paint over spray on PV panels

dawgster
dawgster Registered Users Posts: 3
I made a mistake while painting my house and I got a little overspray onto a PV panel. Can I scrape the overspray off with a razor blade or is it better to leave alone?

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: paint over spray on PV panels

Use a flat razor blade scraper. You won't hurt the panel.

Tony
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

On a related note, I've noticed that in handling modules, it is easy to no more than touch the aluminum frame of one module to the glass of another (The way some modules are palletized makes this too easy to do). You get a little aluminum smear on the glass. Doesn't come off easy either! Solvents are useless on the aluminum - I figure there is some special coating or texture on the glass that the aluminum is ground into. Really have to work at scraping it off.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

I noticed the surface of my panels is slightly textured, not completely flat. A razor blade might not work as expected in that case.

Is the texture so that you don't reflect too much light off the surface instead of refracting it through the glass onto the pv crystal?

Ralph
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

acetone will remove most paint, and not harm glass. I don't know if you have an AR coating on the outside glass (very rare) in that case, I don't know if acetone will harm it. It will do bad things to the edge seal, so be careful to only clean the glass over the cells, don't go all the way to the edge seal.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Peter_V
    Peter_V Solar Expert Posts: 226 ✭✭✭
    dawgster wrote: »
    I made a mistake while painting my house and I got a little overspray onto a PV panel. Can I scrape the overspray off with a razor blade or is it better to leave alone?

I suggest you contact the manufacture and ask them. Just in case there is some kind of special coating, etc. that might be damaged by improper cleaning.
  • James
    James Solar Expert Posts: 250 ✭✭

I agree with Peter V about contacting manufacturer to be sure, but I don't think there is a coating...just the special texture.

In other unrelated projects I have been involved with regarding paint on privacy glass (similar texture but much rougher), I have used a scotchbright scowering pad, always wet, with a paste of go-jo or fast orange citrus hand cleaner. It seems to help disolve the paint and rub of more easily. Still, the cleaner, in concentrated form, is strong, so keep it off the seal and rinse right away and often. i think it will work on the aluminum transfer marks mentioned also.
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

One more option to try is one of those Magic Erasers, found in any grocery store in the cleaning isle. That is a brand name, there are many off-brands that are cheaper. The material was originally developed as a super-fine grit sanding material and then someone figured out you could safely get burned-on food off of glass stove tops with it (its the only thing that works on our glass stove top). Also works on many other materials, but in this case I would bet $5 it would work on paint or aluminum streaks on a glass PV panel.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Latex, oil, enamel, or lacquer? Makes a difference.
    There's a product called "Oops!" paint remover found in most hardwares that could be helpful. Never used it myself, despite having applied approximately 14 gallons in the past six months. Masking is good, but can't be done retroactively! :p
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    James wrote: »
    I agree with Peter V about contacting manufacturer to be sure, but I don't think there is a coating...just the special texture.

In other unrelated projects I have been involved with regarding paint on privacy glass (similar texture but much rougher), I have used a scotchbright scowering pad, always wet, with a paste of go-jo or fast orange citrus hand cleaner. It seems to help disolve the paint and rub of more easily. Still, the cleaner, in concentrated form, is strong, so keep it off the seal and rinse right away and often. i think it will work on the aluminum transfer marks mentioned also.
    This sounds like a good idea. A buddy uses that gojo soap to remove the yellowing from car headlight assemblys. They clear up like new.
    Solarvic