as idiots not worthy of their products.:confused::grr i have a new way of seeing schneider electric now that they've exposed themselves a bit here with their intentions through your comments sg. or are you speaking for schneider on their company policies or is it just your opinion?
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Options

While it may seem like a good idea to not allow any normal Joe to have access to the equipment I suspect that will bite them in the "Well you know where".
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭
    Options

It is always surprising to read posts where someone that knows nothing more about electricity than that when you flip a switch the lamp comes on thinks they are capable of building a solar panel or connecting expensive equipment into a system - correctly and safely.

The comments about how NEC is really unnecessary are good for a chuckle as well.

The Clarion type plug and play units are making the round again - probably some green blog is telling how wonderful they are and how terrible it is that they are not approved. People actually buy those stories?
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Options

I get to see this way of how information is restricted from both sides of the fence.

I am one of tech support guys for the company I work for. At least once a week we get a call for an end user asking for documentation on equipment they have. I have to in a very nice way tell them no, we can not give you that information.

It boils down to, if the end user fixes/adjusts the equipment incorrectly with paperwork we supply, we get blamed/sued. Yes we did get sued and lost.
  • arkieoscar
    arkieoscar Solar Expert Posts: 101 ✭✭
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    to the point of no specs and info, manuals, etc. for currently known products even to dealers or those current customers with products is a kind of slow departing from the field in my view. it's one thing to limit products to experienced people, but that's not the way
    All of the product info. is there, it's just hard to find on their site. I received an email from them in Dec. canceling their "Energy Club" that ended with this-"We are working hard to develop a NEW Loyalty Program designed to provide you with more tools, more training and more opportunity to grow your Schneider Electric business. Watch for more details on this exciting new program coming soon!"
    I'm hoping that this is true and that the problems with the GT inverters is delaying implementation of new marketing for RE.
    While I'm not as supportive of them as SG, I would hate to lose them as their XW line is the best out there for versatility and power.
    Dennis
  • Solar Guppy
    Options

Niel,

I have no ties with Xantrex, my comments are from what I knew when I worked as a design contractor now 4+ years ago.

I'm not sure what your personally taking offense too, I know there are many knowledgeable DIY in every field, including solar but its is true, that in a general sense, many venture into building things without the knowledge to be safe, and multi kilowatt solar does have the potential to be lethal or cause fires that could put others in grave risk.

Xantrex was before the latest buyout close to 200+ million in sales, they sell too wholesalers and dealers that have passed the Xantrex mandated training, no different than company's that sell boilers, AC systems and similar systems.

The ones that do direct sales are who are responsible for information, that's why they get 30-40% of the sales price. Windsun or your local dealer / installer has all the information, Xantrex is NOT in the direct sales business

My apologies if you felt my general comments on lack of experience was directed at you as it isn't
  • Dave Angelini
    Options

I own Schneider in my 401K and IRA so I do kind of care when someone says he can't find information on the internet about them. I know people love conspiracies
    but there is not one here. Crewzer has not joined the black helicopter crowd and we e-mail. I can just say that the late night show "Coast to Coast" on AM radio really is much better for this kind of entertainment.

These folks at Schneider have more model numbers than most companies will ever have in serial numbers. Let's pick on the folks in Japan trying to measure radition rather than how a major corporation chooses to run it's business!

• niel
    Options

i am only feeling slighted for those that do know what they are doing and i guess i am saying, or at least getting the feeling, that with this so called safety move of theirs coupled with the mess on their site (no excuse for this long) gives me the feeling they are moving away from us in general, aka, too big for their britches. i know from what i've heard that the xw inverter turned out well and that they have many products. (i do own one minor product) i see what is there and it ain't pretty right now. this to me is a bit of a move away from those that do want to diy and know what they are doing whether it is their intention or not. you can't go by their record before schneider took over and bring that forward to say it is wonderful now because it really isn't and people know it. they are shooting themselves in the foot some here and maybe on purpose to possibly move away from this aspect of the business. to say some people don't know what they are doing and sue you for their dumbness as a reason doesn't hold water because that will happen regardless. there's always somebody out there going to make a company responsible for that somebody's stupidity.

maybe i am not fully on the same page as you guys or maybe i get this in a wrong way, but i don't want xantrex to disappear or cut back on us. if we were talking about bz then it wouldn't bother me.:roll: i'll leave you with this question, did dealers or installers make xantrex a success or was it the end customers? i'll drop this now as it's not worth my beating it to death.
  • Dave Angelini
    Options

Neil,
    This is not something new, it is the way a multinational company operates. If you worked for one it might be easier to understand. This nice little forum is wonderful!
    It is what it is! I am sure they would like to know that you are happy. I am also sure that they have other issues, and pleasing the shareholders is just higher than this nice little forum.

