some what new to solar power

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
hey everyone i just signed up today!!
very cool site!!

im interested in having a solar set up
im not really to sure what all i need, i do have a 1600watt peak inverter by cobra it was giving to me

i need something i can charge up my marine batt's for my john boat at my camp site.
the lot has no power and it sure would be nice to recharge them boat battieries for the next day

it also would be pretty cool to have some wind power at home for my shed to run lights and radio maybe more!! i got two really good wind tunnel's and i live right next to a hugeeee field.

im on a budget but if i need to spend extra $ on certain things ill do it.

any idea's /information or anything really?

thanks for reading :D

Comments

• Slappy
    Slappy Solar Expert Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: some what new to solar power

what size batteries for the john boat (amp-hour), will you be changing out batts for use, (while one is charging, will you be using the other batt/set in the boat). will this be a portable set-up. or fixed mount system. The size of batteries and the number of batts will make a differance in the size system to be needed?
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Slappy wrote: »
    what size batteries for the john boat (amp-hour), will you be changing out batts for use, (while one is charging, will you be using the other batt/set in the boat). will this be a portable set-up. or fixed mount system. The size of batteries and the number of batts will make a differance in the size system to be needed?

here is the batteries i run on my boat
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Duralast-12-Volts-1000-CA-marine-dual-purpose-battery/_/N-25uw?itemIdentifier=107676&_requestid=156875

i got 2 of them
    i would like to have this set up on land on the porch of my camper or near the camper.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the typical 85ah marine/starter battery. It will take a pretty large solar array to recharge 2 of these, and unless you have 2 sets of batteries (charging 1 pair while using the other pair) it may not work for you at all.

If you have AC power anywhere nearby, it will be a lot cheaper to drag the batteries to that and recharge, then to install 600W of PV panels ( $3,000), a charge controller, ($200) and fuses ($20). And a Rack, to hold 3, 200W panels on.

And if you have a cloudy day, you won't go boating the next.

Maybe a small inverter genset like a honda eu1000 can power a battery charger for you.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

90 Amp hour (I looked it up).

So if you want to charge one at a time you're looking at (approximately):

4.5 Amps @ 14.2 Volts = 63.9 Watts / 77% efficiency = 83 Watt panel as a minimum starting point, plus appropriate charge controller.

Of course if you want to charge them simultaneously you need to double that.

In terms of output, don't expect one of those to give more than 540 Watt hours per day max, and don't expect them to last long if used this way; they aren't really designed for repeated deep cycling.

Before you go investing any money in small wind turbines, read through the section here on wind power. It's usually not the best return on $. :roll:

On the whole, some panel and controller to recharge these at a remote local isn't unreasonable:
    85 Watt panel http://www.solar-electric.com/kysokc85wa12.html $360
    6 Amp controller (w/ LVD for running DC lights) http://www.solar-electric.com/ss-6l.html $57
    Some wire and an automotive fuse to protect the circuit and you're good to go.
  • Peter_V
    Peter_V Solar Expert Posts: 226 ✭✭✭

Unless you're only planning on using the boat every other day, you'll need to charge both batteries at the same time.

Unless you plan on having the boat parked next to the array from 9 am to 3 pm, you'll either need two sets of batteries, or you'll have to mount the array on the boat.
    If you mount the array on the boat and want to have the batteries charged at the end of the day (they won't last long otherwise) You'll need an array large enough to power the boat AND charge the batteries at the same time.
    Since an array mounted on a boat will probably have to point straight up, to run the boat and charge the batts, you'll probably need at least a 300-400 watt array.
    Hard to be more precise that that without knowing what your daily energy use will be.