XW MPPT CC firmware update

Dave Angelini
Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
The new firmware that fixes a few bugs and adds some functionality is on the X site.

http://www.xantrex.com/support/web/type/21/docldoc_type.asp
"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
   htps://offgridsolar1.com/
E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

Comments

• Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Re: XW MPPT CC firmware update

Stickied this for a while so it does not get buried.
  • nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭

OK what do we need to update a virgin XW mppt cc
  • Dave Angelini

To do an update to firmware you need access to the system configuration tool. It is a USB to CANBUS adapter and software available from Xantrex. Some dealers will lend them.

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't the gateway work too ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Dapdan
    Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭

Dave,

Exact what bugs does this firmware fix and what is the added functionality if you dont mind explaining. I have an xw and it seems to be working just fine no problems to report. Is it strongly recommended that one does this firmware upgrade even though even thing appears to functioning correctly.

Cheers...
    Damani
  • Dave Angelini

Mike, no on the gateway! I was told that they only wanted one way to change the firmware to avoid a non technical from killing a working system.

Damani, this firmware has been out in Beta for over a year and since you are the first one to ask about what it does, can I ask what you would change or add to the CC ? Anything missing?

I will post it but there is nothing terrible about the bug and the other 2 changes are functional.

• Dapdan

Hey Dave,

I have the controller installed for about 3 months now and everything works fine. The main thing i would like to see change about the controller is the limit on the output amps.

1. I would like it to have no limit similar to how the C series were built. Quite often I would take the my previous C60 beyond 60amps (as much as 100Amps) and it would thermally shut down and restart went the temperature drops so that for that hour in the day or so when conditions are ideally i would be able to harvest maximum amphrs.

2. The xw seems to go into absorption stage to soon to me, this maybe my flawed preception though.

3.Equalisation; I find that I have to trick the CC to send more amps to my batteries by lying about the amphr of the batteries so that I can get the equalisation voltage as high as posible. Maybe this wrong but I would like to control this aspect because sometimes I may want to go against conventional wisdom.

I cant think of anyting else now, if i do I will let you know.

Cheers...
    Damani
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

#1, never happen, the connectors and internals are for the listed rating of 60 amps, you will never have a surge value user selectable. FYI, Outback removed that feature , the MX60 could be set to 70 amps, the Flexmax 60 ( same hardware ) is fixed at 60 amps.

#2, could be the firmware would fix this, there was a bug that in variable conditions is would transition to absorb to fast

#3, I believe the charger code uses a 15% maximum of the AH rating input by the user as the output current limit. If you want to charger at a higher rate, just change to saying you have a larger battery bank. It set to a safe conservative value so plug and play users don't smoke the battery's
  • Dapdan

Hey gup,

thanks, it was useful for me to get more current from CC for equalising when I am recovering AGM using the IOVR process that I have gone through in some detail on a previous post of mine.

THanks for the info.

Cheers...
    Damani
  • Dave Angelini

The bug fix was the absorption time counter started as the voltage increased past the float set-point. It should start as the voltage hits the bulk/absorb set-point. When I first got the unit 12/07 I thought The XW was really fast at completing absorption and this was why.

You can just add absorb time which will be an individual battery size/depth of discharge decision on the old firmware. If you can measure SG this is obviously the ticket! Others can just add around 20 minutes to absorb.

The battery capacity setting is slightly off with batteries near 400AH. I would suggest setting it to zero so the absorption goes the time you program. The capacity setting is triggered on end amps.

The main functionality additions in F5 are there are now 2 float times and an addition to the scroll screen of this data. If there is an XW in the system the time will be your local time of day from the XW and a log of hours and minutes in float.

The scroll screen will, if enabled, log this data. It is useful to some of my customers who are not geeky/tweaky, they can just stare at the CC, without pushing a button and see that they completed charge, the KWH, and what time this all hap pend. Other things also are logged in the standard scroll mode and there are custom screens for you to use.

There are some fixes on the next firmware for manual EQ for pros's and linked CC's.
    They are not biggies but have to do with one of the nice features if you have a non X inverter. Currently you can have multiple CC's and just a network cable for a very, very nice charge system. I can't tell you how many problems I use to have with all the tweaks to get the Outback multi CC systems to ALMOST WORK. Maybe they have got better!

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

EDIT:
    There appears to be an update, dated Jan 6, 2010 a 05 bin, so guess that this means that there must have been more BUGs to fix. Guess it must be too early to snag an XW MPPT CC !

Great to know that the XW SCC IS field Firmware upgradeable, but, would need to buy the implant tool @ $125.00 ... too bad that a laptop or even a Thumb Drive could not just be plugged in, and new file moved into the XW and so on ... WHINE !!

Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Dave Angelini
    Vic wrote: »
    EDIT:
    There appears to be an update, dated Jan 6, 2010 a 05 bin, so guess that this means that there must have been more BUGs to fix. Guess it must be too early to snag an XW MPPT CC !

Great to know that the XW SCC IS field Firmware upgradeable, but, would need to buy the implant tool @ $125.00 ... too bad that a laptop or even a Thumb Drive could not just be plugged in, and new file moved into the XW and so on ... WHINE !!