The installers and dealers choose for the customers in this part of the business based on what they are comfortable with standing behind. Personally I welcome the competition and would love for someone else to build a world class complete system like the XW!

Hint, Short of that, build something that interfaces with the XW inverter/charger or it's SCP. Make something better!

The real news is that they now think that Bigfoot does not live here on Earth but only vacations here. They think they beam down and stay to observe during good weather.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Nice little forum you have here--I would hate to see something happen to it...

[yes--that is me making a joke...-Bill]
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    Options

deva, <<<see i can spell wrong too by transposing the vowels.
    yes i have worked for some before and i know what they do and why.

i know we don't compare to conglomerates, but the people are the ones who pay for the products. size doesn't always make them right in what they do and i cite the mess we the people had to bail these big corporations out of recently. that isn't my point here as i'm not about telling them what to do as they can be stupid if they like to. i just don't like less options for the people, customers, end users, and so on. this industry isn't as large as many think and every sheister and every good company that goes under is another foot in the grave for this industry and the people, customers, end users, etc. it matters not to me the size of the company and maybe more should come up with equipment that's bigger and better, but remember xantrex designed and built the xw and all of those other products and not schneider. as far as i know schneider hasn't done anything for the renewable industry. i know of a few companies that will sure give it a good go of it and unlike with schneider, the customer matters. i don't mind saying the names either as they should be proud of what they are achieving. midnight solar is one. there are others that are small too such as marc at rogue and i'm sure countless others on that same uphill battle.

if schneider is so good and so big and i see such poor customer relations it tells me quite a bit about where they could be heading and i wouldn't want to see that happen. i don't view it as just their problem and just a concern of theirs as it could be less options for us and end users of their products may not get a good shake if their concerns are for the shareholders. they forget their roots where born from the customer and not an immaculate conception of a company. this quaint little forum, as you call it, was born of northern arizona wind and sun's owner as a means of customer relationship and enlightenment. they are another company who values the customer and they have succeeded as a result. many companies are succeeding in this manner, in fact. seeing as how you revere schneider so much then go to their big forum. oh that's right they don't have one. not even a little one. too bad, i guess you'll just have to keep lowering yourself by being here.:roll:
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well said Niel! My reading of Mr Sparks last comment, (yes Mr Sparks, many end customers can actually read, and some of us can also spell) indicates that Schneider no longer gives a s**t about we the end customer. Shame really, but good to know, will definitely impact future purchase decisions by myself (yes, I know, "a nobody" in the eyes of Schneider) as well as the purchase decisions of many other informed end customers. Too bad, Xantrex WAS a great product. Pride and arrogance have ruined many a company, indeed many a government. Perhaps the highly valued shareholders might be interested in this enlightened attitude you display to us the end user? Just wondering. Have a nice day.
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Well said Niel! My reading of Mr Sparks last comment, (yes Mr Sparks, many end customers can actually read, and some of us can also spell) indicates that Schneider no longer gives a [***] about we the end customer. Shame really, but good to know, will definitely impact future purchase decisions by myself (yes, I know, "a nobody" in the eyes of Schneider) as well as the purchase decisions of many other informed end customers. Too bad, Xantrex WAS a great product. Pride and arrogance have ruined many a company, indeed many a government. Perhaps the highly valued shareholders might be interested in this enlightened attitude you display to us the end user? Just wondering. Have a nice day.

I have to say I answer a lot of questions every day for the general public and I think Schneider screwed themselves here. When I was installing full time my customers researched what they wanted as well and the Xantrex line very seldom made it into there list for a variety of reasons. Made in China, No customer support etc. Yes my customers would call the manufacturer and ask questions and more customers do this than you may think Dave.

In the end the best customer service will make you money period. Dave said it best Schneider has more part numbers than solar manufacturers do serial numbers. I can conclude from that they give 2 craps how many XW inverters they sell as it is such a tiiinnnnnnyyyyyyyyyyyy part of there business.

And Dave I will never pick on the guys in Japan my heart goes out to them and there family's.
  • Dave Angelini
    Options

All this editing, maybe I am missing the agenda. I like to think it is fair.;)