Vic

I think they did that to keep people (not you Vic) from stupidly crashing a working system. I fed back to them that for a grid tie it was just an annoyance. For offgrid it was unacceptable that a system was compromised by anyone (not like you) that had a laptop.
    The version 5 is the same one this thread is about... and none of the bugs are anything other than improvements and refinements to an elegant charge controller that set a new benchmark when released three years back.

• Vic

Hi Dave,

Well, am sure that I can crash a system as well as any other lid, but just bought the XW MPPT CC, which was mfg in Dec '09, so guess that it has the 04 FW, have not powered it up. BUT, now it looks like i need to BUY the Implant Tool to update it. Seems to me that this is NO protection at all, just a hassle and expense to get the tool that might update it or CRASH it ... no real protection. This is needed to update somthing that is proported to be field implantable. Nice to know that it is NOT impossible to do the job in the field, perhaps I just bought it too early. Perhaps I need to send it back to China where it was made ?

Suppose that a password could be all the protection that is needed. Know of absolutely no one even remotely close who may have the magic wand. OK, am done. Thanks Vic

YES thei is a WHINE
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Dave Angelini

No WHiners are allowed unless it is constructive or they have good Beer!
    You could just drive up above the haze to Mariposa and firmware version 5 will take about 5 minutes to install. What build do you have on that puppy?

• Vic

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the offer ... Have no plans to venture that far at this time ... Perhaps I bought the wrong CC ... Avoided the FM-80 for several reasons including the lack of field FW upgrades, but could send the FM back 5 times for the cost of the implanter. AM not an installer so seems a waste to get the 'tool' ... Just editorial comments.

Hope that the Midnite Classic has reasonable path to loading new FW. A password seems to be adequate protection to me ... Thumb drive, or USB cable to a laptop seems like an IDEA 73 Thanks Vic .. WHIne !
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

The Classic will upload software with a USB cable or over the Ethernet. I have used the USB cable many times and the windows program makes it a breeze if you can click on a button you can load new software.

If memory serves me there is a fail safe in the memory so even if you did stop half way threw the upload and trashed the software you just load it again no problems at all. Matter fact I got to test that feature here with boB
  • Vic

Hi halfcrazy,

Thanks for the info ... have been waiting ... & ... for the Classic. That is really the controller that I wanted, but need an additional MPPT CC NOW, so popped for the XW, which is prob OK functionally, and did want to see the difference FCC CLass B would make to my Hammie HF station ... OOOOPPPPS here goes a derailment ... Sorry. Thanks again. Have Fun, Vic
  • Dave Angelini

I did not know it at the time but firmware 5 also adds "Boost Mode" to the controller. It is a mode for liquid battery users who for some reason want to do a mini EQ daily. It will use more water but may help avoid stratification.

The boost mode will allow you to set a bulk V setting higher than the absorb setting and run for one hour at this voltage. After the hour, the CC drops back to what you have programmed as an absorb voltage and runs at this voltage for the rest of the time you have programmed in absorption time.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

"Les Nagy" sent me a PM that this link (in opening post) to the Xantrex site for firmware updates is no longer supported...

I will "un-sticky" this thread unless somebody can point to a new location where firmware information is permanently referenced (current firmware release levels, etc. page).

Thank you Les.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

At least for me, that link does not work on Firefox... It just brings me to the generic charge controller home page.

For me, I have to navigate to where the page I am interested in, then right mouse click in the frame that has that data (from Schneider), and click on "This Frame", "Show Only This Frame"... Then I can copy the link and post in the form (this strips the whole navigation frame context from Schneider which tends to over-ride anytime you attempt to figure out a link you can post/email somewhere.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Les Nagy
    Les Nagy Solar Expert Posts: 121 ✭✭

My links take you directly to the firmware pages which are the frames in the other page. My links work in Firefox 4RC1. But, as I said, these are not the latest firmwares, only the latest that they provide online. If you want the latest you need to call them as I said in my other thread.
  • Dave Angelini
    Les Nagy wrote: »
    \\

We went thru this once. Have you asked xantrex why they do not want this firm firmware on their site? I was told that this firmware is not being loaded on current XW inv/chg's for the reason that it is not great to have generators operating outside of the voltage and frequency that is nominal. Your thoughts?

• Les Nagy
    Les Nagy Solar Expert Posts: 121 ✭✭

I asked why they didn't have the latest on their site, and I was told they just hadn't got around to updating everything. I am not sure I believe that but I have nothing else to go on. I was told that the new firmware that had loser tolerances for syncing to external power was that they had more than a few complaints or requests to do so because of some very poor power grids in certain countries and locales.

The new firmware also allows for output frequency and voltage adjustment.
    (For the inverters of course)
  • MiamiSunrise
    MiamiSunrise Registered Users Posts: 22

Ok, potentially dumb question since it looks like the firmware updates are gone now (I really should have used my digital hoarding impulses here and downloaded them back when they were around)... but... what is this firmware implant tool, and how does it differ from and/or interact with the XW System Configuration Tool?
  • Dave Angelini

I do not understand your question? I see the firmware on the site. Download and install with the system cofig tool.